Author Topic: RCC to lose tax exempt status in Italy  (Read 3556 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
RCC to lose tax exempt status in Italy
« on: February 17, 2012, 04:12:36 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17072211

Prime Minister Mario Monti has announced the Vatican must pay taxes on non-religious property, from which it previously enjoyed an exemption.

The annual cost could be up to 720m euros ($945m; £598m) according to municipal government bodies.

Italy's Catholic Church has 110,000 properties, worth about 9bn euros.

It includes shopping centres and a range of residential property.

I was wondering this. Why should the RCC get tax exempt from non-religious use of property? In particular residential property.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
  • The Stranger With Candy
Re: RCC to lose tax exempt status in Italy
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 04:14:45 pm »
It's only fitting that the biggest, most successful corporation in the world be required to pay taxes. Sadly, I think the Vatican has more wealth than some countries....Wait...is that sad, or scary? Both?
Rangers Lead The Way..All The Way!

I would give a fuck, but I gave my last one to your mother last night.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 04:50:42 pm »
Ranger_Joe: I say both. And think very carefully about how they got some of those gains.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 12:18:18 am »
It's a GREAT START!

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 12:33:57 am »
Inb4 persecution complex quotes.

Well, maybe after.  I haven't checked the front page recently.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Jodie

• Cyborg Wannabe
  • Pope
  • WTF???
    • Doodles and stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 03:39:20 am »
Step 1: Take all of their tax-exemptions status away.

Step 2: Profit.

Step 3: Fix Global Economy.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Corinthians 13: 4-7

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 06:15:25 pm »
Good start. Now if only the Italians and everyone else would end tax exemption for all religions on all of their sources of income and instead tax them at demerit rates, I'd be happy.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 11:02:51 pm »
The Italian government will be smited --- smote ... smoted ... God's gonna be pissed!
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 06:51:36 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWO6TEEsyjo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWO6TEEsyjo</a>

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 07:17:01 am »
Good start. Now if only the Italians and everyone else would end tax exemption for all religions on all of their sources of income and instead tax them at demerit rates, I'd be happy.

Isn't part of the problem that most churches don't have an easy to declare income? At the very least cant most churches fiddle with their income numbers really easily to get around taxes.

Lastly what does taxing them at demerit rates mean?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 07:35:00 am »
Isn't part of the problem that most churches don't have an easy to declare income? At the very least cant most churches fiddle with their income numbers really easily to get around taxes.
Probably, but plenty of other businesses can do the same, yet that doesn't stop the government from at least trying to tax them.
Lastly what does taxing them at demerit rates mean?
Basically, taxed up the ass. Think alcohol, gambling and tobacco tax rates.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 08:30:51 am »
Is it wrong that the first thing that came to my mind when I read this was "You no pay-a the tax, you no make-a the rules"?  ???

Offline Keiro Dreamwalker

• An Puisín Faolchú
  • Pope
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 02:22:52 pm »
Is it wrong that the first thing that came to my mind when I read this was "You no pay-a the tax, you no make-a the rules"?  ???

Nope! :D
You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long. Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!

People so seldom say "I love you". And then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, only that I wish you didn't have to.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 02:32:37 pm »

As someone of Sicilian heritage, that made me chuckle a bit. I actually think it's funny.

As for the Catholic Church being taxed by the Italian government, I have to say good for the government to finally have the balls and stand up to this monolithic entity. I think that this will probably, in the future prompt other governments to do the same with the religious institutions in their countries.

I do believe in separation of church and state but that to me, is only dividing the ideologies and prevent the government and the church to rule over one or the other, such as teaching intelligent design in a public school, prayer mandates in government jobs, etc. However, I do feel that churches should be taxed. Especially now since most churches, particularly megachurches run as corporations and/or political platforms. There are plenty of churches and religious organizations out there that should have their tax exempt *cough* Scientology *cough* yanked from underneath them.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman