Author Topic: Kind of a dumb question about genetic heredity and protein.  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
Ok so, my family believes that we are of a genetic lineage that has a mutation that makes it necessary for us to eat meat or take supplements for meat proteins because we can't produce them ourselves.
My mother tried to become vegetarian, and she got extremely sick after about 2 months, when her doctor also told her she had to eat meat for the same reason.

I've tried googling this, but I don't have a very good grip of the terminology, so I get a half million results to my query and I don't know how to narrow them down.

But I want to know if this is a real thing or if it's an urban legend that's just been accepted in the medical community (which happens more often than I like to think about.)

Edit: Looking into it further, I think it might be an inability to produce or metabolize specific amino acids that aren't found or are less plentiful in plant proteins.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 05:25:53 pm by Quasirodent »
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
Re: Kind of a dumb question about genetic heredity and protein.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 02:59:04 pm »
It more likely that your mom's doctor told her to eat some meat simply because she was lacking protein.  Your body pretty much breaks every thing down and than rebuilds what it needs out of those building blocks.  Vegetarians sometimes start of lack protein, and some of the nutrients that comes with protein.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 03:50:44 pm »
20 amino acids are necessary to make all your proteins. Meat has all of them. Vegetables don't, but if you eat a wide variety, you'll get it some from each. So maybe it's just that there are some vegetables your mom should have eaten but didn't.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 03:54:24 pm »
I think that happens to basically anyone who doesn't eat enough protein in their diet. A lot of the vegetarians I know have to supplement their diets with supplements for precisely this reason because humans really evolved to be omnivorous.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.