Author Topic: Best of Social Justice- Redux  (Read 30245 times)

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
Re: Best of Social Justice- Redux
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2016, 12:29:45 am »
Btw, if you need somewhere to ask stuff in the future, GiantITP has a really helpful community. Just FYI.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2016, 12:37:46 am »
Really I thought it was just good for D&D related cartoons?

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2016, 12:42:51 am »
The forums there are just full of awesome people. There is a series of threads for questions about LGBT+ issues. Can't remember which subforum its in.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2016, 01:38:42 am »
That's fantastic, probably a consequence of such an excellent, if far too infrequently updated webcomic.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2016, 10:49:05 am »
The forums there are just full of awesome people. There is a series of threads for questions about LGBT+ issues. Can't remember which subforum its in.

Confidential Confessions. Stickied right up there at the top. And what's great is you can go there and all honesty questions and get honest answers. Definitions that this board uses.

I say that because my absolute hands down favorite UP defense has always been "Oh, I see. You're using the common definition of _____. I'm using the obscure/made up definition." He did the same with the term personal experience a while back. I forget the dpecifics, but it had to do with either rape or harassment.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2016, 10:58:35 am »
Not the one here, the one on the GiantITP forums.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2016, 11:30:54 am »
How UP regards his debate style:

How we see him:

Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2016, 01:28:21 pm »
How UP regards his debate style:

I don't think so, to my knowledge his mom has never come charging in to rescue his sorry ass.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2016, 03:20:41 pm »
I say that because my absolute hands down favorite UP defense has always been "Oh, I see. You're using the common definition of _____. I'm using the obscure/made up definition." He did the same with the term personal experience a while back. I forget the dpecifics, but it had to do with either rape or harassment.

His definition of "Best of Social Justice" seems to be "Social Justice that still excludes the sideshow freaks I don't like."
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2016, 04:42:30 pm »
Social justice about things that don't cause me personal discomfort.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2016, 07:12:52 pm »
Didn't I once point out that UP actually thinks he's got some credibility around here and how that view is basically so wrong it's laughable?

Ironbite-cause we came back to that point again.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2016, 08:49:53 am »
Regarding the conservative version of "political correctness".
McIntyre, a football journalist employed by SBS, lost his job after he sent out some tweets describing the atomic bombs dropped on Japan as ‘the largest single-day terrorist attacks in history’ and decrying ‘widespread rape and theft’ by Anzac soldiers.
No-one suggested his thoughts on military history bore any relationship to his ability to report on soccer matches. He was sacked purely and simply because he voiced the wrong opinion about Anzac Day.

How, then, do we describe the status of Anzac in Australia other than as political correctness? Isn’t this – a huge bureaucratic infrastructure designed to enforce a certain point of view – precisely what conservatives say they decry? Where, then, is the outrage when, every year, the ‘lifestyle cops’ and ‘word police’ find some luckless individual who offends against the PC version of Anzac and do whatever they can to punish him or her?

Nor is this an isolated example. The incessant Murdoch thinkpieces lambasting the censorious campus left masks the extent to which social conservatism has embraced a turbocharged version of the identity politics it ostensibly decries. Right-wing political correctness has emerged alongside an embrace of victimology, an obsession with quotas and representation (think of those articles totting up the precise number of conservatives appearing on each ABC show), and a tribal commitment to doctrine rather than evidence (the words ‘climate change’ come to mind). The offence-mongering over Ward’s Facebook is entirely typical: the people mocking university trigger warnings are themselves perpetually triggered, existing in a permanent lather of indignation over the scandals they whip up and reflexively demanding censorship of the ideas and the people with whom they disagree.

Yes, you can find that stuff on the left as well. But the difference is, of course, the right’s far more able to deploy real power to enforce its own brand of political correctness. Consider national security, another key shibboleth. When Zaky Mallah appeared on Q&A, the hysterical demands to implement tighter controls on that show were made in an environment in which anti-terror laws have dramatically reduced basic freedoms. As Jacqueline Maley notes in the Age, the Abbott government implemented legislation that left journalists facing ten years jail for reporting on ‘special intelligence operations’ carried out by ASIO. That came on top of all the other curtailments of liberty made in the name of fighting terror: the powers to ban books, declare organisations illegal, hold people without charges and all sorts of other innovations that strike at the basic values of liberal democracy.

That’s the context for the Australian’s bizarre contortions over Roz Ward. ‘Ms Ward is hardly a victim of those who would strangle free speech,’ declared the editorialist, the day her suspension was announced. ‘La Trobe University should hold her and others to account.’

Behold the authentic voice of right-wing political correctness, increasingly the common sense of Australian conservatives. Free speech belongs only to those we like – and everyone else should be crushed like bugs.

This! Because the wagging fingers of "tumblarinas" don't worry me as much as the pricks who actually run my country.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2016, 11:02:37 pm »
Should I start another Best of Social Justice thread or necro this one?

https://mic.com/articles/153149/actress-jen-richards-just-nailed-the-problem-with-casting-cisgender-actors-in-trans-roles?utm_source=policymicTBLR&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=social#.KysNEzxSm

While Hollywood may come up short when it comes to roles for transgender women, there's no shortage of transgender brilliance on Twitter.

On Tuesday, after news broke that Matt Bomer took the role of a transgender woman in the upcoming film Anything, Jen Richards, transgender actress and creator of the Emmy-nominated online series Her Story, sounded off on Bomer's casting, the state of Hollywood for transgender talent and how these decisions can lead to violence against trans women.

Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2017, 05:25:55 am »
Yep, a necro. I don't think this really deserves its own thread.

I had an interesting discussion last night with some friends that gave me a new perspective to the whole "special snowflake" thing with all the definitions and names for every nuance of sexual preference. A friend who identifies as a demisexual (as I found out) explained why he does so: it's actually the opposite of wanting to be special and different from others. For him, it's about finding people who share similar preferences and having thousands of people share the same identification and experience actually helps him be more comfortable with himself. It's not about trying to invent an identity to feel special or victimized despite the strawman (and probably some real "special snowflakes") making it seem so.

For me, the same emotional approach is just a part of my personality that I don't feel even deserves a separate term. On the other hand, I understand that because there is a certain kind of dating culture pushed on people it can feel comforting having that identity as a tool to deal with this pressure. As long as people don't confuse it with oppressed sexual identities I see no harm in this.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2017, 09:15:24 am »

Friendly Banter.