Author Topic: Tabletop Game Thread  (Read 31230 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Tabletop Game Thread
« Reply #345 on: May 13, 2018, 02:32:50 pm »
GM of the longest campaign I've been playing has been living in Lapland for a few years now, due to his job. Usually we just play when he is visiting south but this time we got 5 of the players to do a road trip to Lapland and play there for a week. (It's a big campaign, there are 3 more players but not everyone could afford the trip or get enough vacation days for it.)

I also got more inspiration for the DH2 campaign and the players want to keep going so that's a thing as well still.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #346 on: May 19, 2018, 03:21:02 am »
So, methinks I've become a bit obsessed with Sentinels of the Multiverse lately. Local game shop had a blue moon sale (as in, they always have a sale when there's going to be a blue moon), so I got the core set for about 25% off. And since then, I've bought all of the boxed expansions (two "Mega Expansions" and four regular expansions in two "Double Expansion" boxes), save the one coming out this summer, as well as a handful of "mini-expansions" (read: clamshells with a single Hero, Villain or Environment). So, I've got 25 heroes, 22 regular villains, 15 villains balanced to be teamed together and 19 environments to fight the villains in.

The core set comes with 10 heroes, 4 villains and 4 environments.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #347 on: May 19, 2018, 05:44:29 pm »
In one of my chat groups on Discord, a guy is hosting an "at-will" D&D campaign. People are allowed to have multiple characters, even simultaneously, but they can't use more than one per session. We're all having a lot of fun with it, even if it plays little like any D&D campaign I've played before. Here's a sample screenshot of the DM's organization sheet (the one he lets us see, at any rate.)

Anyway the point is it's a lot of fun and I'm exploring 5E much farther than I ever have before.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 05:46:05 pm by Eiki-mun »
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #348 on: June 07, 2018, 01:09:01 pm »
Dark Heresy went on a hiatus for the summer, so did the Only war and I've finished the Deathwatch campaign so for a while I'm not roleplaying 40k... Weird.

I am in a new 7th Sea campaign which is not only different setting but also has wildly different rules so this should be fun.

...And a DnD 5e campaign because I guess I should try that game as well at some point.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #349 on: June 14, 2018, 01:03:57 am »
1st or 2nd edition 7th Sea? I haven't played 2nd edition, but I did enjoy 1st edition.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #350 on: June 14, 2018, 05:42:46 am »
2nd Edition. Seems fun so far. So far the we haven't really dared to fail on purpose (you get a Hero Point if, instead of rolling to see if you succeed in a task, choose not to try at all and describe how the character fails.)

It really is a way different system from the ones I've used so far but I like it.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #351 on: June 14, 2018, 08:43:21 pm »
So it explicitly gives you the option fail intentionally. Interesting. 1st edition used the same roll and keep system as Legend of the Five Rings, which meant that it gave the option to fail intentionally as a side effect by giving the option to throw out high dice. This makes more sense with samurai, but is an interesting option no matter the setting.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:47:40 pm by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #352 on: June 15, 2018, 12:54:59 am »
Failing intentionally is the ONLY way to fail. BY default if a character attempts something they will succeed BUT there is an amount of bad things that will also occur and you need to use raises to avoid those. For example: "My character jumps off the roof onto the roof of the next building to escape the Villain's lackeys." *dice are rolled* "Your character is about to injure himself with the jump, your sword slips from your hand and slides down the roof and falls to the street. ...And the goon squad jumps to the same street and still chase you. You will need one Raise (dice or die which when counted together are 10 or more) to counter each of these."

If there aren't enough Raises then the player will have to decide which of these are most important and only choose those. If there are even more Raises then the GM may invent additional Opportunities, like one of the goons shouting to another and mentioning the name of their boss which the players hadn't known before. Or perhaps one of them drops his pistol while making the jump and another PC who is fighting on ground level sees it drop near him and can on his turn use a Raise to pickup the pistol and use it.