Author Topic: FIFA Corruption Scandal  (Read 3108 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
FIFA Corruption Scandal
« on: May 28, 2015, 09:57:31 pm »
http://www.wired.com/2015/05/fifa-scandal-explained/

Holy shit, this blows Deflategate out of the water!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: FIFA Corruption Scandal
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 09:59:11 pm »
Yawn, another FIFA scandal.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 12:20:13 am »
Everyone has known about the corruption for years, so this time there better be some results.

FIFA is a massive organization and these crimes went all the way to the top. Who knows, maybe most of the people there really are in it for the soccer and aren't taking bribes, but the leadership is going to need to go through a Stalinist purge (perhaps with slightly less lethal results) if they want anyone to believe in them again.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 03:52:42 am »
The fact that possibly the most corrupt one of the lot was not arrested, Mr step ladder himself, makes me think this was all a massive political play on his part. He either brokered a deal to get himself off the hook, or decided it was time to clean house and get rid of some political opponents.

Despite all of that though, I for one am glad they arrested them. Fifa is a parasitic abomination that has latched onto too many hopeful countries and bled them dry of anything resembling justice and tourism income.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 06:42:55 am »
The fact that possibly the most corrupt one of the lot was not arrested, Mr step ladder himself, makes me think this was all a massive political play on his part. He either brokered a deal to get himself off the hook, or decided it was time to clean house and get rid of some political opponents.

Despite all of that though, I for one am glad they arrested them. Fifa is a parasitic abomination that has latched onto too many hopeful countries and bled them dry of anything resembling justice and tourism income.

Isn't the investigation still ongoing? If so, Blatter may still be crushed under the wheel of justice.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 06:46:25 am »

Isn't the investigation still ongoing? If so, Blatter may still be crushed under the wheel of justice.

Hasn't the investigation been going on for 24 years? How much more time do they need?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 06:32:21 pm »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 01:22:51 am »
Oh look, Sepp Blatter got re-elected as FIFA President.

Oh look, it's time to shut down FIFA. If they re-elect him after all this they are giving their support to the same corruption that has been going on for decades. Certainly they have known about the corruption inherent in the system but earlier they could have at least claimed ignorance, now that it is out in the open supporting the rat king is unacceptable.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 09:54:37 am »
Oh look, Sepp Blatter got re-elected as FIFA President.

Oh look, it's time to shut down FIFA. If they re-elect him after all this they are giving their support to the same corruption that has been going on for decades. Certainly they have known about the corruption inherent in the system but earlier they could have at least claimed ignorance, now that it is out in the open supporting the rat king is unacceptable.

Then he turns around and rewards Asia for voting for him by letting them keep their 4.5 slots in the World Cup--which will actually be 5.5 in 2022 assuming Qatar remains as host--despite the fact that in the last World Cup, their teams were horrendously bad. Meanwhile CONCACAF is stuck at 3.5 slots despite putting three teams into the last 16.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 03:36:00 pm »
According to British media Finnish football association voted for Blatter...

Our association claimed that they were going to vote for a certain other candidate before the elections and after this story they refuted these claims so either the newspaper got faulty material or the association is lying about who they voted. In the latter scenario not only are they morons or incredibly corrupt but they are also lying over a trivial matter. Film at 11.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 09:07:29 am »
Meanwhile, Scientology is about to sue John Oliver out of existence.

John Oliver talked about the corruption in FIFA earlier [his main complaint being the Qatar games. He specifically said that simple corruption at least makes more sense than the possibility that FIFA is so stupid that they had honestly thought that giving the games to Qatar was the best choice.]

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 09:50:09 am »
Meanwhile, Scientology is about to sue John Oliver out of existence.

John Oliver talked about the corruption in FIFA earlier [his main complaint being the Qatar games. He specifically said that simple corruption at least makes more sense than the possibility that FIFA is so stupid that they had honestly thought that giving the games to Qatar was the best choice.]

Yes, I found that one really funny as well.

EDIT:

Wow. Just wow. Sepp Blatter quit.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 01:33:45 pm by dpareja »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 12:45:06 am »
Too little, too late.

If he had quit before the elections there might have been some hope that the worst of the corruption has been removed from FIFA. All the participants could have made claims of trying to change the system and so on.

But the mere fact that they chose to re-elect him proves that the corruption isn't limited to the leadership and the countries are willing participants in it.