Author Topic: Canadian Politics  (Read 1244 times)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Canadian Politics
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 02:27:40 pm »
When I hear people saying the left "failed to create a populist front", I hear "they failed to gather properly around a singular messiah".
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 09:17:54 pm »
Populist doesn't seem to have anything to do with what a candidate actual says but if they campaign based on yelling instead of facts.  Wynne raised the minimum wage to $14 an hour, cracked down on wage theft and introduced pro-worker laws and didn't get an once of credit for it.

Most of them likely think like my old man: "She blew a BILLION DOLLARS on the gas plant debacle!"

Of course, even he saw through the Kingpin of Toronto.  Apparently a number of other morons did not.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 01:51:04 am »
^I was talking to a co-worker about why he was planning to vote for Doug Ford:

Him: "Taxation is Theft!"

Me: "Er no, taxes are needed to pay for services like welfare, education, healthcare, police, etc that you (a retail employee with a two year old kid) need but can't afford out of your own pocket."

Then he gives me this look of shocked disbelief and in a tone that screams "I can't believe how stupid you are" explains very slowly and carefully in the most condescending way: "The government prints the money.  They don't need taxes.  They can just print money."

Then I tried to explain how economics works, but everything I said was clearly in one ear, out the other.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2018, 02:14:42 am »
You were dealing with a hick.

Their family tree is less a tree and more a bush of kudzu. Don't expect intelligence out of hicks.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2018, 03:27:07 am »
Never mind that printing money is a federal thing, the provinces have to make do with what they can get.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.