Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1550844 times)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #2115 on: December 30, 2013, 10:28:14 pm »
Yeah, that's my issue with them. There are no boundaries.

Who says?

People typically apply hate speech to gender, race, orientation, or religion, but what's stopping it from going further? I don't mean it on an individual scale (like an employer or university), but federally. Hate speech can easily be redefined to apply to other groups.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2116 on: December 30, 2013, 10:35:10 pm »
Is there any argument against it that isn't a slippery slope fallacy?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #2117 on: December 30, 2013, 10:52:02 pm »
Back on topic:

Welcome to Tumblr; Where viewing someone's public blog is akin to rape.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2118 on: December 30, 2013, 10:54:29 pm »
Back on topic:

Welcome to Tumblr; Where viewing someone's public blog is akin to rape.

The comparison is massively overblown, but it's not the viewing to which the writer is objecting.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #2119 on: December 30, 2013, 10:58:37 pm »

A number...

such as the first amendment.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2120 on: December 30, 2013, 11:00:13 pm »

A number...

Silly Queen, the Constitution only matters when its convenient.  You know, like the Bible.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #2121 on: December 30, 2013, 11:20:36 pm »

A number...

Silly Queen, the Constitution only matters when its convenient.  You know, like the Bible.

Of course, how could I forget the 2nd amendment is the only real amendment?

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2122 on: December 30, 2013, 11:41:30 pm »
A number...

I would like to propose the banning of alcoholic beverages. My argument: the 21st Amendment.

Freedom of speech has never been unlimited in any nation, for various reasons, and that includes the United States. The United States is actually rather unusual in its liberal view on hate speech laws. The more people who are allowed to advocate discrimination, the more people their message can influence. We're not exactly quashing a rebellion here, or censoring people from criticizing the government. This is about preventing people from attempting to further goals that reduce the civil rights of innocent people, or even have them killed or brainwashed.

The real irony in this is using nothing but the First Amendment to support allowing free hate speech in the United States, when you would immediately attempt to brutally dismantle a pro-gun rights argument that used nothing but the Second Amendment. Maybe even using very similar text as I had above here.

Regardless, this isn't an argument about gun rights.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2123 on: December 31, 2013, 09:32:19 am »

A number...

Second Amendment...isn't that the one saying I can shoot any commie pinko I see?  Or was that the one declaring America a Christian Nation?

QueenofHearts

« Reply #2124 on: December 31, 2013, 09:37:07 am »
* QueenofHearts sighs

here we go...

A number...

I would like to propose the banning of alcoholic beverages. My argument: the 21st Amendment.

And what exactly is your point? That constitutional guarantees of rights are not absolute? Cause I knew that from Schenck v. United States. Or that the constitution can be amended and portions removed? Cause I knew that too. Quite frankly, I fail to see the point you're trying to make.

Freedom of speech has never been unlimited in any nation, for various reasons, and that includes the United States. The United States is actually rather unusual in its liberal view on hate speech laws. The more people who are allowed to advocate discrimination, the more people their message can influence. We're not exactly quashing a rebellion here, or censoring people from criticizing the government. This is about preventing people from attempting to further goals that reduce the civil rights of innocent people, or even have them killed or brainwashed.

Goalpost shift. We are clearly talking about implementing them in the United States. See here

You mean you think we should have hate speech laws? If someone is convicted of hate speech, would punishment would they face?

Bolded for emphasis. But, then you asked this question specifically

And I answered the question. I presented a reason why they couldn't be implemented in the United States, because they're unconstitutional. In the link you posted, if you look at it, it mentions Brandenburg v. Ohio. That is a staple of free speech law in this country, if a I recall, a 9-0 decision. I would be surprised if it is overturned in our lifetimes. But of course, then you goalpost shift by saying, "well, lets ignore this reason, now why can't we?".

The real irony in this is using nothing but the First Amendment to support allowing free hate speech in the United States, when you would immediately attempt to brutally dismantle a pro-gun rights argument that used nothing but the Second Amendment. Maybe even using very similar text as I had above here.

Regardless, this isn't an argument about gun rights.

I love how you removed Ravy's post from the quote. You know, where he says "the Constitution only matters when its convenient.  You know, like the Bible." clearly showing he is, and by proxy I am, JOKING. But this shows your hand, you're looking to argue for argument sake.

Second Amendment...isn't that the one saying I can shoot any commie pinko I see?  Or was that the one declaring America a Christian Nation?

DISCLAIMER, MAKING A JOKE BECAUSE PEOPLE DO THAT: Ravy, it does both. That is the wonder of the Second Amendment, God gave it to us to protect our Christian nation by living in paranoia about "outsiders."

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #2125 on: December 31, 2013, 09:43:39 am »
Wiki's definition of hate speech: In law, hate speech is any speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display which is forbidden because it may incite violence or prejudicial action against or by a protected individual or group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected individual or group.

Given its broad scope, but I'm not particularly confident that our lawmakers can create and enforce such laws without bringing their own harmful political bias into it. This leads to selective interpretation and potentially serious limitations when it comes to freedom of speech, something that is protected by our first amendment.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2126 on: December 31, 2013, 11:53:00 am »

DISCLAIMER, MAKING A JOKE BECAUSE PEOPLE DO THAT: Ravy, it does both. That is the wonder of the Second Amendment, God gave it to us to protect our Christian nation by living in paranoia about "outsiders."

Aah, how efficient!  I figured we'd need 10 amendments to give us that, since it takes 10 commandments to get "don't be a prick" across.

Also, I don't bother pointing out its a joke, because my jokes are typically so obvious, that you'd have to be brain dead to miss 'em.  If Mr. B. Natural over 'ere decides to ignore 'em, well...I'll ignore him, too.  Not with any half-arsed ignore list, either, because I happen to be pro like that.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #2127 on: December 31, 2013, 12:02:38 pm »
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2128 on: December 31, 2013, 02:04:57 pm »
Wiki's definition of hate speech: In law, hate speech is any speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display which is forbidden because it may incite violence or prejudicial action against or by a protected individual or group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected individual or group.

Given its broad scope, but I'm not particularly confident that our lawmakers can create and enforce such laws without bringing their own harmful political bias into it. This leads to selective interpretation and potentially serious limitations when it comes to freedom of speech, something that is protected by our first amendment.

Sadly, while I wish we had hate speech laws, I DO have worries over the broadness.  I just want to stop fuckers like the WBC protesting funerals.  Or the idiots that say "if you're gay, you deserve to die" / "if you wear skimpy clothes, you deserve to be raped" kinda bullshit.  That should not stand in a civil society and they SHOULD face legal repercussions for what they say.

I'm reminded of a line from "God Bless America":  "What's the point in calling ourselves a civilization if we cannot act civilized?"
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

wrightway

« Reply #2129 on: December 31, 2013, 10:04:14 pm »
The Bethyl tag on tumblr seems to have decided that pointing out someone's publicly given age and tying it to their shipping preference is hate speech. I'd go grab examples, but that tag always makes me feel like I'm going to end up on a watch list.