Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1551176 times)

wrightway

Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #2415 on: January 27, 2014, 02:22:22 am »
I saw a picture on Tumblr of a woman carrying an Abercrombie and Fitch bag portraying a shirtless, muscular young man (like most / all of their bags).

Tags included fatshaming and fatphobia.

All that was in the photo was just a woman carrying a bag.

Was that the post where they had a very clothed woman and an overtly sexualized, mostly naked man? The one that asked how would men feel if they were posed in magazines like women are?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2416 on: January 27, 2014, 02:54:45 am »
Back to that picture complaining about white men becoming ugly as they age:

Were those people really social justice warriors? Because I thought that group is usually against racism and that whole conversations sounded racist. In fact, aren't SJW's the ones who complain about "fetishising" (I'm pretty sure that is not how that word should be spelled...) groups and ethnicities?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #2417 on: January 27, 2014, 03:13:26 am »
Back to that picture complaining about white men becoming ugly as they age:

Were those people really social justice warriors? Because I thought that group is usually against racism and that whole conversations sounded racist. In fact, aren't SJW's the ones who complain about "fetishising" (I'm pretty sure that is not how that word should be spelled...) groups and ethnicities?
They are SJC (social justice crusaders). Basically, they are to Social Justice what radfems are to feminism : people who grab the ball and run too far with it, to the point where they end up as racist (or more) as those they were originally trying to denounce.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2418 on: January 27, 2014, 03:16:45 am »
There's a tendency within certain segments of Tumblr's SJ community to insult white people's looks, aging, cultural practices, etc. as some kind of payback for white-centric beauty ideals and the like, or to claim that it's "satire" when called out on it. Mind you, I don't really have an issue with legitimate satire (i.e., there's a clear underlying message to what's being said), but it's pretty easy to spot the difference between between that and someone backpedaling after being called out on being a dick.

For those who don't see that difference...

Legit satire: Satirizing white-centric beauty ideals by writing a faux article providing white women with advice on how to look "prettier", with all of the outcomes resulting in them minimizing features commonly associated with Caucasians (mimicking the beauty advice given to women from other races in the real world).

Not satire: Straight up saying all white women are ugly in casual conversation, and then claiming it's satire when someone points out that you're being a dick.

Which isn't to say that some idiots hating on white people's looks on Tumblr is as significant a social issue as the white-centric beauty ideals being perpetuated all day, every day, but this kind of behavior is still 100% assholeish and ultimately counterproductive.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:31:06 am by The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2419 on: January 27, 2014, 10:44:35 am »
It's sadly very common for members of the oppressed or minority group (or groups that THINK they're oppressed minorities) to respond to bigotry and oppression by trying to oppress the other guys as payback. Instead of actually striving for equality like they claim, they demand that THEY be put in power and get to oppress everyone else in revenge.

I nearly got into a Facebook argument during the Grammys last night over Macklemore. A girl shoved her way into someone else's status (where he was doing his "live Tweeting" until his Twitter came back up) to essentially demand that he be booted out and stopped given attention because, as a white straight man, he's not allowed to stand up for gay rights. Of course, after responding to my reply she immediately declared "I don't want to hijack this so I'm ending the argument here", so she could end with the last word and make me look like an asshole if I replied.

What she didn't realize is just how divisive this turns the fight for equal rights. A straight white man works his way from slacking and poverty, forms an independent record label, achieves massive success as an independent artist instead of letting himself be tooled around by a record company, acknowledges his privileges, and tries to use his newfound fame and fortune to help the new civil rights movement.....and he gets shouted down because he's not gay? That does the exact opposite of helping: not only does it divide the gay rights movement by starting fights with its supporters for gaining too much prominence, but it makes the supporters of the movement look unreasonable and mean.

This is where someone would usually come in and talk about how Macklemore is only getting his prominence because he's straight and all the gay rappers are being "silenced" (never mind that Macklemore is, again, an independent artist who cultivated fame himself rather than needing a corporate leg-up like the vast majority of other popular artists out there). But that's exactly what Macklemore is trying to fight. A big part of his motivation is the homophobia in the hip-hop community that keeps gay and transsexual rappers from being heard. "Same Love" talks about that exact problem, and he's been fighting to ensure that it stops happening.

Frankly, we should be fucking ecstatic that an extremely prominent and popular rapper is loudly and publicly crusading for equality and trying to help the voices of the oppressed peoples be heard, rather than just making token efforts or saying something stupid (*coughBillyCoogancough*).
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2420 on: January 27, 2014, 01:48:06 pm »
I saw a picture on Tumblr of a woman carrying an Abercrombie and Fitch bag portraying a shirtless, muscular young man (like most / all of their bags).

Tags included fatshaming and fatphobia.

All that was in the photo was just a woman carrying a bag.

Was that the post where they had a very clothed woman and an overtly sexualized, mostly naked man? The one that asked how would men feel if they were posed in magazines like women are?

No, it was just one or two people walking, one of them carrying an A&F bag. And tagged with Fatshaming and Fatphobia.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #2421 on: January 28, 2014, 01:21:43 am »
The right to marry not only symbolically important, but it allots legal stability to the couple and to their offspring. Radicals I swear, y'all look too far you can't see what's in front of you.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2422 on: January 28, 2014, 01:26:55 am »
State-sponsored discrimination implicitly condones casual discrimination, so I'd say that overthrowing it is pretty fucking important.

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #2423 on: January 28, 2014, 01:39:27 am »
I'm not fond of being a mouthpiece for all queer people (which I end up being half the time anyway), but I'm going to say that most if not all queer folk want normal lives. Almost nobody wants to spend their entire life dismantling the patriarchy, and it's even kind of sad that convincing cis folk/straight folk that, yes, trans folk/gay folk are human beings deserving of the same rights and freedoms other people get handed as a matter of course. Yes, there will be people who choose to devote their time to smashing the patriarchy, but that's not everyone's cup of tea, and it doesn't have to be.
[/rant]
Personally, I think that a much bigger problem than "we're getting the wrong rights!" is "we have to be spoken for by white straight cis makes in order for anyone to pay attention". I'd like to see more famous, visible GLBTA* folks speaking on behalf of the group of which they are a part, rather than having allies steal the show every damn time. (I'd also like to see fewer white people talk about race and fewer men talk about abortion, but that's a rant for another thread). Notice I'm not saying "if you aren't X you have nothing valuable to say", I'm saying "it'd be awesome if more Xs were more visible on topics concerning Xs". Allies are valuable, but they're the stagehands of the social justice movement. They're responsible for making sure the actors -the people they're supporting- get a chance to shine.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2424 on: January 28, 2014, 01:41:45 am »
Government recognized marriage would be unnecessary if we lived in a world where our lives weren't governed by legal rights pertaining to family members and spouses, but unless these people are expecting a sudden, radical change in the way society is organized (and expecting that such an anarchist society could even function), marriage rights are pretty damn necessary. Not to mention the depth with which marriage is engrained into our culture, which pretty much dooms any alternative names ("life time partnership", etc.) to second-class treatment.

It's lovely to speculate about how things should be, but in the real world, you often have to work with what you have if you actually want to make some progress.

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #2425 on: January 28, 2014, 01:50:27 am »
I'm not fond of being a mouthpiece for all queer people (which I end up being half the time anyway), but I'm going to say that most if not all queer folk want normal lives. Almost nobody wants to spend their entire life dismantling the patriarchy, and it's even kind of sad that convincing cis folk/straight folk that, yes, trans folk/gay folk are human beings deserving of the same rights and freedoms other people get handed as a matter of course. Yes, there will be people who choose to devote their time to smashing the patriarchy, but that's not everyone's cup of tea, and it doesn't have to be.
[/rant]
Personally, I think that a much bigger problem than "we're getting the wrong rights!" is "we have to be spoken for by white straight cis makes in order for anyone to pay attention". I'd like to see more famous, visible GLBTA* folks speaking on behalf of the group of which they are a part, rather than having allies steal the show every damn time. (I'd also like to see fewer white people talk about race and fewer men talk about abortion, but that's a rant for another thread). Notice I'm not saying "if you aren't X you have nothing valuable to say", I'm saying "it'd be awesome if more Xs were more visible on topics concerning Xs". Allies are valuable, but they're the stagehands of the social justice movement. They're responsible for making sure the actors -the people they're supporting- get a chance to shine.

Well "normal" is relative. I'll give radical queers a bone in that they have a very strong point when they say much of the mainstream queer movement is too focused on assimilation and forget our radical roots (like uprising). It does erase the fact we literally fought tooth and nail to get where we are. Where they are wrong is in believing we're all suppose to be 100% "radical" 100% of the time and wanting to enjoy life is somehow "turning your back on the community". First, queer relationship is radical. It's been radical. It's a thing to be able to walk our holding our lovers hand in public because there was (and still is in some places) a time where such thing could get you mugged. Even Stonewall rioters thought the ability to slow dance was a radical thing and act of rebellion. Who is to say that starting a happy family isn't a rebellion? There are people who'd sooner see us gutted in the gutter than see us be in a happy marriage. Second, not everyone has the ability to be 100% all the time. Just as we shouldn't belittle queers for being "against" the norm, we shouldn't belittle queers who fly under the radars.

We sure as hell can belittle queers who throw the rest of us under the bus to line their pockets though. *looks at Log Cabin*
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:17:54 pm by gyeonghwa »
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2426 on: January 28, 2014, 09:10:47 am »
(click to show/hide)

Johnny Depp? Keanu Reeves? Brad Pitt? George Clooney? Stephen Colbert? Paul Mcgann?  Hugh Jackman? Robert Downey Jr? Jared Leto?

No you guys are totally right. There is no such thing as a handsome middle aged white man.

I wonder how many of these blogs claim to be "body positive?" Total hypocrites.

R. Lee Ermey?  Okay, he may have been born at around 50 or so.
How about for the ultimate lady-killing older gentlemen?

Fuck all y'all ageist pricks, Sean Connery is a sexy man at 83.  If I were gay, I'd be gay for Connery.  Well, him or George Takei.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #2427 on: January 28, 2014, 09:42:11 am »
I feel bad for laughing at "white folk truly age like unrefrigerated milk".
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #2428 on: January 28, 2014, 10:04:10 am »
There's a tendency within certain segments of Tumblr's SJ community to insult white people's looks, aging, cultural practices, etc. as some kind of payback for white-centric beauty ideals and the like, or to claim that it's "satire" when called out on it. Mind you, I don't really have an issue with legitimate satire (i.e., there's a clear underlying message to what's being said), but it's pretty easy to spot the difference between between that and someone backpedaling after being called out on being a dick.

For those who don't see that difference...

Legit satire: Satirizing white-centric beauty ideals by writing a faux article providing white women with advice on how to look "prettier", with all of the outcomes resulting in them minimizing features commonly associated with Caucasians (mimicking the beauty advice given to women from other races in the real world).

Not satire: Straight up saying all white women are ugly in casual conversation, and then claiming it's satire when someone points out that you're being a dick.

Which isn't to say that some idiots hating on white people's looks on Tumblr is as significant a social issue as the white-centric beauty ideals being perpetuated all day, every day, but this kind of behavior is still 100% assholeish and ultimately counterproductive.
Bonus points for said SJW being whiter than cream cheese.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #2429 on: January 29, 2014, 01:25:05 pm »
White people don't age well?

John Barrowman

Sir Patrick Stewart

So suck it.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen