Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1551206 times)

Offline Yla

• The Beast
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #3945 on: June 20, 2014, 05:20:23 am »
I've done some thinking:
I understand that humanity's unconscious desires put "absolute control" at the top of their priorities, but honestly, having a woman be a submissive slave that only thinks of pleasing you is just one fucked up fetish. Worse still would be harem works, where I've noticed a pattern that 85% of the women are either pure submissive or weak-willed Tsunderes, while only the remaining 15% can be legitimately called "human".
And then I did some more thinking, and realized that the idea that women are nothing but slaves and childbearers is what all human society has been raised up as, and it took until women were given the right to vote that anyone finally started seeing the reflective parts of the glass ceiling.
So that's basically a story of why I've decided that all shipping fics are 100% bad. Because if humanity can't understand the point of Rey Ayanami, then I have no reason to regard them as human beings.
I have no idea what this says but it's wrong.

It says that shipping fanfics tend to be power fantasies with weak and submissive women, blames the patriarchy for it, and concludes that shipping fics are universally bad, which may or may not be hyperbole.

It's not very well expressed. I tried to look at it in context but it didn't help (it's a comment in this YouTube video, which I didn't watch through because I got bored and I'd rather not waste ten minutes of my life trying to figure out context for a YouTube comment. So I have no idea if it's in response to something in the video or not)
Long story short, it was a Retsupurae making fun of a Fire Emblem ROM hack where the creator's self-insert was romancing a canon character.
<off-topic>When I first saw the term "self-insert" when I was a teenager, my mind jumped to a dirty place.</off-topic>

I do agree that most shipping fanfiction is bad, but there are more reasons than the treatment of women. It has more to do with lackluster writing and unrealistic characterization, if not outright derailment.
First paragraph: I don't match the 85% observation, but agree with the conclusion.
Second paragraph: Maybe a bit exaggerating, but still general agreement.
Third paragraph first sentence: non sequitur. You said earlier that 15% are okay, so why are these bad now, too?
Third paragraph second sentence: wait what

Overall, I don't think this quote belongs in this thread.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3946 on: June 20, 2014, 10:49:58 pm »
I've done some thinking:
I understand that humanity's unconscious desires put "absolute control" at the top of their priorities, but honestly, having a woman be a submissive slave that only thinks of pleasing you is just one fucked up fetish. Worse still would be harem works, where I've noticed a pattern that 85% of the women are either pure submissive or weak-willed Tsunderes, while only the remaining 15% can be legitimately called "human".
And then I did some more thinking, and realized that the idea that women are nothing but slaves and childbearers is what all human society has been raised up as, and it took until women were given the right to vote that anyone finally started seeing the reflective parts of the glass ceiling.
So that's basically a story of why I've decided that all shipping fics are 100% bad. Because if humanity can't understand the point of Rey Ayanami, then I have no reason to regard them as human beings.
I have no idea what this says but it's wrong.

It says that shipping fanfics tend to be power fantasies with weak and submissive women, blames the patriarchy for it, and concludes that shipping fics are universally bad, which may or may not be hyperbole.

It's not very well expressed. I tried to look at it in context but it didn't help (it's a comment in this YouTube video, which I didn't watch through because I got bored and I'd rather not waste ten minutes of my life trying to figure out context for a YouTube comment. So I have no idea if it's in response to something in the video or not)
Long story short, it was a Retsupurae making fun of a Fire Emblem ROM hack where the creator's self-insert was romancing a canon character.
<off-topic>When I first saw the term "self-insert" when I was a teenager, my mind jumped to a dirty place.</off-topic>

I do agree that most shipping fanfiction is bad, but there are more reasons than the treatment of women. It has more to do with lackluster writing and unrealistic characterization, if not outright derailment.
Yup.  The internet proved Sturgeon's Law right.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #3947 on: June 20, 2014, 11:00:11 pm »

"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #3948 on: June 20, 2014, 11:14:06 pm »
It's funny how "freebleeding", which started as a joke on 4chan, is now becoming a real thing. Anyone else remember the girl with a jar of period blood she had collected and used in cooking? How about the chic that secretly fed her boyfriend her period blood to make him a vampire, 'cause she loved the Twilight books.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #3949 on: June 20, 2014, 11:28:36 pm »

...you just had to remind us.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #3950 on: June 21, 2014, 12:20:13 am »
It's funny how "freebleeding", which started as a joke on 4chan, is now becoming a real thing. Anyone else remember the girl with a jar of period blood she had collected and used in cooking? How about the chic that secretly fed her boyfriend her period blood to make him a vampire, 'cause she loved the Twilight books.

Apparently the nounself movement started as a transphobic joke before it was snatched up by the special snowflakes.  The post that claimed this had a link about it, but it was broken, so I have no actual proof.

Also, there's this post on the origins of the word 'demisexual'.  Long story short, the term 'demisexual' was created by a 15 year old girl on an RP forum, and, as a the OP believes it, it blew up on tumblr when the OP themselves threw the word out there as a joke to someone in the then fledgling tumblr SJ community.  The only bad thing I can see about the post is that it looks they don't take asexuality very seriously ("asexuality and other such nonsense"), though it might be due to seeing it thrown around so much now, like with the other sexuality labels.

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #3951 on: June 21, 2014, 12:31:39 am »
Sexuality labels. There's heterosexual, bisexual, homosexual, asexual and if you want to include it, pansexual. Shouldn't be harder than that.

Special snowflakes are infuriating.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3952 on: June 21, 2014, 12:52:24 am »
Even pansexual is redundant at best.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3953 on: June 21, 2014, 12:55:16 am »
Even pansexual is redundant at best.

No, not really.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #3954 on: June 21, 2014, 01:40:26 am »
http://dramarising.tumblr.com/post/89425062553/the-term-intersex-is-an-incredibly-simplistic

I'll quote the two things that stand out most to me:

I’m just going to highlight the fact that any stigma against intersex individuals is particularly stupid. We are all intersex and produce testosterone and oestrogen though the amount varies depending, again, on (guess what) epigenetic, genetic and environmental factors. Oestrogen even comes from testosterone and is made via chemical modfication x’D

I . . . don't think that's how being intersex works?  We have those hormones because they have other important functions besides denoting sex.

The fact that transgendered and intersex individuals even exist suggest that there’s a possible benefit in having variation in sexual identities. If all the XX and XY individuals became disadvantaged due to an environmental change, then perhaps XO and XXY would be fitter and the human race wouldn’t just die out. The same with gender identities.

I don't think that's how evolution works, either (i.e. if it exists, it must be beneficial somehow).  Seriously, they make it sound like there's some sort of "plan" in motion, and that intersex people are meant to be some sort of failsafe for some unspecified hypothetical disaster that will only affect XX and XY individuals, leaving the intersexed and trans* people to be the saviors of humanity.  It actually kind of reminds me how the director of Melancholia believed that depression made people "smarter" and "more aware", and that if these very specific circumstances happened, they'd totally be the only sane people!  As Oancitizen put it, he has to bring literally the entire planet into a state lower than himself in order to "prove" how depressed people would be better than "normal people".

And no, I'm not comparing intersex and trans* to something harmful like depression.  It's just that the OP's straw grasping about how intersex could be an advantage reminded me of Melancholia's straw grasping about how depressed people would be "saner" than "normal" people; by having everyone not like them in a situation where they'd suffer more.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:43:01 am by Iosa the Invincible »

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #3955 on: June 21, 2014, 02:00:59 am »

"Quoi_kalosromantic"
It's like they're trying to compensate for their lack of a personality.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3956 on: June 21, 2014, 02:15:35 am »

"Quoi_kalosromantic"
It's like they're trying to compensate for their lack of a personality.

Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #3957 on: June 21, 2014, 02:36:33 am »
None of jebus's images load for me for some reason.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #3959 on: June 21, 2014, 10:33:14 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0USsMKUFd4c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0USsMKUFd4c</a>

It's time for our lesson on Appropriation.