Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1549379 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #6915 on: September 09, 2015, 04:47:19 pm »
Oh is it that time of the month?  Guess UP has to bring up a certain subject he's been told not to again.

Ironbite-let's watch him try and justify this.

Even Then

« Reply #6916 on: September 09, 2015, 05:02:29 pm »
Quote from: UP
Obviously, not all criticism of sexualized female characters is misogynistic.  But this honestly strikes me as such.  Comparing women with big breasts to blackface caricatures is dehumanizing.

Moreover, there are busty women who actually want women with bigger breasts in games, because it makes them feel represented:

https://twitter.com/alison_prime/status/624419644804366336

"Be quiet, honey.  Men are talking about how oppressed you are."

...okay? That's real neat for those women, and their experiences and feelings on the matter are still valid, I've never questioned this. Wanting to see yourself in fiction is completely legit.

But. And here's the kicker. That doesn't make the opinion of women who do have a problem with oversexualized female character designs any less valid. It doesn't work that way. It's not matter and antimatter.

Oh, of course not.  I never said it did.

I've just encountered this attitude of "well, some members of <group> don't MIND this, therefore the ones that DO are just whining for no reason" so many damn times that my patience grows thin whenever I catch even a whiff of it. You probably weren't intentionally trying to come across like that, but other jackfucks on Tumblr and such always keep bringing up that particular fringe of women that doesn't mind catcalling/oversexualization/etc. as a bludgeon, as a "checkmate" against feminism.

Fuck, that peeves me.

Oh is it that time of the month?  Guess UP has to bring up a certain subject he's been told not to again.

Ironbite-let's watch him try and justify this.

Sorry, I was the one who incited this conversation to begin with.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6917 on: September 09, 2015, 05:06:48 pm »
Quote from: UP
Obviously, not all criticism of sexualized female characters is misogynistic.  But this honestly strikes me as such.  Comparing women with big breasts to blackface caricatures is dehumanizing.

Moreover, there are busty women who actually want women with bigger breasts in games, because it makes them feel represented:

https://twitter.com/alison_prime/status/624419644804366336

"Be quiet, honey.  Men are talking about how oppressed you are."

...okay? That's real neat for those women, and their experiences and feelings on the matter are still valid, I've never questioned this. Wanting to see yourself in fiction is completely legit.

But. And here's the kicker. That doesn't make the opinion of women who do have a problem with oversexualized female character designs any less valid. It doesn't work that way. It's not matter and antimatter.

Oh, of course not.  I never said it did.

I've just encountered this attitude of "well, some members of <group> don't MIND this, therefore the ones that DO are just whining for no reason" so many damn times that my patience grows thin whenever I catch even a whiff of it. You probably weren't intentionally trying to come across like that, but other jackfucks on Tumblr and such always keep bringing up that particular fringe of women that doesn't mind catcalling/oversexualization/etc. as a bludgeon, as a "checkmate" against feminism.

Fuck, that peeves me.

Okay, I think I get you.  But don't worry, I don't believe in broad strokes dismissals.  Women make up half the world's population, so we shouldn't dismiss women who think one way just because some other women have a different opinion.

Even Then

« Reply #6918 on: September 09, 2015, 05:11:19 pm »
Amen.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6919 on: September 09, 2015, 05:26:44 pm »

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6920 on: September 09, 2015, 05:46:49 pm »
dear god, the doublethink. what about black panthers and the like? are they prejudiced against whites when they broadly claim "black power"? or what about latinos who are racist as all hell? hell, there's a pretty famous idiot black supremacist who's been cited on fstdt quite a few times advocating the genocide of whites (and latinos just to be sure)...
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6921 on: September 09, 2015, 07:32:34 pm »
Assata Shakur says hi.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #6922 on: September 09, 2015, 09:47:25 pm »
dear god, the doublethink. what about black panthers and the like? are they prejudiced against whites when they broadly claim "black power"? or what about latinos who are racist as all hell? hell, there's a pretty famous idiot black supremacist who's been cited on fstdt quite a few times advocating the genocide of whites (and latinos just to be sure)...
That black panthers weren't really black supremacists (no, I'm not saying they weren't crazy), the CoI on the other hand, was.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6923 on: September 09, 2015, 09:48:14 pm »
That black panthers weren't really black supremacists (no, I'm not saying they weren't crazy), the CoI on the other hand, was.

Well, the New Black Panthers definitely are.

And who are the CoI?

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #6924 on: September 09, 2015, 09:49:10 pm »
Church of Islam

Edit: not sure why I shortened it.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6925 on: September 09, 2015, 09:51:45 pm »
Church of Islam

Edit: not sure why I shortened it.

I think you mean the Nation of Islam.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #6926 on: September 09, 2015, 11:32:43 pm »
Oh, yeah.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6927 on: September 10, 2015, 12:01:17 pm »

Go fuck yourself.  When you're having dick-measuring contests over which homeless people have it the worst, you've crossed the line from obnoxious to abhorrent.

Offline VainRobot

• Apprentice
  • The Poster Formerly Known as Mira
« Reply #6928 on: September 11, 2015, 03:13:28 pm »

Go fuck yourself.  When you're having dick-measuring contests over which homeless people have it the worst, you've crossed the line from obnoxious to abhorrent.

Poverty is terrible for everyone who deals with it, but it is true that white Americans experience significantly more social mobility than black Americans.

http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/social-mobility-memos/posts/2013/08/28-social-mobility-race-opportunity-reeves

Offline VainRobot

• Apprentice
  • The Poster Formerly Known as Mira
« Reply #6929 on: September 11, 2015, 03:19:03 pm »

Yeah, white people should speak American!!