Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1549723 times)

pyro

Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #7725 on: November 24, 2015, 02:29:02 pm »
This isn't comparing a level of oppression. What he is trying to say is that focusing solely on males committing more suicides ignores that this is due to men being less likely to seek out mental help. It seems a tad counterproductive to the ends of reducing male suicide to ignore social factors like this that directly contribute. More so to the point, it seems like one of the best ways to deal with the issue of male suicides is to focus on this aspect of patriarchy: all the male suicide PSA's in the world will do nothing if men are still afraid to seek mental help when necessary due to some silly notion of masculinity.

That's a decent reading of the OP, but I'm not sure how "men are allowed to have problems worth getting together as a society to solve" doesn't address men being unwilling to seek help.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #7726 on: November 24, 2015, 03:00:49 pm »
On mobile so I can't quote very well. Speaking personally, I won't deny that there's a valid point to be made about the effects of overwhelming pressure to be masculine on men. However, it becomes much harder to take him seriously when it's grouped up with openly mocking tweets like "lol every day is men's day", as if we spend literally 364 days of the year bringing up social awareness of men's issues. That's what I take issue with. Because really, we don't. If we did, they'd be solved by now. That's the point of the day in question.

Edit: And to clarify, the APA source is more than sufficient. Thank you, Queen.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 03:05:55 pm by Eiki-mun »
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7727 on: November 24, 2015, 03:06:43 pm »
@The_Queen

Unfortunately quite often these turn into an "Who is more oppressed" contest and then to claims that only those who are suffering the most need help and everyone else should be ignored. ...MRAs are particularly fond of that tactic. So are racists now that I think about it "Why are you wasting money on immigrants when we have homeless people in our country?" and so on.

In my opinion, we should acknowledge that a lot of things need to be fixed and particularly when we are talking about issues such as depression there is no need to try to find just one group of people who are in the biggest risk group and ignore everyone else.

And for the record, I am not trying to say that men are worse off than women, I am well aware that women are worse off than men currently but I just think that men's day is not a problem because the point isn't that we should ignore women's problems, not even on that day, it's was created to highlight the problems that men face so that they could get more recognition.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #7728 on: November 24, 2015, 03:21:12 pm »
queen, i'm not an idiot. the problem wasn't with "big words", or even with pathology, but with "male privilege", and you know it. now, if you search pathology on google, you will find that definition. i don't understand the link between the word "pathology" and the concept of male privilege. pathology implies it's a disease. male privilege may be endemic, but it's not a disease.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #7729 on: November 24, 2015, 04:34:34 pm »
How very mature: disregard the sociological point he is making regarding patriarchy contributing to male problems so that you may intentionally misinterpret his point as misandrist because he thinks your men's day is silly.

Except the only "social point" I can see him "making" is: "You're a male so you don't matter." If there is any other point he's trying to make, I must be too stupid to see it. Damn that penis, blinding me to his totally nuanced statement.

I think it's silly also. Big whoop.

You're right, it is silly to have a day to bring awareness to inequalities and problems regarding boys failing in education, male suicide rates (but women TRY as much as men, so fuck men, right?), lack of rights for willing fathers, the shocking number of male victims of domestic violence, the fact that often when men do actually call domestic violence hot lines, they're laughed at or told there's no way to help them because the shelters are "women and children only," the fact that being "made to penetrate" is considered a separate category of offense to "rape," men who are made to penetrate a woman aren't considered to have been raped, the gender bias in the court system, the fact that victims of female-on-male rape can be forced to pay child support, even when they were raped as a child and the fact that by society in general, no one will talk about the issues men face because "equality for everyone" is "misogynistic."

Yeah, it's "silly" to have one god damn day to maybe address these issues before we go back to talking about the REALLY IMPORTANT things.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Even Then

« Reply #7730 on: November 24, 2015, 04:42:57 pm »
You know, for someone who's angry about diminishing issues a gender faces, you sure do like reducing feminism to just "manspreading".

Offline Damen

• The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
« Reply #7731 on: November 24, 2015, 04:46:39 pm »
Saying it once sarcastically shows I "really like" that?
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Even Then

« Reply #7732 on: November 24, 2015, 04:55:29 pm »
Apparently, since you're, you know, doing it.

And no, I'm not trying to say that men don't suffer issues. That would be asinine. But hypocrisy's hypocrisy.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:58:37 pm by Even Then »

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #7733 on: November 24, 2015, 05:05:44 pm »
Ah, never mind. I had missed the part where Queen called the entire concept of a day about men's issues silly. Fuck off. What's next, getting rid of Father's day because of all that privilege fathers have?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Even Then

« Reply #7734 on: November 24, 2015, 05:09:03 pm »
Yeah, okay, that was inappropriate of Queen tbh.

Offline Damen

• The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
« Reply #7735 on: November 24, 2015, 05:12:55 pm »
Apparently, since you're, you know, doing it.

And no, I'm not trying to say that men don't suffer issues. That would be asinine. But hypocrisy's hypocrisy.

Once. In angry sarcasm. "Once" does not "really like to" mean. I'm not too sure how much more clearly I can say this.

Do you think I'm not aware of the issues women face? I am fully aware that they face their own issues from being passed over for promotions at work due to bullshit reasons that have nothing to do with the work they do, to often having no help at home after work for daily stuff, to the constant attacks on their reproductive rights, the lack of proper accommodations at work for women who are pregnant, to being ignored because of what's between their legs. But, as SCarpelan said, empathy is not a zero sum game and giving a day to men to bring up issues unique to them is no more silly than giving a day to women so they can voice their grievances. Treating it as "silly" or "lol, every other day is men's day" does absolutely nothing to further the discussion of greater equality for the sexes.
"Fear my .45"

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Even Then

« Reply #7736 on: November 24, 2015, 05:24:16 pm »
Okay, fair enough. I apologize. I've just encountered too many jackasses with the attitude of "lol manspreading is clearly the only thing these feminazis care about", and that coloured my perception. It shouldn't have.

Offline Damen

• The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
« Reply #7737 on: November 24, 2015, 05:27:25 pm »
Apology accepted. :)
"Fear my .45"

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #7738 on: November 24, 2015, 08:58:32 pm »
Are zombies ableist? A lot of people in my family are disabled, like myself and my dad cannot walk far without his wheelchair. It seems like zombies have trouble walking, skin problems and maybe injured brains. They talk slow and are able to often say brains. Am I being rude or reading too much into things? Sorry if I am. My dad's severely brain injured and he's not a zombie. But zombies don't really seem dead. Is this a negative portrayal of disability or am I mistaken?
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7739 on: November 24, 2015, 09:06:42 pm »
Usually, zombies are a metaphor for consumerism...
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.