Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1549625 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #8295 on: February 26, 2016, 01:30:07 am »
The meme could be consider internally homophobic if "cliche" means "common occurrence" so the person is essentially saying "Im not like the other gays!"

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #8296 on: February 26, 2016, 02:11:22 am »
The meme could be consider internally homophobic if "cliche" means "common occurrence" so the person is essentially saying "Im not like the other gays!"

The way I read it was basically using the word "cliche" for "stereotype", honestly. Which isn't quite accurate, but who uses perfect English?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #8297 on: February 26, 2016, 03:24:09 am »
There is no need to try to use linguistics and inferences to go after UltimateParagon. There is ample material in F&B.

Instigating outside of it cannot advance anything.

As for the material posted, I'm seeing it as someone trying to say that they're not a stereotype, which is all good, and then someone saying that not making your gayness readily apparent is in some way homophobic. It does however need to be said that for some people they cannot be overtly gay, as they live in a paleoconservative hellhole like the weird Theocracy / Fascist Government of Hungary.

And it comes down to personal will and expression, which the person responding to this image has no business infringing upon.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #8298 on: February 26, 2016, 04:12:44 am »
There is no need to try to use linguistics and inferences to go after UltimateParagon. There is ample material in F&B.

I actually agree with UP on this one, if a gay guy announces that they aren't into shopping, fashion or whatever that's not "internalised homophobia" because not being into shopping and fashion or being into shopping and fashion really has nothing to do with who you'd rather fuck.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #8299 on: February 26, 2016, 11:50:28 am »
But if you're not limp wristed and flaming, how are the rest of us supposed to know you're gay? Just like if I'm not all macho and meat headed, how is anyone else supposed to know I'm straight? Aren't people's lives supposed to be 110%centered on who sleeps with who? I like women and everything else is secondary. Dude likes men, everything beyond that is footnotes. Right?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #8300 on: February 26, 2016, 02:50:19 pm »
If you look at the hashtag, it calls it "femmephobia".  This is actually consistent with similar posts I've seen, like one where a girl said that having tattoos and a "butch" haircut didn't make her gay or trans, and people called her out for homophobia and transphobia.  The reasoning is that, if you feel the need to fight stereotypes, then you view those qualities as "problematic" or "negative" or "bad"; why else would you feel the need to correct people if you were afraid of being associated with those traits?  This means it's becoming more difficult to fight stereotypes, because being mistaken for gay or trans shouldn't be some horrible mistake to fight against, which is what you're doing in their eyes.  By pointing out that he's not a stereotypical gay man, the responder probably saw it as a proclamation that these traits are inherently bad for gay men to have.

The way I'm seeing it is that it creates the issue of "fighting stereotypes to destroy gender roles that are the root cause of some of our social problems" vs. "letting marginalized groups uphold those same stereotypes so they that have something claim and take pride in".

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8301 on: February 26, 2016, 05:49:59 pm »
But if you're not limp wristed and flaming, how are the rest of us supposed to know you're gay? Just like if I'm not all macho and meat headed, how is anyone else supposed to know I'm straight? Aren't people's lives supposed to be 110%centered on who sleeps with who? I like women and everything else is secondary. Dude likes men, everything beyond that is footnotes. Right?
Shit, you're right. Fuck, I've got to go watch some football, and then beat up someone for liking a different team.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8302 on: February 26, 2016, 07:01:51 pm »
Isn't that how Aussie gays say hello?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8303 on: February 26, 2016, 07:10:06 pm »
Shit, you're right. Fuck, I've got to go watch some football, and then beat up someone for liking a different team.

So do you barrack for Collingwood or Geelong?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8304 on: February 26, 2016, 07:15:32 pm »
Partly. You forgot the hot, sweaty make up sex after the fight.

I'm from New South Wales, so neither. In my neck of the woods, "football" means rugby league.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8305 on: February 26, 2016, 07:27:56 pm »

I'm from New South Wales, so neither. In my neck of the woods, "football" means rugby league.

Ah, my apologies. I was aware of the split, I just was unaware of which part of Australia you're from.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #8306 on: February 26, 2016, 07:30:21 pm »

Aaah, the game where the players beat each other up so the fans can relax.

No worries then.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8307 on: February 26, 2016, 07:32:50 pm »

Aaah, the game where the players beat each other up so the fans can relax.

No worries then.
That and occasionally pull each other's pants down.

Honestly, it happens far more often than you'd think.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #8308 on: February 29, 2016, 12:46:43 am »
People are getting upset about a white actor being cast to play Iron Fist.  Why is this so stupid?  Because Iron Fist is white!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #8309 on: February 29, 2016, 01:11:32 am »
People are getting upset about a white actor being cast to play Iron Fist.  Why is this so stupid?  Because Iron Fist is white!
Upset? Dickens just seems to be disappointed that they didn't go to a new direction with a character. There is no wharrgarble in the tone, it's just an opinion why she thinks a well written Asian Iron Fist would have been a more interesting idea. She isn't calling the change racist so I don't find her opinion stupid.

I disagree with her since changing a martial arts based super hero's ethnicity to Asian opens a whole another can of stereotype worms. Keeping him non-Asian and just changing the backstory to a less offensive one seems to be a better option.