Community > Science and Technology

Particles break E=MC^2 equation

(1/2) > >>

Eniliad:

--- Quote --- NOV 21 2011
Geneva - Physicists at CERN have rerun tests conducted in September which suggested that neutrinos travel faster than light. The latest results are consistent with those of the first received with skepticism after faults were found in the experiment design.
--- End quote ---

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/314640

Jack Mann:
Here's a comment by Phillip Plait.  To summarize, it didn't confirm that they broke relativity, but it eliminated one possible source of errors.  However, a lot of scientists also felt there might be a problem with the way they timed things, and this experiment used the same timing methods as the first.  So, this is interesting, and potentially big news, but it's a little premature to say that they've actually proven it.  They're just closer.

I haven't heard anything since the November experiment, so as far as I'm aware, they're still working on getting a more conclusive result.

Vene:
This has been disproven already. Have a link.

Eniliad:
Damn it, you spoiled my fun. I was planning all the time-machine-related murd-

I mean... ice cream.

Jack Mann:
It should also be noted that the scientists at CERN never said they'd broken the lightspeed barrier.  They only said that those were the results, and asked other researchers to check them to figure out what was going on. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version