Author Topic: Sexist Memes  (Read 12269 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: Sexist Memes
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 06:38:58 pm »
The one that annoys me the most is the one that basically says good looking girl= a moron about geek/nerd stuff. It's somewhat of an off shoot of Idiot Nerd Girl.
Sorry, but that is bs. I know many women who are smoking hot, and they're just as much of a geek/nerd as any guy.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 07:27:21 pm by Empress Nicki »

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 06:46:56 pm »
Like you Nikki :D  Anyways stupid meme I found was perfect girlfriend.  Like it was sees you mastubating finishes it for you

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 07:33:29 pm »
As far as I'm concerned memes are jokes, and jokes don't bother me.

The 'friendzone' meme also has the added bonus of many guys not realizing that 'friendzoning' can apply to girls, too.  Seriously, guys have outright asked if that was possible or if it's ever happened.

Les Miserables freak out: Eponine was friendzoned so hard she died!

The basic idea of friendzone doesn't bother me. It's just being disappointed because someone you want a relationship with doesn't want to go any further with you. It's when it goes beyond an inside joke to threats and insults that the user becomes an asshat.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 07:40:30 pm by clockworkgirl21 »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 09:09:37 pm »
The one that annoys me the most is the one that basically says good looking girl= a moron about geek/nerd stuff. It's somewhat of an off shoot of Idiot Nerd Girl.
Sorry, but that is bs. I know many women who are smoking hot, and they're just as much of a geek/nerd as any guy.

There's kind of a hidden suggestion that REAL nerds have to have a penis to be legit!

Offline Clochette

• Bishop
  • spin spin sugar
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 09:34:46 pm »
"Friendzoning" is a term that reeks of an entitlement complex.
Not always.  I've friendzoned a few people, and they've gotten over it.

I think what he means is that people who unironically use the term "friendzone" often believe that they are being denied a basic human right when the objects of their desire don't want to date them.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 12:07:13 am »
The one thing I have to say about the whole "is the friendzone thing sexist" is that the OP's KnowYourMeme link does NOT support that interpretation. So if you want to say that it is, you should probably...y'know...find one that does.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 02:43:30 am »
I don't like the friendzone notion because of how it seems to be affecting the "friendzoning" person. I told my best friend I had a thing for her and, circumstances involved aside, she seemed really scared that I was going to walk away from everything after she turned me down. It seems like the concept has turned in to wondering if legit (guy) friends are even a thing anymore, if some are willing to leave if they aren't getting sex on top of everything else. The fact that it's an issue at all is infuriating.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2013, 04:01:32 am »
That's the thing about "Friendzone," if you truly have a crush on someone and they "just want to be friends" it hurts and that is understandable. What is not understandable is the entitlement many people associate with the friendzone concept. I would like to think that those two things are separate but it does seem like the worst "nice guy" examples who whine about friendzone really are using it to refer to how they feel entitled to sex/relationship just for being a "nice guy."

In fact they should probably have a term that reflects their concept better, since being turned down or "friendzoned" is just one minor aspect of they feel that they magically deserve sex in exhange of being a decent person.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 07:26:50 pm »
"Friendzoning" is a term that reeks of an entitlement complex.
Not always.  I've friendzoned a few people, and they've gotten over it.

I think what he means is that people who unironically use the term "friendzone" often believe that they are being denied a basic human right when the objects of their desire don't want to date them.

Isn't intimacy a basic human right?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 07:34:49 pm »
Isn't intimacy a basic human right?

Playing devil's advocate?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2013, 07:36:39 pm »
It's a basic human need...not a right.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 08:02:01 pm »
It's a basic human need...not a right.

Fair enough, that seems a reasonable distinction to me (because it removes obligation).
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline doomcup

• Neonate
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2013, 08:11:52 pm »
When it comes to the whole Nerd Girl thing, while it can be sexist as all fuck, I can see why some nerds would get upset. I know there are girls just as nerdy as I am who are attractive, I personally know a few, but in some circles the word "nerd" has ceased to really mean anything. Any girl with glasses can claim to be a nerd.

There are even businesses to take advantage of this that are aimed at nerdy guys, who I freely admit can be dragged around by their erections a lot.

So I don't think it was rooted in sexism, more in fears of culture co-opting; that is, mimicking the superficial bits of geek and nerd culture without having any of the deeper stuff. It especially burns to see it co-opted by the people who historically bullied geeks and nerds, but that's a whole other topic.

That said, there are definitely ways it can be made sexist, and I'd rather not have defense of a culture that I share be tainted by sexism.

Edited for clarification.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 08:36:43 pm by doomcup »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 10:04:59 pm »
I've had sex with a girl who I was in a friendship for a long time with and had a crush on.

I caught something that thankfully could be cured with a course of antibiotics because we were both morons and decided to do it without protection, oh and she got a positive pregnancy test that had to be terminated.

She was actually trying to rekindle an old relationship at the time we had sex. That and we did it after the wake of a mutual good friend who died young.

Looking back it was abysmally stupid to go there when we were both feeling hurt and vulnerable. There was a lot of blame and harsh words, needless to say after all that I never saw her again and don't know how to contact her now.

A crush is something that happens inside your head that really doesn't bear much relationship to reality, a friendship happens in real life and is a LOT more valuable!

To this day I really regret the sex and miss my friend. 

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2013, 12:09:52 am »
When it comes to the whole Nerd Girl thing, while it can be sexist as all fuck, I can see why some nerds would get upset. I know there are girls just as nerdy as I am who are attractive, I personally know a few, but in some circles the word "nerd" has ceased to really mean anything. Any girl with glasses can claim to be a nerd.

There are even businesses to take advantage of this that are aimed at nerdy guys, who I freely admit can be dragged around by their erections a lot.

So I don't think it was rooted in sexism, more in fears of culture co-opting; that is, mimicking the superficial bits of geek and nerd culture without having any of the deeper stuff. It especially burns to see it co-opted by the people who historically bullied geeks and nerds, but that's a whole other topic.

That said, there are definitely ways it can be made sexist, and I'd rather not have defense of a culture that I share be tainted by sexism.

Edited for clarification.

Idiot Nerd Girl does have a few problems with elitism, I think.  Also, there's no male equivalent, which is kinda troubling and says a lot about the attitude towards girls and nerdiness.

Also, there's arguably the problem you can run into the meme with the "No True Scotsman" fallacy.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.