Author Topic: J.K. Rowling's new book  (Read 7595 times)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: J.K. Rowling's new book
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 12:31:59 am »
A cynical part of me says: Most people who donate money do it because they like feeling better about themselves; making the world the best place possible is a secondary concern at best. Without an in-depth look at her giving habits, this suggests she is purchasing those same fuzzies from writing books outside the shadow of the behemoth that is Harry Potter.

A second part of me, concerned with the fairness of the situation, says: It seems odd to criticise JK Rowling for not maximising the amount of money she donates to charity when she's donated far more, both in relative and in absolute terms, than most people.

The rest of me does not necessarily endorse either of these positions but refuses to step up and say anything.
While, in both relative and in absolute terms, she has donated more than most people, she is also lucky enough to be in the unique position to be able to. I doubt it's just to make her feel better, because she was homeless at one point, and often empathy is grown out of experience. However, while she may not see it this way, I feel that, in a way, this is depriving these charities of money, because if she rode her fame, she'd make more, and therefore be able to donate more. In a recession (aka, a depression but we don't want panic), that's even more important than usual.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 07:14:40 am »
A cynical part of me says: Most people who donate money do it because they like feeling better about themselves; making the world the best place possible is a secondary concern at best. Without an in-depth look at her giving habits, this suggests she is purchasing those same fuzzies from writing books outside the shadow of the behemoth that is Harry Potter.

A second part of me, concerned with the fairness of the situation, says: It seems odd to criticise JK Rowling for not maximising the amount of money she donates to charity when she's donated far more, both in relative and in absolute terms, than most people.

The rest of me does not necessarily endorse either of these positions but refuses to step up and say anything.
While, in both relative and in absolute terms, she has donated more than most people, she is also lucky enough to be in the unique position to be able to. I doubt it's just to make her feel better, because she was homeless at one point, and often empathy is grown out of experience. However, while she may not see it this way, I feel that, in a way, this is depriving these charities of money, because if she rode her fame, she'd make more, and therefore be able to donate more. In a recession (aka, a depression but we don't want panic), that's even more important than usual.

I think it's ridiculous to expect J K Rowling to base her career decisions on how much she will potentially be able to give to charity.

She doesn't write books for charity, she writes books because she is a writer and enjoys writing. Being able to give tonnes of money to charity because of that is just an unexpected bonus.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 07:35:14 am »
The problem is when people have a unique writing style that follows them no matter the genre. If she'd been able to switch her writing style around, it probably would have been enough to keep her hiding under her pseudonym.

But yes, if I were in her position I'd want my book to sell by its merits, not because I'm a household name.

It's not just that. It seems like nearly every review that panned The Casual Vacancy compared it unfavorably to Harry Potter. Maybe she feels that people would be able to appreciate her work more if they weren't colored by expectations of magic and whimsy.

To be fair, the Daily Mail went apeshit because the book implied that conservatism is bad. Of course, Exhibit A of British conservatism's badness is the Daily Mail.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 08:13:26 am »

I think it's ridiculous to expect J K Rowling to base her career decisions on how much she will potentially be able to give to charity.

She doesn't write books for charity, she writes books because she is a writer and enjoys writing. Being able to give tonnes of money to charity because of that is just an unexpected bonus.
I understand that, it just feels, I don't know, somewhat wrong. Like, either options is badness.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline MadmanJohnson

• Wrath of Primus
  • Pope
  • Able to creep out Deimos.
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 10:36:34 am »
But what about the fundie responses?
Before you die an agonizing, chainsaw-related death, you're gonna hear about the Hate Plague!
I'm accusing you of being stupid.
I dare to be stupid.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 10:47:20 am »
Rowling has donated her share to charity and more. She stays in UK and pays her share of taxes rather than fleeing into tax haven, purely because she received help from the country and it helped her have the time to write the books and she feels that it is right to pay back for the help she received.

Based on what I know she is a nice person.

And even if she wasn't she would still have the right to choose how she releases her books and I certainly understand wanting to know how her book would succeed on its own merits.

After all, there are people who will buy her books simply because they have been written by J.K. Rowling and on the other hand reviews would always compare the books to HP rather than judge the book on its own.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 02:11:33 pm »

I understand that, it just feels, I don't know, somewhat wrong. Like, either options is badness.

I'd hate to become a famous author and then have someone deride me for not maximizing my profits when I write a new book that isn't part of the books that made me famous.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 07:04:32 pm »

Rowling has been kind enough to donate insane amounts of money to charity. To say that she's depriving charities of more donations because of a career choice is ridiculous. She deserves wide recognition for such generosity, not criticism for making a choice that doesn't maximize every bit of profit.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 12:25:12 pm »

Rowling has been kind enough to donate insane amounts of money to charity. To say that she's depriving charities of more donations because of a career choice is ridiculous. She deserves wide recognition for such generosity, not criticism for making a choice that doesn't maximize every bit of profit.
I know it's unfair to criticise her, and she certainly does deserve recognition. It just also bothers me. I'm not saying it's fair, logical or kind. Just what my brain's doing.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 08:13:57 am »
Look what I found~

Nobody should write books about the military unless they've enlisted before. New rule.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 08:46:56 am »
Look what I found~

Nobody should write books about the military unless they've enlisted before. New rule.
Considering is name, he's likely Air Force. You know what he's certainly got? Tons of experience as a foot soldier deep in the shit. Wait, no, no he doesn't (and I get that the Air Force can end up fighting on the ground, but he still lacks major experience there). Yet somehow I bet he'd say he could write military fiction, even if it wasn't about his branch.