Author Topic: Defending Free Speech in the Private Sphere  (Read 11897 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Defending Free Speech in the Private Sphere
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2015, 12:51:23 pm »
Completely and utterly fucked? No. Would it be better if it wasn't like that? Sure. And I've found that if I'm willing to swallow my pride, work hard, and not afraid to get dirty there are always jobs out there for me. Always. The only time I had any trouble at all finding work was when I still had that pride.

Fred, your hypothetical was way too vague for me to answer. If you'd like to rephrase that I can take a stab at addressing whatever that was.

If you express a fondness for the Jews and your boss sacks you, is he in the wrong?

It depends. It's still extremely broad. Like asking how long is a piece of string. When asked for clarification, you responded red string.

I'm confused here. In what context would it be OK for your boss to fire you for expressing fondness for the Jews? I mean, presumably if you write it in blood in the bathroom wall or stand in the middle of the office with a megaphone shouting about it, but I don't think Fred meant anything like that.
Σא

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2015, 05:38:05 pm »
Maybe you could make a case that government censorship is worse than private censorship, but this isn't an argument in favour of the latter.  Restrictions by business are not voluntary, since everyone has to work. We wouldn't, for instance, accept having sex with your boss as a condition of work as legitimate. So why should political belief be part of the equation?

If you're sacking someone for saying something*, you're doing the wrong thing. You are, in fact, making people less free.

How is being fired for holding certain views any different from being boycotted for holding certain views? If you're boycotting someone for saying something, you're making them less free. After all, everybody's gotta eat, and the company isn't going to hand out wages unless the customers hand out payment.

p.s. Use Tor. What the customer doesn't know won't hurt the company.

It's punching up versus punching down. At least you have to convince a lot of people that this person is loathsome, whereas the business owner can make that decision on his own.

Obviously, some boycotts are illegitimate.

Completely and utterly fucked? No. Would it be better if it wasn't like that? Sure. And I've found that if I'm willing to swallow my pride, work hard, and not afraid to get dirty there are always jobs out there for me. Always. The only time I had any trouble at all finding work was when I still had that pride.

Fred, your hypothetical was way too vague for me to answer. If you'd like to rephrase that I can take a stab at addressing whatever that was.

If you express a fondness for the Jews and your boss sacks you, is he in the wrong?

It depends. It's still extremely broad. Like asking how long is a piece of string. When asked for clarification, you responded red string.

I have a question for you, Fred. We all have to work. Ok, for too many that's true. So if I take that to the next level, does a company have to hire you? Wouldn't being self employed satisfy that need to work?

Sure, if we assumed the economy was structured in a way that would make that efficient, which is isn't.

I don't think this is very complicated, to be honest. Bosses try to sack employees for being liberals (or whatever) all the time. Do you think that is a restriction of free speech?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2015, 10:21:12 pm »
If you're working for the Palestinian embassy or consulate springs to mind. Or if you're a waiter at a Halal carryout in Little Basra. If you're in your company's uniform to lead people to think you're speaking for the company. If you're a government employee on a government computer. If that's not the only line of the post.

Fred, I'm sure you've read the NLRB's rules and perused various court rulings. In all that, you'll find only one of the above is illegal.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2015, 03:40:12 am »
Is/ought fallacy. Just because something is legal does not make it legitimate. Your boss's ability to sack you if he doesn't like what you say is a restriction on your right to say it.

We might disagree whether that is legitimate or not - in some cases it may even be okay - but mostly no.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 11:26:32 am »
I agree that just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right. And to answer your question, yes political sspeech is protected free speech. Belonging to a political party or having political views is not grounds for dismissal. If that's what you got fired for, is suggest getting a lawyer and fighting that.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 11:31:49 am by rookie »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

pyro

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2015, 02:42:46 pm »
It's punching up versus punching down. At least you have to convince a lot of people that this person is loathsome, whereas the business owner can make that decision on his own.

And the whole reason we're having this discussion is because of the possibility of de facto censorship through control of all the venues. If it's possible for all the companies to censor an opinion, it's possible for all the consumers to censor an opinion.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2015, 02:47:23 pm »

And the whole reason we're having this discussion is because of the possibility of de facto censorship through control of all the venues. If it's possible for all the companies to censor an opinion, it's possible for all the consumers to censor an opinion.

I honestly don't see a point where that wouldn't be possible, though.  If enough people come together and agree, then yes, they can completely censor something.  However, getting enough people together to effect such a change would be impractical even under near-ideal circumstances.  The more people you get together, the more likely it is that a major disagreement will form, fracturing the group.  That's basically how Protestantism started.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2015, 02:53:52 pm »
School wouldn't be a problem if it were free.  Like in the developed world.  It does serve a useful purpose, at least when it comes to STEM majors, as well as law, since most primary/secondary schools in this country barely touch any actual trade schooling, if at all.

Also, the beard (and hair) thing is one of the reasons I'm a software developer.  Nobody gives a single fuck if the guy writing your code has a beard that could put ZZ Topp to shame and hair that drags the ground.  Or lady.  Hell, some places, you don't even gotta bathe.  The place I work for?  You don't even have to wear pants, since its all done on the cloud.  I could literally spend the entire day writing code, buck-ass naked, and nobody would give two damns.  Or know.  Though, my boss would probably laugh at the idea, lol.

This reminds me.  Hubby works from home, and I need to convince him to stop wearing pajama pants at the "office."  Or any pants at all.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2015, 03:27:41 pm »
Yeah but then he'll just be trying to play hide the kosher pickle with you.

Ironbite-and won't be able to get any work done.

pyro

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2015, 05:06:55 pm »
I honestly don't see a point where that wouldn't be possible, though.  If enough people come together and agree, then yes, they can completely censor something.  However, getting enough people together to effect such a change would be impractical even under near-ideal circumstances.  The more people you get together, the more likely it is that a major disagreement will form, fracturing the group.  That's basically how Protestantism started.

And that's why it's not a de facto violation of the first amendment when someone is fired for saying an opinion. There will always be other companies that aren't run by nutjobs.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2015, 05:47:22 pm »

And that's why it's not a de facto violation of the first amendment when someone is fired for saying an opinion. There will always be other companies that aren't run by nutjobs.

Just because it doesn't violate your freedom of speech doesn't mean its alright, though.  I know that's likely not what you're saying, but a lot of people use that as justification.  Besides, even a single firing can look really bad to future employers, potentially costing you work and, therefore, the ability to live.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2015, 05:50:08 pm »
I agree that just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right. And to answer your question, yes political sspeech is protected free speech. Belonging to a political party or having political views is not grounds for dismissal. If that's what you got fired for, is suggest getting a lawyer and fighting that.

That's the wrong way of going about it, though. Any sort of restriction on speech is illegitimate unless proven legitimate. Not the other way around.

-FDR

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2015, 09:20:37 pm »
The law is quite cleat on those matters.

Unless you're talking about not what is, but what should be. If that's the car, then I'd have to agree with you conditionally. Personal comments off a private nature said soaking as a private citizen should in now way effect any job related anything. I agree with you 100%there.  If: in a company uniform; on company resources; working hours; speaking for the company (either officially or in a way that a judge or jury could reasonably think you're speaking for the company); or on a company sponsored event, then there is a bit more leeway for that effecting the morale or bottom line. Then I believe the company should have the right to step in and protect itself.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2015, 12:50:15 am »
The law is quite cleat on those matters.

Unless you're talking about not what is, but what should be. If that's the car, then I'd have to agree with you conditionally. Personal comments off a private nature said soaking as a private citizen should in now way effect any job related anything. I agree with you 100%there.  If: in a company uniform; on company resources; working hours; speaking for the company (either officially or in a way that a judge or jury could reasonably think you're speaking for the company); or on a company sponsored event, then there is a bit more leeway for that effecting the morale or bottom line. Then I believe the company should have the right to step in and protect itself.

Even then the burden is quite high, I think. It would have to be so bad as to impair the ability of the business to provide a service (or good, or whatever it does). Bad mouthing your boss on Facebook is nowhere near enough.

-FDR

pyro

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2015, 11:26:20 am »
Just because it doesn't violate your freedom of speech doesn't mean its alright, though.  I know that's likely not what you're saying, but a lot of people use that as justification.  Besides, even a single firing can look really bad to future employers, potentially costing you work and, therefore, the ability to live.

Well, yes, firing someone for stupid reasons (read: reasons that don't affect the bottom line) is wrong and stupid.