Community > Religion and Philosophy

Conversations with Sharon at home

<< < (2/17) > >>

BobRumba:

FSTST is "home" for many of us who battle fundies on their turf.  It's our safe space.

Bob J.:
Before I answer your question, I would like to make some remarks about banning and removing posts on Christian News Network.

Messages are removed and people banned at the other site for various reasons. In my view the number one reason is criticizing the mods.. Even that final paragraph of yours to FoJC may be enough to remove the post. Grace just had several messages remove for complaining about the mods.

Second the site is very anti-Catholic. Any comments that support the Catholic Church gets you extra attention. I think Colin was banned for his pro-Catholic views.

Third, the other website is very much aligned with Amos and the anti-gay folks. My personal fear is that devote evangelical Christians, such as yourself, may well be seen as heretics by the mods.

Bob J.:
you asked:
“My husband gave me a link today: Archaeologists Just Discovered Rare Artifact That Will Leave Jesus Doubters Feeling Dumb
The article is on the AWM site, but I don't know how reputable the site is,
Do you know if AWM is a reasonable source?”

The website appears to work very much like many websites, that is, they find an article on a different sites and repost the article. AWM appears to be a political conservative, Christian-oriented news source. This is neither good nor bad.

The word “dumb” in the title was a red flag for me. Degrading any group in the title of your article tells me the article is not trying to be objective, but rather is playing to a core audience.

Next I did a google search of the title. This article has been posted at seven different web news sites over the last two months.

Reading the article provides no evidence for the new discovery or why it should make Jesus doubters feel dumb, but instead directs the reader to buy Robert Hutchinson’s book.

Amazon tells me that his book has been out for just about a year. The book has only gotten 47 reviews mostly positive. Yet the “Jesus Doubters” are still around, so the proof is not that compelling. Since the book has been out for a year, it had to have been written before that time. Any great discoveries would be in “Biblical Archeology” and other periodicals for some time.

All this information leads me to conclude that the author has compiled some recent archeological discoveries into a book that will appeal to Christians as a way to justify their faith.

Edited for typos

BobRumba:
Has Sharon made it over here, Bob?

Bob J.:
Sharon,said
"I am not getting my initial email. I can't find a place to ask about it either. Any ideas?"

I had the same problem. After requesting a new email a couple of time. This site just started letting me login. I'll check with others to see if they have more info.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version