Author Topic: AT&T gets sued for bandwidth throttling and they lose  (Read 2478 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
AT&T gets sued for bandwidth throttling and they lose
« on: February 24, 2012, 04:00:07 pm »
A judge in Southern California on Friday awarded $850 to an iPhone user because AT&T Inc. reduced his download speeds in an attempt to manage usage on its network.

Pro-tem Judge Russell Nadel found in favor of Matt Spaccarelli in Ventura Superior Court in Simi Valley. Spaccarelli filed a small claims case against AT&T last month, arguing the communications giant unfairly slows speeds on his iPhone 4's unlimited data plan.

Nadel's ruling could pave the way for others to follow suit. AT&T has some 17 million customers with "unlimited data" plans that can be subject to throttling, representing just under half of the company's smartphone users.

AT&T stopped signing up new customers for those plans in 2010, and warned last year that it would start slowing speeds for people who consume the most data. In the last few months, subscribers have been surprised by how little data use it takes for throttling to kick in —often less than AT&T provides to those on limited or "tiered" plans.

Spaccarelli said his phone is being throttled after he's used 1.5 gigabytes to 2 gigabytes of data within a new billing cycle. Meanwhile, AT&T provides 3 gigabytes of data to subscribers on a tiered plan that costs the same — $30 per month.

It wasn't immediately known whether AT&T would appeal the decision. AT&T area sales manager Peter Hartlove declined comment after Nadel's ruling. He argued in court that his employer has the right to modify or cancel customers' contracts if their data usage adversely affects the network.

source - http://news.yahoo.com/judge-awards-iphone-user-850-throttling-case-195042925.html

A small win for the little guy.  I do wonder though if this will affect AT&T at all or if they will just simple shrug it off,  even if more cases take them to court that is.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
Re: AT&T gets sued for bandwidth throttling and they lose
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:16:09 pm »
A small win for the little guy.  I do wonder though if this will affect AT&T at all or if they will just simple shrug it off,  even if more cases take them to court that is.

$850? AT&T'll laugh it off.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 12:44:13 am »
Yeah they will....but it'll set precedence mind you.

Ironbite-other people can use this to go "Hey...your practices are unfair" and take it from there.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 02:24:59 am »

$850? AT&T'll laugh it off.

Plus how many thousands in legal fees? And the fact that this will likely spawn a wave of future lawsuits?

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 03:11:57 am »
Good, AT&T/Bell South/Cingular (All one company here) had been screwing us over for years.  The day we finally told them to $%@& off once and for all was a great one.  Hopefully more suits like these will give them the needed kick in the ass.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 10:47:42 am »
They'll shrug it off...after all, caring would make sense, but not immediate profit.

Seems to be the mantra of all big companies, whatever it takes to make me money now even if another policy would make me thirty times more in the near future
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball