Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1654466 times)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #3150 on: January 20, 2014, 05:35:24 pm »
The thing is many people are worried and seeing as Japan fucked it up that their power corps couldn't handle it
That too unless maybe you have a really good breeder reactor

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #3151 on: January 20, 2014, 06:28:50 pm »
There's a difference between white pride and ethnic pride. A lot of people seem to miss it.

Along with that, a lot of people like to say 'nobody who is white has ever faced discrimination'. This is false on many levels: 1) You're erasing the LGBTQ white people and 2) You're erasing the fact that the Irish and sometimes the Italians are still discriminated against. And the fact that they were badly discriminated against back in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Hell, it was even considered oppression at the time (that icky word people like to over-define). 3) You're also ignoring the disabled white folks. Being white doesn't protect you from everyfuckingthing.

So, yeah. People need to learn the differences. Small, but important differences.

No white person has ever faced systematic discrimination for that reason in the United States. Not one. White people may face persecution for other reasons; they are not victims of racism. Period.

You'll note I never once said it was either systematic or institutionalized. Nor did I say racism. I said prejudice/discrimination for a reason. It doesn't have to be systematic or institutionalized to count under the discrimination banner. Just being turned away from multiple places for being Italian is enough to be discrimination.

Though, of course, not for being white.

At this point you're just saying superfluous things.

/ hammering home the fundamental point. White people do not and have never faced racial discrimination in the US. People considered non-white (Irish, Italian, Finnish) certainly have, and some white people have faced discrimination for other reason, but not because they were white.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #3152 on: January 20, 2014, 06:34:35 pm »
There's a difference between white pride and ethnic pride. A lot of people seem to miss it.

Along with that, a lot of people like to say 'nobody who is white has ever faced discrimination'. This is false on many levels: 1) You're erasing the LGBTQ white people and 2) You're erasing the fact that the Irish and sometimes the Italians are still discriminated against. And the fact that they were badly discriminated against back in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Hell, it was even considered oppression at the time (that icky word people like to over-define). 3) You're also ignoring the disabled white folks. Being white doesn't protect you from everyfuckingthing.

So, yeah. People need to learn the differences. Small, but important differences.

No white person has ever faced systematic discrimination for that reason in the United States. Not one. White people may face persecution for other reasons; they are not victims of racism. Period.

You'll note I never once said it was either systematic or institutionalized. Nor did I say racism. I said prejudice/discrimination for a reason. It doesn't have to be systematic or institutionalized to count under the discrimination banner. Just being turned away from multiple places for being Italian is enough to be discrimination.

/ hammering home the fundamental point. White people do not and have never faced racial discrimination in the US. People considered non-white (Irish, Italian, Finnish) certainly have, and some white people have faced discrimination for other reason, but not because they were white.

Irish aren't considered white?  Weird when the only people with whiter skin are probably in Scotland and Scandanavia lol.

Also I'm pretty sure in the UK and Ireland the Irish are considerd white.  When filling in employment monitoring forms and the likes, there is no separate tick box for "Irish"  Unless you count things like "Irish Traveler".  And I've never heard anyone ever say anything to indicate they're not considered white by anybody here regardless of any discimination.

Being Irish myself the fact that I'm not thought of as white is news to me.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:43:42 pm by Katsuro »

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3153 on: January 20, 2014, 06:43:31 pm »
In the 19th Century the Irish were considered racially distinct from Anglo-Saxons. They were also considered an inferior race. There were many psuedo-scientific books spouting off about their tendency for violence and alcholism and their inability to learn.

The problem in this thread is linguistic, that is white is being used to indicate Anglo-Saxon, when in fact White is much broader than simply Anglo-Saxon. It is similar to saying Asian (or even Chinese) when referring to the Han ethnic group.

Anyway I will let you crackers continue talking across each other.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #3154 on: January 20, 2014, 06:44:58 pm »
In the 19th Century the Irish were considered racially distinct from Anglo-Saxons. They were also considered an inferiour race. There were many psuedo-scientific books spouting off about their tendency for violence and alcholism and their inability to learn.

The problem in this thread is linguistic, that is white is being used to indicate Anglo-Saxon, when in fact White is much broader than simply Anglo-Saxon. It is similar to saying Asian (or even Chinese) when referring to the Han ethnic group.

Anyway I will let you crackers continue talking across each other.

Ah in the 19th century, yes.  Sorry, there didn't seem to be anything in Fred's post to indicate that we were talking about the past and not the present.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3155 on: January 20, 2014, 06:48:55 pm »
I assumed that Fred was talking about the entire history of the USA given that he said - no person ever in the history of the USA.

But then again you will have to ask Fred about that - I mean that cracker is an enigma, wrapped in a mystery, surrounded by (continuing I suspect) post modern undergratuate bachelor of arts studies with a major in political science...

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #3156 on: January 20, 2014, 06:52:30 pm »
I assumed that Fred was talking about the entire history of the USA given that he said - no person ever in the history of the USA.

Ah, a fair point.  In my defense, the lack of a functioning heating system in my house makes it hard to concentrate lol.

Speaking of crackers; that squirrel looks like it's eating a cracker.  Is that some kind of statement you're making with that avatar  :P
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:54:15 pm by Katsuro »

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3157 on: January 20, 2014, 07:07:10 pm »
What that crackers have to beware the incoming squirrel horde? No I just like pictures with crackers in them

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #3158 on: January 20, 2014, 07:10:17 pm »
I was thinking more along the lines of general acts of unpleasantness towards crackers rather than squirrel specific ones.  Unless the squirrel is a metaphor as well.  Which it would be if the cracker is.

I don't even know wtf I'm talking about anymore lol.  Maybe hypothermia is setting in, maybe I'm dying lol.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3159 on: January 20, 2014, 07:12:51 pm »
but eating isn't necessarily unpleasant. It might be a metaphor for the incorporation of crackers into us all...or I like pictures of salty biscuits.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #3160 on: January 20, 2014, 07:15:58 pm »
but eating isn't necessarily unpleasant. It might be a metaphor for the incorporation of crackers into us all...or I like pictures of salty biscuits.

"Salty biscuits" sounds like a sexual thing lol.  Probably because it makes one think of something called "wank biscuit".  If you don't know what that is, do not google it, you probably don't want to know what it is.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3161 on: January 20, 2014, 07:18:25 pm »
In Australia it is (or was I guess) known as 'Soggy Sao' - but I am pretty sure that subconsciously I was being sexual when I wrote salty biscuit.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #3162 on: January 20, 2014, 07:19:38 pm »

Irish aren't considered white?  Weird when the only people with whiter skin are probably in Scotland and Scandanavia lol.

Also, too, Finnish. Neither were considered white until the early 20th century. The racial norm is just going to keep expanding until everyone except one person is considered racially normal, at which point everyone will realise how ludicrous and offensive it is to arbitrarily label people in the first fucking place. And then we'll be back where we were in 1300. Yay!

But then again you will have to ask Fred about that - I mean that cracker is an enigma, wrapped in a mystery, surrounded by (continuing I suspect) post modern undergratuate bachelor of arts studies with a major in political science...

HOW DID YOU KNOW.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3163 on: January 20, 2014, 10:32:16 pm »

It becomes superfluous when you're talking over me about something I was never saying in the first place. I never once said that they were discriminated against for being white I said they were white and discriminated against for being Italian/Irish/Whathaveyou. Everyone else seemed to get that except for you. The original argument was that nobody who is white has ever faced discrimination. That was it. There was no 'for being white' in that sentence and there never was.

So knock it off.

Ah yes the ol' 'if you're just nice to the people who are oppressing you then soon enough he will change his ways and you will no longer be oppressed!' thing.

Alternatively: If two groups have a disagreement the one that merely shouts and acts agressively at the other is not likely to convert anyone to their cause, while the group that acts calm and extends the olive branch just might. Even if it is slow, even if only few people learn to respect the other group or join the other side of view it is still progress.

I mean that comic might be about opression but it might as well be about wether or not you put the cheese or cucumber on the top of sandwich. If group A only shouts about how their view is the only TRUE view it is unlikely to convert the other side. (Though judging from the fact that the other side starts with being in the minority the comic might be particularly about opression. Otherwise it could have started with two similarly sized groups. Or maybe that would have required too much drawing.)

I have seen the cartoon in question posted with a description that mentions oppression (insert your flavor of oppression here I guess) and how they always see people bitch and shout at their oppressors and mentioning that they're fighting hate with hate, etc., So that was what I was using.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #3164 on: January 21, 2014, 08:09:17 am »

I think the "message" is actually racist, as much as age-ist. And it is invalid to compare songs from disparate genres and eras.
I'm not sure where you are getting racism from.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.