Author Topic: Florida banned the term "climate change" amongst few others  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Florida banned the term "climate change" amongst few others
« on: March 10, 2015, 10:10:05 am »
And immediately everything is better. Now that employees at Department of Environmental Protection aren't allowed to use the terms "climate change," "global warming" or "sustainability" (presumably "common sense" was banned years ago) none of these things is a problem and everyone is feeling much better. Why haven't others tried these simple methods? Ignore the problem and it will just go away.

http://www.takepart.com/article/2015/03/09/florida-officials-ban-term-climate-change?cmpid=ait-fb

The National Climate Assessment recently warned, “There is an imminent threat of increased inland flooding during heavy rain events in low-lying coastal areas such as southeast Florida, where just inches of sea level rise will impair the capacity of storm-water drainage systems to empty into the ocean.”

See? Hearing something like that would just make you worry too much. "Keep your head in a bucket and carry on" as the British used to say.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Florida banned the term "climate change" amongst few others
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 10:30:32 am »
It was only an unwritten, informal policy. Any formal executive order like this would have collided head-on with the first amendment.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 10:49:47 am »
It was only an unwritten, informal policy. Any formal executive order like this would have collided head-on with the first amendment.

If it was unwritten and informal how did they enforce it? Because the only thing that would make me obey such an order would be if I was threatened with losing my job by disobeying (and that would just make me be more subtle before I inform some other authority.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 11:02:59 am »
Well see how they feel once there is no longer a Florida to live in and it's all underwater.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 11:15:09 am »

If it was unwritten and informal how did they enforce it?

The same way an employee can be fired for things they can't legally be fired for. The administration makes sure to keep any mention of the actual incident off the books and finds a convenient excuse later.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 11:23:19 am »
Okay, seriously, what the fuck is wrong with Florida?

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 11:33:00 am »
Well see how they feel once there is no longer a Florida to live in and it's all underwater.

Don't be so quick to drown me, bro! ;D  Since the minds of tea bagger Florida pols are unfathomable, here, have some TMI trivia, instead...The coastal areas and the Everglades in the south will be underwater, but the central "spine" of the Florida peninsula is high enough above sea level. Unfortunately, that remaining dry land may include the fuckwit pols' districts. Bah. Florida is a very large, ancient fossil barrier reef that has built up over the eons, fed by the ancient Mississippi River's nutrient and silt output, and a gradual accumulation of soil depth from forests and grasslands as the prehistoric sea levels lowered. The Great Barrier Reef in Oz may someday become a landmass via similar processes. Hopefully, without fuckwit pols living on it.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 12:43:17 pm »
Okay, seriously, what the fuck is wrong with Florida?

I dunno. Maybe those old snowbird geezers (who come down just in time for Election Day and are probably either wingnuts, senile or senile wingnuts) or maybe it's the drugs or maybe.....(Space) ALIENS!.....I haven't the foggeist. This is the same state that brought us face-chomping naked maniac guys! I get the impression that all the smart, normal, sane Floridians ditched the state years ago (with the exception of mellenORL...sorry, man).

I wonder if the folks getting the "gag order" on certain terms can get around this with linguistic gymnastics?

"WEIRDO WEATHER"! "WARMER PLANET"! "GAIA'S FEVER"! "THE INCREDIBLE SUBMERSIBLE STATE"!.....or Replace "Climate Change/Global Warming" with "Governor Scott" while replacing the term, "Sustainability" with "Lady Liberty", "Captain Planet" or "Orange Groves".

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 03:25:17 pm »
It sounded way too weird to be true, so I fact checked it.  Unfortunately, it doesn't show up on Fc or Snopes, and I'm hoping the truth is stretched.  If not, I have yet another reason to hate my state.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 05:57:59 pm »
Just another example of why we're known as "Floriduh."
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 12:32:24 am »
It sounded way too weird to be true, so I fact checked it.  Unfortunately, it doesn't show up on Fc or Snopes, and I'm hoping the truth is stretched.  If not, I have yet another reason to hate my state.

I hope it's a myth, too.

Anyone think Gov. Scott looks like Pluto from The Hills Have Eyes?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 12:38:57 am »
I prefer comparing Governor Scott to Lord Voldemort.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 03:16:36 am »
I prefer comparing Governor Scott to Lord Voldemort.

That, too.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 04:50:18 am »
Actually, Scott reminds me of the villain from the Polterguise movies (the reverend), especially when he smiles. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 11:21:41 am »
Actually, Scott reminds me of the villain from the Polterguise movies (the reverend), especially when he smiles.

Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.