Author Topic: What are your future presidential predictions?  (Read 13577 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: What are your future presidential predictions?
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2019, 10:53:51 pm »
Here's a little nugget to chew on:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/el-salvador-nayib-bukele-president-election-1.5004407

A young anti-corruption, anti-establishment left-wing candidate is poised to win the Presidency of El Salvador on the first ballot. (A runoff, if necessary, would be held in March). He assembled a coalition similar to that assembled by Lopez Obrador in Mexico (that is, including a small right-wing party; see Linz, "The Perils of Presidentialism" on the problem of inflexible coalitions in presidential systems).

Take note: left-wing anti-establishment candidates win on the first ballot (or, in Lopez Obrador's case, with 50%+ of the vote in a one-round system). Right-wing anti-establishment candidates need the second round (Bolsonaro in Brazil), get only a plurality (Duterte in the Philippines) or win because the electoral system does not truly reflect popular support (Trump).
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2019, 05:51:18 am »
Maryland and Michigan both have the big ol D after their political problems. I made sure to include a good mix of both.

And you're right. I shouldn't believe every Democrat is as corrupt as O'Malley. Just as I shouldn't treat all businessmen as if they're Trump
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2019, 10:01:53 am »
Maryland and Michigan both have the big ol D after their political problems. I made sure to include a good mix of both.

And you're right. I shouldn't believe every Democrat is as corrupt as O'Malley. Just as I shouldn't treat all businessmen as if they're Trump

Michigan's been controlled by Republicans of late.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2019, 01:47:03 pm »
Maybe so. But the city of Flint is still heavily blue. According to the latest voter data along with a quick peek at their mayor and city council. But even still,
 state and local, blue and red, putting differences aside and coming together to screw over a city.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2019, 03:33:30 pm »
Flint might be Blue but the rest of the state, sadly, is not.

Ironbite-which might be the issue here.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2019, 04:30:31 pm »
Maybe so. But the city of Flint is still heavily blue. According to the latest voter data along with a quick peek at their mayor and city council. But even still,
 state and local, blue and red, putting differences aside and coming together to screw over a city.

Snyder installed his own guys to basically override Flint's municipal legislators.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2019, 04:44:17 pm »
That's funny! A couple years ago our mayor put in a few people to keep the governor's people out.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2019, 08:00:55 pm »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/el-salvador-nayib-bukele-president-election-1.5004407

Update on that presidential election in El Salvador: Nayib Bukele, the former mayor of San Salvador, who ran for the Presidency as a third-party, left-wing, anti-corruption, anti-establishment candidate, has received 54% of the vote with 44% of polling stations reporting, and the candidates from the two major parties have conceded defeat, almost certainly obviating any need for a second round.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2019, 06:11:26 pm »
So, in Virginia, Northam was caught in either blackface or a KKK outfit, Fairfax has been accused of sexual assault, and Herring has admitted to wearing blackface.

If they all resign, the Speaker of the House of Delegates (Republican Kirk Cox) becomes Governor... and if he's also caught in something unsuitable (though what's "unsuitable" for Republicans is far laxer than what's "unsuitable" for Democrats) the new Governor is elected by the House of Delegates, currently controlled by Republicans.

I'm betting one of those first three finds a way to stick around at least long enough to make sure the Republicans can't pass another awful gerrymander.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2019, 06:14:57 pm »
None of them are resigning despite massive pressure to do so.  Fairfax is the one with the least amount of terrible on him so he'll probably be the 2nd Black Governor of Virginia.

Ironbite-I fully expect this to be some sort of weird conspiracy against the top three Dems in Virginia though.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2019, 06:48:17 pm »
None of them are resigning despite massive pressure to do so.  Fairfax is the one with the least amount of terrible on him so he'll probably be the 2nd Black Governor of Virginia.

Ironbite-I fully expect this to be some sort of weird conspiracy against the top three Dems in Virginia though.

Problem with Fairfax is that (according to someone from Virginia I converse with on another forum) there's a tacit agreement between energy companies and the Democratic Party that they won't have as Governor anyone who's too opposed to pipelines. Having Fairfax as Governor would, apparently, violate that understanding. That is, I am informed, not the case with Northam and Herring.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2019, 08:53:18 pm »
Ironbite, of course it's that. The Dems took out the governor for his foot to mouth explaining that abortion bill. He screwed the pooch so the party leaked those pics and let what happens happen. Why the other two? My guess is collateral damage. But Ralph was an inside hit.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2019, 03:02:25 pm »
Apparently, the Chief Deputy AG of Virginia is a black woman--plus, replacing the AG is a gubernatorial appointment that doesn't need legislative approval.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Herring resign, Northam appoint the deputy, then both Northam and Fairfax quit.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2019, 03:09:41 pm »
That's if Northam has an ounce of self-preservation in his head.

Ironbite-like I've said, Fairfax looks to be the least awful so he'll probably be the next Governor.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2019, 04:11:00 pm »
Its very important to check the sources on the sexual harassment story - the right wing like Cernovich is infamous by now for fabricating these things to both discredit Me Too and to force out political enemies. If the story is only being pushed on Drudge and Breitbart you know whose plan this is.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer