Author Topic: 2014 Israel/Gaza conflict: electric boogaloo  (Read 55250 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: 2014 Israel/Gaza conflict: electric boogaloo
« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2014, 09:22:45 pm »
FFS, could you please just provide a source for your accusation that HAMAS took over the West Bank?
Or SOMEBODY provide a source for something.
I can claim that HAMAS is run by various cats and it would mean shit.

I never said Hamas took over the West Bank.  All I said was that Hamas was part of the reason why Israel keeps building settlements there.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:32:07 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2014, 10:36:57 pm »
FFS, could you please just provide a source for your accusation that HAMAS took over the West Bank?

I never said Hamas took over the West Bank.  All I said was that Hamas was part of the reason why Israel keeps building settlements there.
(Apologies for type, I meant, Gaza, not west bank)
But srsly, could we all please start sourcing shit?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2014, 10:38:51 pm »

(Apologies for type, I meant, Gaza, not west bank)
But srsly, could we all please start sourcing shit?
We'll see.  In the meantime, here's a source:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/jun/15/israel4

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #168 on: August 01, 2014, 10:45:36 pm »
THANK YOU
The kittens are free to go now.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #169 on: August 02, 2014, 05:50:52 pm »
The good thing about following WikiLeaks on twitter, I get to find out about nice little gobbits of information like this

Israeli officials have confirmed to Embassy officials on multiple occasions that they intend to keep the Gazan economy functioning at the lowest level possible consistent with avoiding a humanitarian crisis

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2014, 06:00:27 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/01/times-of-israel-genocide-article-post-deleted_n_5641971.html

Irredentism at work, everyone!

I also bet, being a good irredentist like my brother, UP supports Kosovo. After all, sovereignty is only for the democracies and democratically-minded terrorists!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:06:30 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #171 on: August 02, 2014, 06:06:11 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/01/times-of-israel-genocide-article-post-deleted_n_5641971.html

I also bet, being a good irredentist, UP supports Kosovo. After all, sovereignty is only for the democracies!
Okay, that guy was a shithead, but that doesn't mean anything.  That would be like saying the US government is like Pat Buchanan.

And I'm not an irredentist.  I've never advocated an Israeli annexation of Palestinian territory.  I believe that Palestine should have the right to exist.  Stop putting words in my mouth.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #172 on: August 02, 2014, 06:14:33 pm »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #173 on: August 03, 2014, 12:18:41 am »

I also bet, being a good irredentist, UP supports Kosovo. After all, sovereignty is only for the democracies!
I'm a gigantic furry, I love to yiff.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #174 on: August 03, 2014, 12:24:23 am »

I'm a gigantic furry, I love to yiff.

I was about to call that an immature move, but then I realized what you were doing and I found myself chuckling.

Still an immature move.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #175 on: August 03, 2014, 11:49:53 pm »
I haven't posted here yet, have I? Allow me to join the pro-Palestine side. What Israel is doing has all the hallmarks of a disgusting theocracy bent on ethnic cleansing. The death tolls on each side say it all in my opinion.
If Israel really wanted to commit ethnic cleansing, they'd have killed far more people.  I agree, Israel's going to far, but to call it ethnic cleansing is a grotesque exaggeration.  If they really wanted to wipe out the Palestinians, why would they give warnings before their airstrikes?

As Israel has shown in the past, murder is not the important element of ethnic cleansing. You don't necessarily want lots of people dead (bad PR) you only want the bare minimum required to create terror and ultimately, flight.

Of course, this proves that Israel does not act in self-defence.

If Hamas launched guided missiles at Israeli hospitals and schools and killed even a fraction of those killed in the UN shelters, there would be immediate condemnation and no pussy-footing around the issue of "doesn't prove anything about their intentions" or "commendable restraint". Why the double standard, UP? Why does Israel get a slap on the wrist?
Because they were driven to these measures.  It doesn't justify it, but it's important to note.

Driven by what, exactly? Israel has total control over the airspace and they collude with Egypt to not let any refugees out of the Gaza strip. This is straight-up ethnic cleansing and you apparently don't have the courage to say so.
By the fact that a flipping terrorist organization illegally seized power through violence.

Indeed. Hamas illegally and violently seized power at the ballot box. Fortunately, Israel had the foresight to provide Fatah with peace-guns to contest that election, peacefully, on the streets.

Speaking of ethnic cleansing, Hamas would definitely do it if they had the chance.  Is it wrong for Israel to not want to give them that chance?

Irrelevant and meaningless. If France was the world super-power as the US is now, what would that be like? Who knows. Maybe they'd have stayed in Algeria. It is irrelevant to our issue now - what are the borders of the Palestinian state, does Israel have a right to annex part of it, ect - what Hamas would do with nuclear weapons they don't have and never will ever.

I disagree with the settlement policy.  I want Israel to withdraw from Palestinian territory (with the exception of East Jerusalem).  However, Hamas is not the solution.

I think this is your primary error. You basically agree with Hamas on the substance; Israel is the aggressor in the conflict. Any legitimate peace agreement must include an end to the settlements, and be essentially based on the 1967 Green Line, with some negotiation over the status of Jerusalem. Gaza must be able to import food.

So you accept the legitimacy of Hamas' position. Israel is in the wrong. You just disagree with the use of force in this conflict by anyone but the aggressors. If you were a pacifist, you could legitimately criticise Hamas' use of force, though with the addendum that they didn't start nor can they end the conflict and their use of force is far lesser than the aggressors'. You aren't a pacifist. It's pure double-standards in favour of the side you admit is wrong.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:24:56 am by Lt. Fred »
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #176 on: August 04, 2014, 10:16:28 am »
As Israel has shown in the past, murder is not the important element of ethnic cleansing. You don't necessarily want lots of people dead (bad PR) you only want the bare minimum required to create terror and ultimately, flight.

Of course, this proves that Israel does not act in self-defence.

If they wanted the Palestinians to leave Gaza, then why the blockade?

And they are acting in self-defense.  Or do you expect them to ignore rocket attacks and raids from tunnels?

Indeed. Hamas illegally and violently seized power at the ballot box. Fortunately, Israel had the foresight to provide Fatah with peace-guns to contest that election, peacefully, on the streets.

Hamas took over Gaza through use of illegal force and they were the first to strike in the conflict.

Irrelevant and meaningless. If France was the world super-power as the US is now, what would that be like? Who knows. Maybe they'd have stayed in Algeria. It is irrelevant to our issue now - what are the borders of the Palestinian state, does Israel have a right to annex part of it, ect - what Hamas would do with nuclear weapons they don't have and never will ever.

False equivalence.  France doesn't want to wipe the US off the map.  Besides, Israel was founded on the mentality of "never again".  Can you blame them for not wanting to take chances with a group that has repeatedly and vocally announced their utter loathing of them?

I think this is your primary error. You basically agree with Hamas on the substance; Israel is the aggressor in the conflict. Any legitimate peace agreement must include an end to the settlements, and be essentially based on the 1967 Green Line, with some negotiation over the status of Jerusalem. Gaza must be able to import food.

So you accept the legitimacy of Hamas' position. Israel is in the wrong. You just disagree with the use of force in this conflict by anyone but the aggressors. If you were a pacifist, you could legitimately criticise Hamas' use of force, though with the addendum that they didn't start nor can they end the conflict and their use of force is far lesser than the aggressors'. You aren't a pacifist. It's pure double-standards in favour of the side you admit is wrong.

My problem with Hamas is that they are a bunch of violent, cowardly, oppressive, bigoted, nihilistic religious fanatics who are single-mindedly committed to the destruction of Israel and the establishment of a repressive theocracy.  Their activities represent one of the biggest obstacles to peace.  If you think all of the problems will be solved if Israel lifts the blockade and stops building settlements in the West Bank, I have no clue what to say, because if that's the case, you're obviously completely out of touch with reality.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 10:40:49 am by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Danarth

• Apprentice
« Reply #177 on: August 04, 2014, 10:32:52 am »
How about another prespective here.

How many Palestine civilians have died compared to Israeli?

Here's a hint, the numbers aren't remotely close.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #178 on: August 04, 2014, 10:35:25 am »

America had very few civilian deaths in World War II compared to most of the other combatants.  Does that mean we were in the wrong?

Offline Danarth

• Apprentice
« Reply #179 on: August 04, 2014, 10:44:18 am »

America had very few civilian deaths in World War II compared to most of the other combatants.  Does that mean we were in the wrong?

Since the two situations are not similiar, the question is irrelevant.