Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1674869 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #2040 on: January 14, 2013, 02:33:25 pm »
On the WSJ tax increase cartoon. I just can't get past the utter shite of people being upset over a couple extra grand going to the govt when people like that typically spend that much money on a single set of clothing, like a suit jacket, or even a super lux pair of designer shoes. I just have to say, after eating pasta for dinner about 20 times in a row, that "eat the rich, feed the poor" is not even a joke to me any more.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 10:10:02 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2041 on: January 14, 2013, 02:52:07 pm »

Well it's true...

You're right, It's true in a way, but criminals never obey any law for that matter, so why bother to make any laws. Now I'm not in favor of the assault weapon ban, I'd rather see us spend more time on the root of the problem, which is this culture that says the way to solve a problem is through shooting some place up, rather than getting some sort of help because it's seen as being "weak". Not to mention we have a country where our sense of community, and caring about others have been replaced with the "rugged individualist" myth. But sadly I haven't seen any pro-gun group endorsed this idea, because they're too busy pandering to the right wing in this country.
 I'm ok with other types of gun control laws such as background checks, and whatnot. Because history has proven that bans don't work.

You know that isn't the point I was making at all. The picture itself is true, but neither am I saying why bother having laws.

Considering who I am, I think that'd be obvious.

Calling for a weapons ban is treating the symptom, rather than looking at the cause and I think we all know it.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #2042 on: January 14, 2013, 03:22:55 pm »
@Commander Shepard Sorry I didn't mean for my response to come out as saying that was the point you were making. I was just adding onto the conversation.

On the WSJ tax increase cartoon. I just can't get past the utter shite of people being upset over a couple grand going to the govt when people like that typically spend that much money on a single set of clothing, like a suit jacket, or even a super lux pair of designer shoes. I just have to say, after eating pasta for dinner about 20 times in a row, that "eat the rich, feed the poor" is not even a joke to me any more.

That has become my sister's motto, her and hubby make about $200,000 a year, in which she brings home most of the money. She is not only taxed on federal level, but is taxed by both the State of CT(where they live) and NY(where she works). Has spent some money on lux pairs of shoes, clothing, pocketbooks, and etc. and is still able to live quite comfortably, plus is more than willing to help out family members in need of assistance (you should see the dumb fights that she and my mother get into over how my mom is insistant on paying for stuff, when she's like"No, you keep the money, I'm paying for this"). She is baffled on how people don't want to pay their taxes, when they have more money than what she has.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:24:56 pm by Empress Nicki »

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #2043 on: January 14, 2013, 06:12:52 pm »

By that argument, we should remove all laws against drinking and driving, since people still do it.

Jon Stewart talked about this a few days ago. Sad when a comic is the one saying what needs to be said...
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

QueenofHearts

« Reply #2044 on: January 14, 2013, 06:18:24 pm »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2045 on: January 14, 2013, 06:29:04 pm »
Well it's true...

Again, an urban legend.

(click to show/hide)

The problem there is that the US is over 25 times as large as Japan as far as land area goes. There's just a lot more ground to cover even if such laws could be enacted.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #2046 on: January 14, 2013, 06:32:03 pm »
Well it's true...

Again, an urban legend.

(click to show/hide)

The problem there is that the US is over 25 times as large as Japan as far as land area goes. There's just a lot more ground to cover even if such laws could be enacted.

Also over twice as many people to enforce it.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2047 on: January 15, 2013, 01:36:04 am »
A complete gun ban in the US, with the number of (currently) legal guns out there would be a logistical nightmare on par with, or likely exceeding, our increasingly idiotic "War on Drugs."  We don't need an outright ban.  Like with most things what we need is sensible regulation.  The problem with all this gun control crap is that people always seem to see it as a completely black and white issue: either you want guns for citizens, or you don't want them for anyone except law enforcement and the military, there's no middle ground with some of these people.

And, such thinking is why political debate is becoming an increasingly exhausting undertaking, even with people who are otherwise quite sensible.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2048 on: January 15, 2013, 10:04:07 am »
@Commander Shepard Sorry I didn't mean for my response to come out as saying that was the point you were making. I was just adding onto the conversation.

On the WSJ tax increase cartoon. I just can't get past the utter shite of people being upset over a couple grand going to the govt when people like that typically spend that much money on a single set of clothing, like a suit jacket, or even a super lux pair of designer shoes. I just have to say, after eating pasta for dinner about 20 times in a row, that "eat the rich, feed the poor" is not even a joke to me any more.

That has become my sister's motto, her and hubby make about $200,000 a year, in which she brings home most of the money. She is not only taxed on federal level, but is taxed by both the State of CT(where they live) and NY(where she works). Has spent some money on lux pairs of shoes, clothing, pocketbooks, and etc. and is still able to live quite comfortably, plus is more than willing to help out family members in need of assistance (you should see the dumb fights that she and my mother get into over how my mom is insistant on paying for stuff, when she's like"No, you keep the money, I'm paying for this"). She is baffled on how people don't want to pay their taxes, when they have more money than what she has.

It's cool. I forgive ya.

And yeah, it's a logistical nightmare and once again trying to compare the US to other countries is a damn red herring and I'm not in the mood for it.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #2049 on: January 16, 2013, 01:36:54 pm »
Are you serious really no child support.  Also in America man gets custody 50% of time

I'm gonna have to ask for a citation on the latter, because...that sounds like somethin pulled out of one's ass and polished up a teensy bit to seem reasonable.

Not to mention that while we do give maternity leave now more often then not, we still skimp fathers on paternity leave.

http://blogs.ngm.com/blog_central/2010/06/mapping-paternity-leave-new-fathers-miss-out.html

As a society we don't seem to really grok the idea of men being care takers.

(and no this is NOT to say that mothers somehow have it "easy".  Notice that the US doesn't give paid maternity leave either....)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:42:53 pm by booley »
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #2050 on: January 16, 2013, 01:53:08 pm »
Ahh Facebook. you never dissapoint...

Just so we are clear..

Signed into law the Mulford act
Supported a 15 day waiting period
Supported the Brady Bill

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #2051 on: January 16, 2013, 01:55:07 pm »
I'll just throw this into the ring:

As someone (I've forgotten who) pointed out, in the US the ownership of machines that were invented specifically for killing people is a god given, constitutionally protected human right but health care is a privilege. How can so many people not see a problem with that?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:58:29 pm by Katsuro »

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #2052 on: January 16, 2013, 02:34:36 pm »

Just so we are clear..

Supported the Brady Bill

See, the real irony?  He was the one who, starting in California in the 60's, systematically dismantled mental health services in the US.  Sure, there were plenty of abuses, but rather than address those, he tossed the mentally ill onto the street.  And got shot by someone who would otherwise have been institutionalized.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #2053 on: January 16, 2013, 04:38:17 pm »

Avoids criminal prosecution because nobody could prove he made any decisions

Now regarded as the best president ever.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2054 on: January 17, 2013, 12:25:18 am »

Just so we are clear..

Supported the Brady Bill

See, the real irony?  He was the one who, starting in California in the 60's, systematically dismantled mental health services in the US.  Sure, there were plenty of abuses, but rather than address those, he tossed the mentally ill onto the street.  And got shot by someone who would otherwise have been institutionalized.

And was obsessed with a lesbian btw.