Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1674145 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #4215 on: January 07, 2014, 10:46:03 am »
Given that Wal-Mart has a sizable presence in other countries, they would have to increase the wages for far less than two million workers.  Hell, they have locations in countries with higher minimum wages, and yet they still find a way to make money.
Yeah.  I've looked at Wal-Mart's business model, and they can definitely afford to pay their workers a living wage.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4216 on: January 07, 2014, 02:02:18 pm »
Yeah, here's the thing...

Those workers, once they have money, are going to spend money.  Probably at Walmart.

So Wallyworld would probably be seeing some of that money come back ANYWAYS.  Which means that they'd actually make MORE money by paying their workers more, because said workers would actually be able to afford to spend money.

One of the problems with supply-side economics is when the supply-side forgets that the demand-side has to be able to afford what is being supplied.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4217 on: January 07, 2014, 02:15:34 pm »
http://www.walmartstores.com/sites/annual-report/2012/CEOletter.aspx

Fiscal 2012 review and key strategies

Last year, Walmart delivered a strong financial performance. Net sales increased by 5.9 percent to $443.9 billion, and consolidated operating income grew by 4 percent to $26.6 billion. Our diluted earnings per share from continuing operations attributable to Walmart were $4.54 per share, up from $4.18 the previous year. We leveraged operating expenses for two consecutive years. Our strong financial position is best illustrated by our ability to grow. We added 52.2 million square feet through 1,160 additional units, including acquisitions in the U.K. and South Africa.

They can easily afford a major pay raise, full time work weeks, and everything else we've discussed on the forum about Walmart not being a decent company. I bolded that part of the CEO's annual letter to shareholders just to show how business-speak makes nice of keeping labor costs down to the detriment of employees.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #4218 on: January 07, 2014, 02:36:30 pm »
Given that Wal-Mart has a sizable presence in other countries, they would have to increase the wages for far less than two million workers.  Hell, they have locations in countries with higher minimum wages, and yet they still find a way to make money.

Yeah, if we assume US-only (fuck you, ASDA workers), then the costs come down to $12.6bn, from the $42.0bn claimed (minuses: 30hr work week, 700,000 non-US workers, added dollar from shite maths in the original).
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4219 on: January 07, 2014, 02:40:25 pm »
Yeah, here's the thing...

Those workers, once they have money, are going to spend money.  Probably at Walmart.

So Wallyworld would probably be seeing some of that money come back ANYWAYS.  Which means that they'd actually make MORE money by paying their workers more, because said workers would actually be able to afford to spend money.

One of the problems with supply-side economics is when the supply-side forgets that the demand-side has to be able to afford what is being supplied.
Yeah, Henry Ford figured this shit out in the Edwardian Era.  Say what you will about him, but he paid his workers enough to buy the cars they made.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4220 on: January 07, 2014, 09:57:07 pm »

OOOOH, STRAWMEN!

Did you know conservatives all masturbate to Adolph Hitler and have tiny penises?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4221 on: January 08, 2014, 05:32:53 pm »
What's more hilarious, is that these same braindead morons are likely perfectly fine with animal abuse, and are a-okay with the concept of aborting a non-human fetus if said fetus would have a quality of life roughly equivalent to that of your average pile of steaming dog shit.  Fucking hypocrites.

For the record, I'm okay with human abortion in any circumstance.  Its not my body, its not my choice.  I honestly don't see how that's a difficult concept to grasp.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4222 on: January 08, 2014, 05:36:49 pm »

This might be the stupidest fucking thing I've ever seen.  And I've seen Epic Movie.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4223 on: January 08, 2014, 07:38:01 pm »

Okay, children, the word of the day is "racist".

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #4224 on: January 08, 2014, 08:48:21 pm »

Hmm, I think I've seen this before.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4225 on: January 08, 2014, 08:50:35 pm »

Hmm, I think I've seen this before.
You probably have.  It's a pretty infamous cartoon.  And this isn't Pat Oliphant's only racist cartoon.

Offline Commissar Kaz

• Tzeentchian Cultist
  • Bishop
  • Just as planned!
« Reply #4226 on: January 08, 2014, 10:02:58 pm »
I can't even tell what the point of that's supposed to be, other than "I'm racist and hate the Chinese."

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4227 on: January 08, 2014, 10:22:24 pm »
I get chills looking at Oliphant cartoons today. Way back when he was still normal, his cartoons were syndicated in all the big daily papers, because they were not bug fucking wingnutso, like now. Old man needs to retire. He's embarrassing himself, but hasn't the grey matter left intact to realize it.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #4228 on: January 08, 2014, 10:30:30 pm »
What's with all these respectable things going crazy? You have well-respected news magazines/TV shows going stupid. You have educational/intellectual cable stations turned into a parade of Nostrodamus, Eric Von Danken jazz & dorky hillbilly non-reality shows. You have good music video stations ditch music & switch to "All Snooki or Snooki-like...all the time". Now, you have well-regarded, respected editorial cartoonists turning wingnut crazy!

WHEN WILL IT END?! *AAARRRGLE!* :P

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #4229 on: January 08, 2014, 10:34:33 pm »
What's with all these respectable things going crazy? You have well-respected news magazines/TV shows going stupid. You have educational/intellectual cable stations turned into a parade of Nostrodamus, Eric Von Danken jazz & dorky hillbilly non-reality shows. You have good music video stations ditch music & switch to "All Snooki or Snooki-like...all the time". Now, you have well-regarded, respected editorial cartoonists turning wingnut crazy!

WHEN WILL IT END?! *AAARRRGLE!* :P
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence (or, in this case, the good taste) of the American public.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:36:14 pm by SmokingDodongo »
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!