Author Topic: GOP approves new party platform  (Read 7536 times)

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
GOP approves new party platform
« on: August 24, 2012, 05:54:39 am »
http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/08/22/723241/gop-approves-most-conservative-platform-in-modern-history/?mobile=nc%2FCOLOR

Here are some specific highlights:
(click to show/hide)

They're not letting up. They're not even hiding it anymore. They're fucking doubling down on everything they have. Republicans have gone off the deep end, except this time, the deep end is the Marina Trench.

And guess what? When they lose this election, will the stop and reconsider their policies? Nope. They'll just blame it on Romney not being conservative enough and double down again.

shykid

Re: GOP approves new party platform
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 05:59:44 am »
At this point, they don't even go off into the deep end anymore. They define it.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 06:13:01 am »
*Reads list*  Wow...  Now, I admit when I was younger I actually did consider myself a Republican, albiet one with some leftward leanings socially.   This bunch is just... wow.  Were this back when, I'd NEVER have even considered being a Republican.

This is, to quote Strong Bad, "Crazy-go-nuts"!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 06:22:14 am »
As someone outside the united states I fear for the safety of the planet if these regressive maniacs take charge.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 06:44:08 am »
Honestly, of all the things you mentioned, the only one I can say I support is the disallowing of military officers to wear their uniforms in gay pride parades.  I don't like the U.S. military being used for ANY political purpose.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Saturn500

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 10:25:25 am »
*Reads list*  Wow...  Now, I admit when I was younger I actually did consider myself a Republican, albiet one with some leftward leanings socially.   This bunch is just... wow.  Were this back when, I'd NEVER have even considered being a Republican.

This is, to quote Strong Bad, "Crazy-go-nuts"!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 11:28:21 am »
I'm rather impressed with the comments there.  Some of them are actually rather reasonable (for a certain value thereof, mind you)
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 12:16:00 pm »
NO ABORTION IN CASES OF RAPE OR INCEST.
SALUTE TO MANDATORY ULTRASOUNDS.
NO LEGAL RECOGNITION OF SAME-SEX COUPLES.

And everything went exactly as expected. Not that this crap isn't still horrible, but with all of the anti-woman and anti-LGBT crap they've been endlessly spewing, I would have been pretty shocked if this wasn't prominently featured in the platform.

“State efforts to reduce illegal immigration must be encouraged, not attacked.”

Efforts to reduce illegal immigration through ethical, rational means should be encouraged, but any government worth its salt will oppose methods that are outright bigoted and/or dehumanize illegal immigrants. Plus, the border fence is a colossal waste of time and money -- a fact that I suspect many Republicans know, yet continue to yap on about because it snares them the xenophobic and reactionary vote.

NO WOMEN IN COMBAT. The platform condemns “social experimentation” in the military, which covers everything from the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” to allowing officers to wear their uniforms in gay pride events to letting women serve on the front lines.

It's not "social experimentation" if it's already been successfully implemented in other nations.

NO NEW TAXES, EXCEPT FOR WAR.

Not a shocking stance for the Republicans, but still a horrifying insight into their antisocial priorities.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

shykid

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 12:47:07 pm »
Honestly, of all the things you mentioned, the only one I can say I support is the disallowing of military officers to wear their uniforms in gay pride parades.  I don't like the U.S. military being used for ANY political purpose.

War is a "political purpose," and expressing one's beliefs and political opinions as a member of the armed forces is acceptable, even if they are absolutely reprehensible, provided the individual doesn't claim to be speaking on behalf or the armed forces as a whole, but simply wearing one's uniform alone does not do that.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 01:53:58 pm »
At this point, they don't even go off into the deep end anymore. They define it.

THIS, now this is a plan for self-destruction.

Also Dear GOP, get the fuck off this planet.

Is it wrong that I actually agree with the Fed audit part, but that may have to do with the fact there are many progressives that are in favor of that idea, such as Bernie Sanders.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:10:38 pm by nickiknack »

Distind

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 02:19:36 pm »
Is it wrong that I actually agree with the Fed audit part, but that may have to do with the fact there are many progressives that are in favor of that idea, such as Bernie Sanders.
Only in that they still don't really know what the audit is. You can say auditauditaudit, but without detailing what you're auditing, what it should look like, and then coming out with a list of irregularities, an audit is meaningless. Particularly given what they fed is expected to do is attempt to herd cats with massive political influence and almost no sense.

Kinda reminds me of the old 'open fort knox' bid, where they did, all the gold was there, and everyone turned around and left for 40+ years.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 02:19:54 pm »
Of course, they left out the part about the economy.  So they blame Obama for it but have no answer themselves.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 02:33:43 pm »
What problem with the economy?  The rich are getting richer... so... what's the problem? /richrepublican

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 03:17:03 pm »
Im scared for you guys.

It doesn't seem to matter what the result is this November - things are going to be horrible for you :(

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 03:20:43 pm »
Its pretty much a foregone conclusion that Obama's going to win...defeating an incumbent president is very difficult, at best.  Add to that the fact that the GOP's pretty much gone balls-first into the Sea of Crazy, they're effectively fucking themselves.

Say what you want about Obama, at least he isn't as frothing-at-the-mouth nuts as these stupid bastards are.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.