Author Topic: Remember how bad the Ghostbusters was supposed to be?  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Remember how bad the Ghostbusters was supposed to be?
« on: July 28, 2016, 09:08:53 am »
And remember how no one was going to watch it and it was going to be a financial disaster?

No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
Re: Remember how bad the Ghostbusters was supposed to be?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 05:06:50 pm »
My anecdote:

As one of the biggest Ghostbusters fans ever (I have run or helped run a couple of fan sites) I was skeptical, like a lot of people.  Not flaming pissed off the way the MRAs were (I swear in the fall of 2014 I was expecting a bunch of the worst fans to start adding fedoras to their Ghostbuster uniforms), but skeptical.

Well, just a few days ago I finally saw it.  It wasn't as good as the first movie, but anybody who expected that was a fool...I'm not sure about being better than the second--there were some flashes of brilliance in GB2, but also some moments that made me want to throw things at the movie screen. 

I liked the four characters and thought they played off each other well;  I expected to like Kate McKinnon's character, and I did, but I was surprised at how much I liked Leslie Jones.

All in all, I enjoyed it a great deal--as did many at the main fan site, gbfans.com, though there are plenty of others who hated it, but most of them (such as a guy who's been tossing around the word "misandry" so much I submitted a couple of his quotes to FSTDT) were probably never going to like it.
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Remember how bad the Ghostbusters was supposed to be?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 02:49:07 pm »
With a little more data it is starting to look like the film won't be a particularly great success but it certainly isn't a flop either:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Ghostbusters-(2016)#tab=box-office

It is also doing decently internationally.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!