Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2073689 times)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #4635 on: August 03, 2013, 07:06:21 pm »
Lately, when I try to read while I'm on break, I keep falling asleep.  I'm into the book (Treasure Island), and I don't know if it's the heat, or I'm just worn out, but I can't go 5 minutes without having to reread a sentence or two.  At this rate, it'll take me a few months to finish instead of a couple of weeks.
Get addicted to energy drinks, like me.

Is your avatar what happens when you become addicted to energy drinks?

Coz I gotta get me some of those.  Brian looks like he's having fun.
No, that's cocaine. And whiskey and speed, of course.

Lately, when I try to read while I'm on break, I keep falling asleep.  I'm into the book (Treasure Island), and I don't know if it's the heat, or I'm just worn out, but I can't go 5 minutes without having to reread a sentence or two.  At this rate, it'll take me a few months to finish instead of a couple of weeks.
Get addicted to energy drinks, like me.

I'm pretty much 100% immune to common stimulants, including caffeine and all manner of energy drink. I regularly drink a large mug or two of coffee before going to bed. I once had three NoS energy drinks in a row at Otronicon and had absolutely zero effects.

I had a 5-Hour Energy once. All it did was give me a headache and gradually turn the left side of my body numb, the effects of which I expounded to the makeup class I was in at the time as they occurred. I got no energy at all.
I chug Monsters like I used to chug soda. Good thing I get the zero or 10 calorie ones.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #4636 on: August 03, 2013, 08:35:34 pm »
Caffeine has the opposite effect on me. Conversely, things like anesthesia and benadryl have the opposite of their effect, too.

It's called paradoxical excitation. It's a bitch and a half if you have an anesthesia team who doesn't know about it and you have to walk them through exactly what knocks you out. It's usually Ketamine cocktails.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

QueenofHearts

« Reply #4637 on: August 03, 2013, 09:03:47 pm »
Attending orientation for my campus job yesterday, and realizing how many 18yr olds I'm going to be surrounded by for the next year.

Be sure to say "back in my day" a lot.
That would be funnier if it hadn't already started... >.>

#Winning

I'm sorry, does this look like Twitter to you?

The poundsign-winning argument makes all other arguments invalid, since it was stated by Charlie Sheen and since he does tigerblood.

Check & mate

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4638 on: August 03, 2013, 09:43:03 pm »
My boyfriend is a bit of a stickler for correct terminology, but it can get painful. His housemates friend has a fear of bugs, anything crawly and insecty, and he boyfriend cobstantly says he cant be afraid of said creepy crawley because its not a true bug.

Its like "holy fuck can you stop arguing semantics and help me calm down the crying guy in a corner that had a bug crawl over his foot"

Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #4639 on: August 03, 2013, 09:52:45 pm »
My boyfriend is a bit of a stickler for correct terminology, but it can get painful. His housemates friend has a fear of bugs, anything crawly and insecty, and he boyfriend cobstantly says he cant be afraid of said creepy crawley because its not a true bug.

Its like "holy fuck can you stop arguing semantics and help me calm down the crying guy in a corner that had a bug crawl over his foot"

I knew it! You're boning lithp. OMG, this coincidence all makes sense now

mind=blown

Offline Leafy

• Radical Radish
  • Pope
  • "My bunny will eat your soul!"
« Reply #4640 on: August 03, 2013, 11:39:39 pm »
But Lithp also hates bugs. Does your boyfriend hate bugs?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4641 on: August 03, 2013, 11:42:04 pm »
The existence of different infinities.

Have to be honest here - I don't know what that means.
Same.

Math thing. Basically, some guy proved that you can have two sets that are infinite (for example, the natural numbers and the real numbers) with their infinities of different 'sizes'. This was controversial at the time (late 19th century), but nowadays it's standard mathematics. There's a (relatively speaking) well-known proof called the diagonal argument that is simple enough to understand that it often finds its way on to math popularization books, blogs and etc. As a result, people who don't understand math sometimes come upon the notion, declare it absurd, and then they post on philosophy forums and make stupid arguments and I explain to them that they are wrong and then complain here.
Σא

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4642 on: August 04, 2013, 12:44:48 am »
When people get pissy that you assumed the worst about them.

Even though you were right
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #4643 on: August 04, 2013, 01:30:13 am »
I bite my nails when I'm stressed, which leads to my nails looking ugly, which leads to more stress because people notice my nails looking like crap and think that by talking to me they can make me less stressed, which makes me MORE stressed because I don't like talking, which leads to me biting my nails...
Plus, it's annoying to try and do origami/count coins when you can't pick up the piece of paper without sliding it off the edge of the table.

You need to get like, super hard plastic nail caps that you can't bite through.

And then glue them on.
I got a set of those once. Turns out, when I can't bite my nails I try to rip them to pieces, and if I have something stuck to them... yeah, there's a reason the thumbnail on my right hand looks a little weird.
But back on topic, I hate it when I try to make cookies and they spread out too much, even when I add more flour than I'm supposed to. Which I just did, although it's partially my fault because I made peanut butter cookies with Nutella instead of peanut butter.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4644 on: August 04, 2013, 11:56:09 am »
The existence of different infinities.

Have to be honest here - I don't know what that means.
Same.

Math thing. Basically, some guy proved that you can have two sets that are infinite (for example, the natural numbers and the real numbers) with their infinities of different 'sizes'. This was controversial at the time (late 19th century), but nowadays it's standard mathematics. There's a (relatively speaking) well-known proof called the diagonal argument that is simple enough to understand that it often finds its way on to math popularization books, blogs and etc. As a result, people who don't understand math sometimes come upon the notion, declare it absurd, and then they post on philosophy forums and make stupid arguments and I explain to them that they are wrong and then complain here.

Soooo, its like someone stating that the Law of Large Numbers doesn't exist because they never met a gay black guy.

Incidentally, I used to know a gay black guy, and he was one of the very, VERY few people that was legitimately nice to me in school.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #4645 on: August 04, 2013, 03:30:41 pm »
People who can't pronounce foreign words. Assuming a word is a) spelled phonetically and b) has a vowel between each consonant sound, it shouldn't be hard to pronounce. Like "Antananarivo". What's the problem with that?
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4646 on: August 04, 2013, 04:24:30 pm »
I don't know where to put the emphasis, but other than that, I think I get the gist.

I know the pain, though.  My last name has a J in it.  It's polish, but... it's pronounced exactly like it's spelled.  People keep turning the J into a Y sound, though.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #4647 on: August 04, 2013, 04:38:12 pm »
I don't know where to put the emphasis, but other than that, I think I get the gist.

I know the pain, though.  My last name has a J in it.  It's polish, but... it's pronounced exactly like it's spelled.  People keep turning the J into a Y sound, though.
My last name (and my gf's) are both German. Nobody can pronounce either one correctly.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #4648 on: August 04, 2013, 06:03:35 pm »
Wrong thread.. so embarrassed  :-[
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 07:30:41 pm by Flying Mint Bunny! »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4649 on: August 04, 2013, 07:53:23 pm »

My last name (and my gf's) are both German. Nobody can pronounce either one correctly.

Odd, my surname's pretty easy to pronounce and spell (hint: its Irish and doesn't have a "Mac" or "Mc.").  The big issue is my FIRST name, everyone outside my family, a few close friends, and my girlfriend, constantly misspells it.  Its "E-R-I-K."  I even had a teacher that had the balls to correct me on the spelling of my own fuckin name.  I was damn tempted to smack the woman upside the head and call 'er a retard.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.