Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2075888 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #8460 on: December 31, 2014, 05:16:17 pm »
Yeah, sure, but "Frankenstein's monster" is a bit too long, there's no shorter version, and it's usually clear by context whether one means the monster or the scientist. It still bugs me, but as I've established before I'm annoyed by my own pedantry.
I this because of the 4chan screenshot?

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #8461 on: January 01, 2015, 06:22:35 pm »
Love being used to justify poeple doing terrible things in fiction.
You can stalk, harass, publicly humiliate, and even brainwash someone as long as it's "4 luv <3".
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 08:12:44 pm by I am lizard »

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8462 on: January 01, 2015, 07:00:54 pm »
Yeah, sure, but "Frankenstein's monster" is a bit too long, there's no shorter version, and it's usually clear by context whether one means the monster or the scientist. It still bugs me, but as I've established before I'm annoyed by my own pedantry.

If you want a "shorter version", why not call him Adam?  That's what Mary Shelly called the monster sometimes.

Because absent context, most people associate "Adam" with the guy with the snake and the fruit of knowledge.

You shouldn't feel bad about your own pedantry; the only people who complain about others' pedantry are people whose egos can't ever just accept the fact that they're wrong, they have to feel better about themselves by belittling the other person as if somehow they're the asshole for actually knowing stuff.  If anyone, without any sense of irony or humour, accuses you of being pedantic make sure they fully understand just how much of a cunt they are before you walk away smugly, secure in the knowledge that you're in the right and that you're better than them simply by the virtue of actually giving a fuck about truth and facts. Accuracy matters.  Try telling someone who mixes chemical explosives for a living, or a nurse giving our medications, that accuracy doesn't matter.  Ok, calling  Frankenstein's monster Frankenstein might not result in death but it's the principle that counts lol.

That's the thing, though. I'm not bothered by someone being precise when it comes to mixing chemicals or discussing technical subjects or whatever, because precision matters there. The Frankenstein thing, like the Oedipus thing, is pointless pedantry. It doesn't really matter what you call the monster if it gets the idea across. I don't like my internal impulse to get annoyed at such things because it wastes mental energy I could be using to care about things that matter. Or, y'know, just not being annoyed at things that won't change anyway. Also because I suspect it's less about precision than it is about trying to show off how smart I am, which is another bad habit I have.
Σא

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #8463 on: January 01, 2015, 07:50:07 pm »
My brother won't stop calling Palestinians Jordanians.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #8464 on: January 01, 2015, 09:16:57 pm »
Tell him that the Palestinians have more documented history in the region than the Israelis ever did.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #8465 on: January 01, 2015, 09:26:25 pm »
There's a local mockingbird that's learned how to imitate a car alarm.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #8466 on: January 01, 2015, 09:58:11 pm »
Must... Resist... Urge... To snark! Nope, can't do it.

Huh, UP doesn't like something making a lot of obnoxious noise that wont shut the fuck up. Go figure.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 10:00:38 pm by Svata »
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8467 on: January 01, 2015, 11:38:13 pm »
There's a local mockingbird that's learned how to imitate a car alarm.
Unless you've lived with Australian magpies, you do not know a thing about insufferable bird calls.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #8468 on: January 02, 2015, 12:26:20 am »
I dunno, Art... Them Mocs can be annoying... particularly when they take to singing at night.  They repeat their entire repertoire over and over and over and over and over.

Squidookle, nareek, and hanunger.

And if anyone gets the last line's reference, thou gets an E-Cookie.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8469 on: January 02, 2015, 12:43:28 am »
Personally, I'd rather have the little shits at night than at the asscrack of dawn. They give no fucks about humans unless you actively bully them, so if you're unlucky enough to have something they like to perch on right outside your bedroom window, they'll happily come right up to you and shriek at the top of their lungs. The only way to stop it is to either constantly harass them for about a month and they'll learn to stay away (most of the time at least), or poison them and any others that try to move in. Either way, you can never be completely rid of the little fucks at least occasionally waking you up at dawn.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #8470 on: January 02, 2015, 01:19:41 am »
I fucked up some shit in my steam folder and now my tf2 configs aren't working.
I've fucked around with it for several hours and I think i'm close to tears/stabbing right now.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #8471 on: January 02, 2015, 02:15:36 am »
Also because I suspect it's less about precision than it is about trying to show off how smart I am, which is another bad habit I have.

You know what they say about having it and flaunting it.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #8472 on: January 04, 2015, 09:44:25 pm »
Also because I suspect it's less about precision than it is about trying to show off how smart I am, which is another bad habit I have.

You know what they say about having it and flaunting it.

Is it to always flaunt regardless of time, place, or how appropriate?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #8473 on: January 05, 2015, 03:06:18 am »
People who act superior for not taking sides in an inernet debate.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8474 on: January 05, 2015, 06:45:46 am »
People who act superior for not taking sides in an inernet debate.
Was it a pointless fight?

Because I think less of people who spends huge amounts of time and energy arguing over trivial matter with complete strangers on the internet. Flaming people, personal insults and claims of being ex navy SEAL and staying up late at night simply because someone claimed that fictional space ship is a different shade of grey than you think...

I have seen some pretty stupid debates on internet and at least I can say that I did not take part in some of them.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!