Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2075157 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #9795 on: March 13, 2016, 12:11:56 pm »
Java keeps throwing memory access violations and making Minecraft crash.  You know, Java, if you didn't try to access memory that isn't allotted to you, THIS WOULDN'T FUCKING HAPPEN, YOU USELESS PIECE OF SHIT.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #9796 on: March 13, 2016, 12:51:44 pm »
Java keeps throwing memory access violations and making Minecraft crash.  You know, Java, if you didn't try to access memory that isn't allotted to you, THIS WOULDN'T FUCKING HAPPEN, YOU USELESS PIECE OF SHIT.

It's likely a Notch problem. Java is merely a powerful enough language to allow such mistakes.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9797 on: March 13, 2016, 01:32:07 pm »

It's likely a Notch problem. Java is merely a powerful enough language to allow such mistakes.

This is true, Notch is...kind of an idiot.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #9798 on: March 13, 2016, 01:41:49 pm »
Is there any reason why we still practice daylight savings, or do we just do it for the sake of tradition now?

Quite a few countries don't bother with it anymore and haven't for some time, others have never bothered with it, and they all seem to do just fine.  As far as I know none of them have blown up or sunk as a direct result, so presumably we all still do it just 'coz it's what we do.  Which is the stupidest reason to do anything really.

To be fair, mine is a country that still uses the arbitrary, retarded Imperial system for its measurements.  Might as well count with our fingers and toes like effing toddlers...

Could be worse, here in the UK we kind of use both Imperial and Metric.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #9799 on: March 13, 2016, 05:00:14 pm »
In other news, my daughter went to the potty and had a major poop. This is not the annoying bit. Her poop having little wriggly worms is the annoying bit. She had been acting a little weird so this may be related to that but I'm going to let doctors find out what the hell is wrong and what can be done to treat it.

How tiny? They may be pinworms. If they are, you're in luck, it's nothing too serious, and the cure is really cheap and over the counter.

To all you people whining about DST: show me your alternative, "more natural" time standard and I'll show you how it too is hopelessly complicated and/or artificial.

Daylight saving time isn't a hassle for me.

Okay. It's called not changing your time zone every six months. Very natural, very simple. Doesn't require me to suddenly get up at what my body thinks is 5:30 in the morning to go to work at what my body thinks is 6 in the morning.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 05:01:47 pm by Eiki-mun »
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9800 on: March 13, 2016, 05:22:42 pm »
I actually like daylight savings. Having all that daylight well into the evening is kind of cool, if you ask me.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #9801 on: March 13, 2016, 05:49:09 pm »
To all you people whining about DST: show me your alternative, "more natural" time standard and I'll show you how it too is hopelessly complicated and/or artificial.

Okay. It's called not changing your time zone every six months. Very natural, very simple. Doesn't require me to suddenly get up at what my body thinks is 5:30 in the morning to go to work at what my body thinks is 6 in the morning.

Time zones themselves are not very intuitive; we keep them around because it's what we've been using for the past 150-ish years. If we wanted the "most natural" reckoning we have the technology to convert longitude to apparent solar time (where the sun is highest in the sky at 12:00 p.m.) or sidereal time, but then you're abandoning the 24-hour day; worse, in the case of apparent solar time, each day doesn't have the same length. If you really want a 24-hour day with independently-defined seconds, you still have to correct for Earth's irregular rotation and add leap seconds if you want it to seem like a solar day.

I accept the mild DST kludge on top of the multiple kludges we already have in time measurement.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Eiki-mun

• The Beast
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #9802 on: March 13, 2016, 05:50:20 pm »
I actually like daylight savings. Having all that daylight well into the evening is kind of cool, if you ask me.

I don't like having to be at work at 6 AM instead of 7.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9803 on: March 13, 2016, 05:58:23 pm »

Time zones themselves are not very intuitive; we keep them around because it's what we've been using for the past 150-ish years. If we wanted the "most natural" reckoning we have the technology to convert longitude to apparent solar time (where the sun is highest in the sky at 12:00 p.m.) or sidereal time, but then you're abandoning the 24-hour day; worse, in the case of apparent solar time, each day doesn't have the same length. If you really want a 24-hour day with independently-defined seconds, you still have to correct for Earth's irregular rotation and add leap seconds if you want it to seem like a solar day.

I accept the mild DST kludge on top of the multiple kludges we already have in time measurement.

Except that if you make the timezones even smaller things will get even more complicated. We have timezones because the old version was having a different time in every damn city and village so instead we divided the planet into only few timezones. ...And even then some countries changed the borders of the timezones, usually to have less timezones inside the country, thus making things less complicated for everyday life.

The current system is pretty good as far as timezones go.

I'm still undecided about DST because it is not a problem to me, but there is enough evidence on how much trouble it causes to people so I suppose we would be better off without it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9804 on: March 13, 2016, 06:02:32 pm »

It only takes a couple of days to adjust at most.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #9805 on: March 13, 2016, 06:08:21 pm »
Surprise double shifts.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #9806 on: March 13, 2016, 06:08:38 pm »

I would agree. There is nothing like spending a nice evening out with the friends and family in front of a bonfire at 9PM with the sun still out.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Eiki-mun

• The Beast
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #9807 on: March 13, 2016, 06:09:03 pm »

It only takes a couple of days to adjust at most.

A couple of days where me and many others are essentially zombies on the road.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9808 on: March 13, 2016, 06:16:58 pm »
Damn good thing I take the train, then.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9809 on: March 13, 2016, 07:39:13 pm »
As a college student I say fuck Daylight Savings  time my sleeping schedule is already  shit as it is I don't need it more shitty by time shifts.