Author Topic: Blizzard gets Zerg rushed *kekekekekekek*  (Read 7359 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Re: Blizzard gets Zerg rushed *kekekekekekek*
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 01:18:13 pm »
  • Given that Blizzard has forced everybody to use Battle.net 2.0 for everything since WoW, why is this considered acceptable?
  • If there is inevitably going to be outages, hacks, ect why place all of your eggs in one basket?
  • For the love of all that is holy do not rely on a digital distribution method if the above occurs!

Valve realized such a while ago, thus Steam has an offline mode and games can be installed via physical medium.
Simple, because they don't want the rampant, rampant rampant piracy which occured with the earlier games happening again. They want to actually make money from the people who play their games.

There is a problem with using the always online limitation to strop piracy, it does not stop piracy. Go to a torrent site and look how World of Warcraft, the exemplary example of always on line, is pirated.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 01:36:14 pm »
Well, you can play on pirate servers. I've done it before. But let's be honest--pirate servers suck. They don't have the numbers or update schedule that make WoW worth playing.

In Diablo 2, with a pirated copy of the game, you can do everything except battle.net play. That means single-player and LAN games aren't hampered at all by pirating. With Diablo 3, you either have to substantially modify the pirated copy of the game, or you have to edit it to connect to a pirate server. Which, just like WoW and the pirate servers for every other game, will suck in comparison.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 01:56:36 pm »
"For the love of all that is holy do not rely on a digital distribution method if the above occurs!"
By that astounding lack of logic, no company should ever use digital distribution.  Try coming up with decent arguments this time.

Why u no read the word rely. An alternative mechanism to distribute and verify a product is not unprecedented nor impossible. But since Blizzard forced everyone to use Battle.net 2.0 the onus is on them.

Well, you can play on pirate servers. I've done it before. But let's be honest--pirate servers suck. They don't have the numbers or update schedule that make WoW worth playing.

In Diablo 2, with a pirated copy of the game, you can do everything except battle.net play. That means single-player and LAN games aren't hampered at all by pirating. With Diablo 3, you either have to substantially modify the pirated copy of the game, or you have to edit it to connect to a pirate server. Which, just like WoW and the pirate servers for every other game, will suck in comparison.

Such a method hampers piracy, but does not stop it. Merging the problems of multi-player and single player is simply not worth it. I will introduce two concepts here: vindictive piracy and challenging piracy.

Challenging piracy – is piracy for the challenge of it, bragging rights, lulz, ect. The scene and organized groups commonly embody this concept.

Vindictive piracy – is piracy spurred by perceived or real grievances by a consumer base, it is reactionary in nature.

Those pirated servers, once up, are not going to be as sucky (population wise) due to the backlash against Activision-Blizzard.

So... I'm ignorant of Korean culture... because I think it's stupid for people to pay a webcafé money to access a brand new online-only game during the first few days after its release, when access to that game is pretty much guaranteed to be unreliable?

Webcafés are much more prominent in Korea due to socio-cultural differences.

You do realize that webcafes do not buy a copy of a game per customer right? Take a look a Blizzard’s EULA, multiple people using one account is called account sharing. Blizzard can effectively shut them down.

Blizzard post Activision merger has gone after competitive teams that play eports (they they sponsored even!) using their games because they used a shared team account to practice. See HuK for a very early example.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:19:18 pm by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 02:22:47 pm »
You do realize that webcafes do not buy a copy of a game per customer right? Take a look a Blizzard’s EULA, multiple people using one account is called account sharing. Blizzard can effectively shut them down.

Blizzard post Activision merger has gone after competitive teams that play eports (they they sponsored even!) using their games because they used a shared team account to practice. See HuK for a very early example.
It's against the EULA to share an account, not a CD key. So, for example, if my friend spends a lot of time at my house, he can play my copy of Diablo 2, he just has to register his own free account. He couldn't play on my account.

So, what webcafés would do is buy 1 copy of Diablo 2 or StarCraft: Brood War per computer (since the same CD key cannot be in use online on more than one account at a time), then charge their customers to play the games. This allowed effectively infinite customers to play the games with very little money actually going to Blizzard. Let's say the webcafé bought 50 copies of Diablo 2, but over the course of a year sold play time to 1,000 people. That's 950 copies of Diablo 2 not sold to player, and 950 people who played the game without giving a cent to the maker of the game.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 02:33:18 pm »

It's against the EULA to share an account, not a CD key. So, for example, if my friend spends a lot of time at my house, he can play my copy of Diablo 2, he just has to register his own free account. He couldn't play on my account.

This is no longer true with Diablo 3, one account = one CD key. Same for SC2.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:45:59 pm by The Illusive Man »