Author Topic: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread  (Read 2066443 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Reply #8265 on: January 12, 2014, 12:38:51 pm »
Sherlock and whatever that "John" character in that "Johnlock" ship is

I don't think you know a whole lot about the source material here.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #8266 on: January 12, 2014, 12:41:29 pm »
Perhaps it's because of - as mentioned before - my lack of interest in it.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #8267 on: January 12, 2014, 12:44:28 pm »

John, as in John Watson. From Sherlock Holmes.

Edit: Couple that with the "whatever the names of those pretty boys from Supernatural are" and not knowing the difference between Anna and Elsa in Frozen when criticizing their face modeling, I'm starting to wonder just how much you actually look at this stuff before trying to talk about it.

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #8268 on: January 12, 2014, 08:24:46 pm »
I never was into manga, so I kinda can relate. lol

Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8269 on: January 13, 2014, 04:01:39 am »

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #8270 on: January 13, 2014, 06:05:27 am »

A lack of interest is irrelevant.  Sherlock Holmes is so famous and such an important and influential part of literary history it's almost impossible to avoid absorbing some basic knowledge about it from the world around you without even activley looking to find out stuff about it.

For example, I have zero interest in The Beetles.  I've never listened to a record by the band or any of the individual member's solo efforts.  I've never intentionally sought out any information about them.  But yet I can still name every single member as well as name some of their albums.  Because it's practically impossible to not know.  I'd have to have put actual effort into not knowing.

I'm not saying you should have any interest in Sherlock Holmes, either the new TV serious or the original stories. But I am genuinely suprised you didn't know John Watson's name.  Maybe it's just because I'm from the UK, I dunno.

Edit: Also, Cumberbach is hardly what most people would consider a "pretty boy", at least not in the typical usage of the term.  He's rather odd looking, even people who fancy him (and I'm sure there's no shortage) would probably concede that he's a little bit odd looking and not conventionally "pretty".
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 06:10:58 am by Katsuro »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8271 on: January 13, 2014, 01:15:03 pm »
In our next episode of "Japan, please stop creeping us out."

Supposedly that a pilot from Japan's air force and her helicopter... A little digging in the internet got me this:
http://otakumode.com/news/51a149bf8ccdf39e1300d1e4/The-Four-Sisters-of-the-Fourth-Anti-Tank-Helicopter-Squad-are-Celebrated-One-Last-Time!

So... If I'm reading that correctly, those things are real, but just a stunt by the unit. At least the higher ups put an end to that so there will not be a war where vehicles with cute anime girls painted on them battle each other...

EDIT: Finnish weather is pretty weird now, but at last the winter has arrived.
Pic on left January 5th. Pic on right January 12th.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 01:17:43 pm by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #8272 on: January 13, 2014, 05:18:22 pm »
SCA?

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #8273 on: January 13, 2014, 06:42:23 pm »
In our next episode of "Japan, please stop creeping us out."

Supposedly that a pilot from Japan's air force and her helicopter... A little digging in the internet got me this:
http://otakumode.com/news/51a149bf8ccdf39e1300d1e4/The-Four-Sisters-of-the-Fourth-Anti-Tank-Helicopter-Squad-are-Celebrated-One-Last-Time!

So... If I'm reading that correctly, those things are real, but just a stunt by the unit. At least the higher ups put an end to that so there will not be a war where vehicles with cute anime girls painted on them battle each other...

Can you imagine Japan facing some kind of war emergency so serious that they have to press the vehicles into service before they get repainted?

I'd imagine the enemy soldiers making a game out of shooting particular stars, or the left nipple.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #8274 on: January 13, 2014, 07:51:24 pm »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8275 on: January 13, 2014, 10:27:57 pm »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8276 on: January 13, 2014, 11:53:05 pm »
SCA?
Yea. If the armour on the right looks horrible, what with the duct tape and all, that's because it's our loaner armour.

On one hand we try to keep it good enough to be safe and it's about time to fix it up, but it's not like it needs to be pretty since we are hoping that the newcomers get their own armour after a while. Sooner than later if possible.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #8277 on: January 14, 2014, 12:08:45 am »
I'm familiar with the massive amounts of duct tape involved in the SCA. My parents were members when I was a kid.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #8278 on: January 14, 2014, 12:13:16 am »
If duct tape existed back in ye olden tymes, imagine how it would have changed history...

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #8279 on: January 14, 2014, 12:28:22 am »
They would have patched up their castles with it. I bet it could stop catapult stones.