Author Topic: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread  (Read 2068045 times)

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Reply #8670 on: March 20, 2014, 12:56:32 pm »
I still maintain that the phrase "Hey man, can I bum a fag?" is one of the funniest things ever when deliberately misinterpreted. I mean, you KNOW they're asking for a smoke, but at the same time...

I don't think anyone ever actually says that in real life though.

I've never heard anyone use the word "bum" when they want to borrow something. I think that's more of an American thing.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #8671 on: March 20, 2014, 01:09:47 pm »
I know a few people who have said it.. here, anyway. Then again, I hear/use a lot of what's commonly thought of as British slang around here, along with American slang. Words like "bloody" and "bugger" are extremely common, though I think their meaning is a bit milder than it is in the UK. Canada is weird, I guess. Actually no, we're not weird, it's the rest of you that are weird.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #8672 on: March 20, 2014, 01:35:50 pm »
I know a few people who have said it.. here, anyway. Then again, I hear/use a lot of what's commonly thought of as British slang around here, along with American slang. Words like "bloody" and "bugger" are extremely common, though I think their meaning is a bit milder than it is in the UK. Canada is weird, I guess. Actually no, we're not weird, it's the rest of you that are weird.

Americans treat foreign curses like "bloody", "bugger", "arse", and "scheiße" as much more benign than their own. You can almost always get away with cursing, even to the point of your media getting a lower age rating than it probably should, by using a lot of foreign curses or slang.

Which really highlights the silliness of cussing anyways. If the word is only considered obscene or vulgar in one particular culture, is it really the word's fault or the culture's?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8673 on: March 20, 2014, 02:30:49 pm »
Which really highlights the silliness of cussing anyways. If the word is only considered obscene or vulgar in one particular culture, is it really the word's fault or the culture's?

I'm not sure what "the word's fault" is supposed to mean. It's the very nature of language that meaning is dependent on the brains of the people talking, not the particular combination of sounds. Of course cursing won't be an exception to that.
Σא

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #8674 on: March 20, 2014, 03:54:59 pm »

Deer surprised by his own antlers shedding.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #8675 on: March 20, 2014, 07:09:28 pm »
Anyhoo, I always get a kick out of listening to the British using the word bleeding, bloody, bugger, etc in their spiels. It is very fascinating and I could listen to it in rapt attention. We just don't hear these outside of movies in Murica. The visitors from overseas seem to consciously shut down on that when visiting over here.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:11:07 pm by Hoplite »
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8676 on: March 20, 2014, 07:56:51 pm »
"Bellend" has always been my favourite English swear.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #8677 on: March 20, 2014, 08:06:47 pm »
"Bollocks" is the best English swear.

In Canada, we use "bloody" sometimes, though it's mostly a euphemism for harsher language. Also, I've been told that "bum" has a slightly cruder connotation across the pond, versus it being an innocent, childish term over here. Not sure how accurate that is, though.

And the different meanings for the word "fanny" will always be a source of amusement for me.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #8678 on: March 20, 2014, 09:16:11 pm »
This was my first exposure to British comedy, in the 80's, late at night, back in the day when they still showed the TV sign off images in the wee hours of the morning. I didn't catch on to Monty Python until later.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bxoAsvhcOI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bxoAsvhcOI</a>
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #8679 on: March 20, 2014, 09:18:09 pm »

I'm not sure what "the word's fault" is supposed to mean. It's the very nature of language that meaning is dependent on the brains of the people talking, not the particular combination of sounds. Of course cursing won't be an exception to that.

It just makes the whole idea of a "swear word" silly. The fact that you can use foreign curses without reprisal emphasizes how benign the words actually are, and how silly the concept of a word being inherently vulgar is.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8680 on: March 21, 2014, 08:04:25 pm »

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:20:13 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #8681 on: March 22, 2014, 07:49:18 pm »

Isn't that just going to waste even more of his money?

Surely there would be a more cost effective way of annoying this guy.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8682 on: March 22, 2014, 08:02:15 pm »
Isn't that just going to waste even more of his money?

Surely there would be a more cost effective way of annoying this guy.
I assume he has a plan where he can text as much as he wants. Trying that on a prepaid plan, though, yeah that would be a tad costly to say the least.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #8683 on: March 22, 2014, 08:30:03 pm »
He did have unlimited texting, this story was featured on a radio show I listen to, and they did say that.

edit: here's a transcript of the thing.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:31:35 pm by Randomwolf42 »

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8684 on: March 22, 2014, 08:39:15 pm »