Author Topic: Did anyone just watch the RNC speeches?  (Read 10620 times)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Did anyone just watch the RNC speeches?
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 07:47:18 pm »
Why was Clint arguing with a chair?
"A chair"? Is that how you talk about your President, young man? Mr. Eastwood obviously had a very interesting discussion with President Obama, and if I may say so, he totally talked him down. Obama had nothing against him. It was inspiring.

As a foreigner I have to ask this, because I have no idea : Was this big in television, did a big part of the population watch it, or was this just followed by those who lost their marbles anyway? I mean, does this actually influence those who are undecided? And how did the media react to this? I don't mean fox news, but those who are independent and neutral.... do you have big neutral news stations on the other side of the pond? Sorry for asking this, right now I feel like those guys who ask me if we have fridges and if Hitler is still in power, but as the only side of America I have seen in the last months were those people, I guess it's a valid question.
People do watch the cons or at least the coverage.  And yes people will believe these clowns.

Offline Sigma

• Neonate
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 07:53:05 pm »
[...]
People do watch the cons or at least the coverage.  And yes people will believe these clowns.

Well, that is just sad... and frightening.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 08:16:00 pm »
I'd love it if Clint Eastwood was simply invoking Poe's Law and just trolled the RNC harder than any person but him has a right to.
Makes you wonder if Anonymous was involved somehow.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 08:40:48 pm »
Anyone see Obama's actual response to Eastwood? Pretty awesome.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2012, 05:39:45 am »
Another highlight was when Romney mentioned Obama's promise to take steps to reduce global warming and the crowd laughed as if it was a joke. (and I'm not so sure that it wasn't) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbkYBGVVpSc

When Romney mentioned helping the poor and the sick, the crowd was silent. You could practically hear the crickets in the room.

Maddow's reaction to Clint Eastwood was priceless.

"I don't ... I don't ... I don't know. It's ... it's there. I don't...I don't............I don't know. That was the weirdest thing I've seen in a political convention in my life. If I live to 100, this will still be the weirdest thing I have ever seen in my life. Clint Eastwood is an 82 year old man, I'm not sure if that's what was going on there... I just don't know" - Maddow

I finally watched this after a someone on my FB page praised the $%#@ out of it.  normally, I respect Clint, and in this case I see what he's trying to do.  Unfortunately, pretty much everything he said is wrong.  No Obama didn't make the deadline of bringing troops home, but he did it, and took out Bin Ladin with a loss of ZERO American lives.  No he didn't bring the economy back to the Clinton years, but he did stop it from falling to another Depression.  Oh, and as for Conservatives no being outward about themselves, tell that to all the people with Romney/Mccain/Yes on 2 bumper stickers who ignore red lights, stop signs, turn signals, and other people!

Once again, I get the idea behind the speech, but the facts are way off.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2012, 10:59:09 am »

As a foreigner I have to ask this, because I have no idea : Was this big in television, did a big part of the population watch it, or was this just followed by those who lost their marbles anyway? I mean, does this actually influence those who are undecided? And how did the media react to this? I don't mean fox news, but those who are independent and neutral.... do you have big neutral news stations on the other side of the pond? Sorry for asking this, right now I feel like those guys who ask me if we have fridges and if Hitler is still in power, but as the only side of America I have seen in the last months were those people, I guess it's a valid question.

The convention was played on major cable networks during prime time, so a big part of the population had access to it (whether they watched it or not, I'm not sure, don't have those stats offhand).  The independent/neutral stuff I consider to be along the lines of PBS, and they were there covering it and inteviewing delegates.  I think they did a decent job of pointing out some of the misinformation, but they had a hard time talking to some of the people they interviewed -- the interviewees were sometimes yelling/running over top of the people asking the questions.  I thought their analysis was pretty fair.  But I don't personally think most Americans watch PBS or other "neutral" stations.  Just my opinion, though.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2012, 12:18:46 pm »
A lot of people watch the conventions, according to Nielsen, it was 33 million this time.  The Presidential candidates nomination acceptance speeches draw the biggest television audiences of the entire election, except for the debates.

After a party's convention, their presidential candidate gains a few points in the polls.  Political Scientists refer to it as the "convention bump."  I would guess that most of the people who are part of that shift are undecideds who would probably have ended up voting that way to begin with, but I can't back that up with data.  I also don't know how consistently people who start polling toward a candidate following their party's convention actually support that candidate by election day.  It may very well be that they are just excited by all the pomp and circumstance, and that excitement could wear off by November.

In any case, the convention bumps tend to be fairly small and equal for both parties.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 02:26:00 pm »
Didn't listen to these mouth-breathers. Won't listen to their opponents. It only encourages them.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2012, 10:38:00 pm »
I did it was more for telling me that there is a 1984 movie

There's also this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPy0GGXYLRY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPy0GGXYLRY</a>

I haven't seen it all the way through, so I can't say how close it stays to the book.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2012, 12:37:45 am »
Has anyone made dementia jokes yet? Because, ”having hallucinations, arguments, striking out, and violent behavior” describes Clint’s behavior at the convention all too well.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z_-ZDgwVog" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z_-ZDgwVog</a>
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2012, 01:04:04 am »
Well senility was mentioned, which could be grouped in with that.

• The Beast
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2012, 01:48:51 am »
Has anyone made dementia jokes yet?
Yes, and much, much more ;D

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2012, 01:55:28 am »
Speaking of which, I've heard George Takei is writing the script for a similar skit for the DNC.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

• The Beast
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2012, 02:14:16 am »
Speaking of which, I've heard George Takei is writing the script for a similar skit for the DNC.
Amazing. I <3 George Takei.

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2012, 12:03:05 pm »
In an odd way it totally makes sense he was talking to an empty chair.  After all, their version of what Obama is, where he came from and what he stands for or will do isn't real anyway.  Their version is a made up boogeyman.  He was talking to an imaginary enemy.