Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1673642 times)

Offline Nemo

• Pope
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #5415 on: January 26, 2015, 12:06:13 pm »
One of my liberal friends (and one who is actually very into politics no less) saw American Sniper and enjoyed it. Plenty of conservatives probably enjoyed Brokeback Mountain too, as being opposed to public spending doesn't instantly make you opposed to gay rights. If they're complaining about a few public loudmouths, well I can pull up some stupid stuff Rush Limbaugh has said.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #5416 on: January 26, 2015, 12:09:18 pm »
I haven't seen the movie so I have no opinion on it and war movies don't really interest me all that much. But from what I heard of some of the passages in the book American Sniper they do seem a little disturbing.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #5417 on: January 26, 2015, 01:10:06 pm »
I have seen posts on Tumblr comparing it to Nazi propaganda. Then again, it is Tumblr, and they're full of crazies.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #5418 on: January 26, 2015, 05:12:13 pm »
I have seen posts on Tumblr comparing it to Nazi propaganda. Then again, it is Tumblr, and they're full of crazies.
I haven't heard that comparison, but I definitely haven't heard good things about it.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5419 on: January 26, 2015, 06:18:19 pm »
It files away the character of a rather (even if I remove his bragging, since confirmed sniper kills generally require a witness) competent, if remarkably psychotic, soldier. Even without the virulent racism on Kyle's part, I doubt it would be considered a classic.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:20:51 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #5420 on: January 26, 2015, 06:29:55 pm »
Not to speak ill of the dead, but the man was also a proven liar which is understandably adding a lot of fuel to the fire.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #5421 on: January 26, 2015, 11:29:33 pm »
General conservative military worship doesn't help matters. I was called a terrorist sympathizer and told that I should go get shot at by ISIS for pointing the flaws with people defending Kyle's sociopathic, at best, statements and writings with "you can't judge if you haven't had his experiences."
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:34:44 pm by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #5422 on: January 27, 2015, 01:06:29 am »
Wow, you're against witch trials, you must want the withes to win.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #5423 on: January 27, 2015, 01:16:15 am »
Wow, you're against witch trials, you must want the withes to win.

You can't criticize the tactics of the witch hunters unless you've been a witch hunter.
Who needs a signature?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5424 on: January 27, 2015, 01:42:28 am »
I'd gladly speak ill of that disgusting psychotic cretin.

The only reason he's viewed as a hero and not as a serial killer is because he just so happened to murder people for the government.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #5425 on: January 27, 2015, 03:55:39 am »

The only reason he's viewed as a hero and not as a serial killer is because he just so happened to murder people for the government.
So Dexter basically?

I've known a few people who were in the military, they were all at best slightly fucked in the head. At least a couple of them would be in jail if they hadn't had a proper focus to guide them. That's not to say they were drooling psychos, just not well suited for mainstream boring old society and destined to butt heads with it.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5426 on: January 27, 2015, 08:02:32 am »

So Dexter basically?

I've known a few people who were in the military, they were all at best slightly fucked in the head. At least a couple of them would be in jail if they hadn't had a proper focus to guide them. That's not to say they were drooling psychos, just not well suited for mainstream boring old society and destined to butt heads with it.

Part of that has to do with the general trauma of being in war.  You start to think in a certain way, and when its a matter of life and death, it sticks for quite a while.  Coming back to normal, civilian life after that is an incredible shock, and given the rather alarming lack of adequate psychological care for veterans, it only stands to reason that quite a few of them are unstable.

That said, some people ARE generally fucked in the head BEFORE joining the military, soooooo...yeah.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #5427 on: January 27, 2015, 04:35:49 pm »
i saw the movie, and you know what? it is disturbing. if you'll let me indulge in armchair psychology for a minute, it's a clear-cut case of ptsd mixed in with jingoism (texas, y'all), and by the end of the movie, psychotically tinted emotional attachment (aka savior syndrome). the man was a wreck. it's not meant as a patriotic movie. it's a dark tale of the dychotomy between what people perceive as their heroes and what they actually do and what they become. it's a tough movie.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #5428 on: January 27, 2015, 05:12:13 pm »
^ Have to agree there.  I'm reminded of a movie several years ago, (but I can't remember its name) that told the story of a unit of military grunt guys who were all prepared and psyched up into the mindset of killing the enemy and when it came down to it, they weren't able to do anything.  There was no order to kill/attack,  and it was devastating to their minds.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #5429 on: January 27, 2015, 05:50:20 pm »
It's probably worth noting that many ancient societies had mystical/religious rituals to separate a soldier's identity in combat from his identity at home. It wouldn't have solved every problem, of course, and it probably came with a host of its own, but I can't help wondering if something similar would help our returning vets.

On the other end of the scale, you have societies like the Spartans, who (so I've heard) approached war the way a laborer approached work...messy and often unpleasant, but necessary. I've heard that they even used farming terms to describe combat, to help reduce the emotional impact...the front line of their phalanx engaging an enemy was called "reaping", for example, particularly when they got close enough that they had to rely on their short swords rather than spears.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.