Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1675988 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #5775 on: July 05, 2015, 04:34:56 pm »
Yeah, Churchill knew war. He was exactly the right leader for a Britain already embroiled in a war. Thing was, war was really all he knew. He was pretty broken up about Neville Chamberlain's premature death because he had thought to have Chamberlain keep the UK running while he focused on the war efforts. In the 1945 general election, he said that Labour's plans would require a Gestapo to implement, which illustrated pretty starkly the difference between Churchill the war leader and Churchill the peacetime politician.

But, y'know, beating Hitler will make you the last non-royal to have been offered a dukedom. (Technically, Prince Philip was offered his dukedom before he became a royal, but he was created Duke of Edinburgh on the day he married Princess Elizabeth.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5776 on: July 05, 2015, 05:23:40 pm »
Yeaaaaaaah...the crazy motherfucker was rearing and ready to go to war with Stalin before Hitler's corpse had even cooled off.  Ya know, after large swaths of the developed world (and large swaths of undeveloped places, as well) had been bombed to shit and Britain could barely find two adjacent buildings that hadn't been turned to rubble?  Churchill was, as dpareja pointed out, a warmongering psychopath.  Hell, that's one of the reasons he was all but thrown out of office: he was just too fucking blood-hungry.

On the other hand, he was re-elected in 1950.

He was, and then he left office shortly after Queen Elizabeth II was crowned. I think it was more voters kicking out Labour than electing the Conservatives that made him Prime Minister after that election.

And, as I noted, he was not only a warmonger, he was also a raging racist: look at Bengal in 1943, or his attitude toward Mohandas Gandhi.

Knowing what we know now about Gandhi, Churchill might have been a little bit ahead of the curve there.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #5777 on: July 05, 2015, 07:58:14 pm »
Yeah, Churchill knew war. He was exactly the right leader for a Britain already embroiled in a war. Thing was, war was really all he knew. He was pretty broken up about Neville Chamberlain's premature death because he had thought to have Chamberlain keep the UK running while he focused on the war efforts. In the 1945 general election, he said that Labour's plans would require a Gestapo to implement, which illustrated pretty starkly the difference between Churchill the war leader and Churchill the peacetime politician.

But, y'know, beating Hitler will make you the last non-royal to have been offered a dukedom. (Technically, Prince Philip was offered his dukedom before he became a royal, but he was created Duke of Edinburgh on the day he married Princess Elizabeth.)
Bengal is essentially the butt monkey of the region.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #5778 on: July 05, 2015, 09:20:09 pm »
Yeaaaaaaah...the crazy motherfucker was rearing and ready to go to war with Stalin before Hitler's corpse had even cooled off.  Ya know, after large swaths of the developed world (and large swaths of undeveloped places, as well) had been bombed to shit and Britain could barely find two adjacent buildings that hadn't been turned to rubble?  Churchill was, as dpareja pointed out, a warmongering psychopath.  Hell, that's one of the reasons he was all but thrown out of office: he was just too fucking blood-hungry.

He was, and then he left office shortly after Queen Elizabeth II was crowned. I think it was more voters kicking out Labour than electing the Conservatives that made him Prime Minister after that election.

And, as I noted, he was not only a warmonger, he was also a raging racist: look at Bengal in 1943, or his attitude toward Mohandas Gandhi.

Knowing what we know now about Gandhi, Churchill might have been a little bit ahead of the curve there.

Not sure what you're referring to here. Did I miss some big revelation about Gandhi?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5779 on: July 05, 2015, 09:57:17 pm »
Racist, sexist, mysognisitic and oh yeah, pedophile

Ironbite-Ghandi wasn't exactly all prayer circles and hunger strikes.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5780 on: July 05, 2015, 10:24:04 pm »
Racist, sexist, mysognisitic and oh yeah, pedophile

Ironbite-Ghandi wasn't exactly all prayer circles and hunger strikes.

I don't think Gandhi was a misogynist.  He's known to have fought for women's rights.  He might be considered mildly sexist by modern standards, but he was hardly a proto-redpiller.

While it's true that he was racist against black people, evidence suggests that views on race evolved during his life, much like with Abraham Lincoln. 

I've never heard anything about him being a pedophile, so I can't comment on that.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5781 on: July 05, 2015, 10:25:57 pm »
Whether its for religious reasons or not (preserving semen is, according to the yoga doctrine, supposed to confer spiritual power), sleeping naked with underage girls (who, too, are unclothed) is more than a little fucked up.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #5782 on: July 06, 2015, 07:50:28 am »
One person that was built-up as awesomesauce but turned out to be a whole lotta nothing was Mother Teresa.....
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Mother_Teresa

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5783 on: July 06, 2015, 08:01:55 am »
One person that was built-up as awesomesauce but turned out to be a whole lotta nothing was Mother Teresa.....

As I read that, I thought you were going for this guy.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5784 on: July 06, 2015, 09:24:13 am »

Yeah, I did some research, and "Rational"Wiki is full of shit.  A lot of the anti-Mother Teresa movement is based on misunderstandings.

Mother Theresa's entire operation was about an absolute open door policy.  Nobody could be turned aside, nobody would be left on the streets, etc.  This meant that her hospices (not hospitals!) focused more on quantity than quality, given that Calcutta actually has a quite a few poor people, especially back then.  The anti-Mother Theresa movement or whatever is entirely fueled by a firm inability or refusal to understand her aims or the context in which she worked.

I mean, people criticize her all the time for her hospices (again, not hospitals) not being up to the standard of a western hospital.  But she was in fucking Calcutta, and well before India's economy started taking off, not London.

Additionally, the medicines she refused to use were explicitly pain medications.  She eschewed the traditional negotiated death that hospices usually provide in favor of a lucid death.  As a result, she'd use weaker, cheaper painkillers in place of opiates and the like.  She did not play the game of giving medications that would hasten death but relieve suffering.  And that's assuming she could even get opiates, which were heavily restricted in India at the time. 

Was Mother Teresa perfect?  No.  Did she have flaws?  Absolutely.  Was she as bad as Hitchens said she was?  Hell no!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5785 on: July 11, 2015, 06:22:00 pm »

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #5786 on: July 11, 2015, 09:56:08 pm »

GOOD GRAVY!

Wrong on so many levels.

Nazism destroyed Germany!

I REFUSE TO LIVE UNDER FASCISM!

And "Snidely Whipstein" is getting really annoying!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #5787 on: July 11, 2015, 10:11:32 pm »

Check that - Labor won, the system is just silly.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 10:16:00 pm by Lt. Fred »
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5788 on: July 11, 2015, 10:22:14 pm »

On the other hand, he was re-elected in 1951.

Check that - Labor won, the system is just silly.

Winston Churchill was Conservative, not Labor.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #5789 on: July 11, 2015, 11:13:21 pm »

Nazism destroyed Germany!

I really, really hate to have to defend Nazism in any context, but... no, no it didn't. In fact, Nazism got Germany out of the Great Depression early. If anything, it created a relative boom in the thirties in that nation. What destroyed Germany was, plain and simple, World War II and Hitler's expansionism. And no, that's not inherent to Nazism.

Now, don't get me wrong. Nazism is a horrible ideology and anyone who willingly supports it is misguided at best and malevolent at worst. But let's not blame it for everything in Germany.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.