Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1675574 times)

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #5985 on: October 26, 2015, 09:38:10 am »
WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY WANT A BILL?!

USA get your shit together!

Because a bill ties a specific person to a specific address so when used in conjunction with another piece of I.D. it's a reasonable check against fraud.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #5986 on: October 26, 2015, 10:06:17 am »
The bill thing is allegedly to establish which legislative district (Congress, state, county and city representative and councilman districts) the voter resides in on voting day. Many poor people live in apartments and even small houses where the landlords hold the utility accounts and include it in rent, since many poor people have bad credit and can't afford the large security deposits necessary to start a utility account of their own. If the impoverished voter has no other regular bill, say for a credit card, and has no bank account statement - again, something not everyone can get if they have bounced checks in the past - they can be SOL'ed out of their right to vote. The reason it is bullshit is because when you Register to vote, you fill out and sign forms providing the required information to the polling officials, and they send your voter ID card to you after they have verified you are who you say you are. The cards typically are simple with no photo, but they are the law of the land. Legislation adding further requirements at the polling places add a hurdle that is at best in a Constitutional grey area, especially if requiring more than a common second ID, such as a state driver license or state photo ID (which you get at the driver license bureaus).

The other more pervasive way to disenfranchise voters is the judicial system; you lose your right to vote when convicted of a felony, such as possession of a small amount of pot or cocaine in their various forms.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:43:06 am by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #5987 on: October 26, 2015, 10:40:11 am »
It just occurred to me that because of malnutrition prostate cancer would actually be more likely to affect the poor and hungry.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5988 on: October 26, 2015, 12:21:45 pm »
The other more pervasive way to disenfranchise voters is the judicial system; you lose your right to vote when convicted of a felony, such as possession of a small amount of pot or cocaine in their various forms.

Has this ever been challenged in the courts? It's always seemed really barbaric to me.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5989 on: October 26, 2015, 12:24:37 pm »
It just occurred to me that because of malnutrition prostate cancer would actually be more likely to affect the poor and hungry.

...I think you posted this in the wrong thread.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5990 on: October 26, 2015, 12:30:54 pm »

Has this ever been challenged in the courts? It's always seemed really barbaric to me.

No one would take the case lest they be tarred forever for being "soft on crime."  Welcome to America, the best-developed third world country on the planet.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #5991 on: October 26, 2015, 01:27:41 pm »

No one would take the case lest they be tarred forever for being "soft on crime."  Welcome to America, the best-developed third world country on the planet.

No disrespect, but I think you're confused. While it is true that some state judges are elected, voter disenfranchisement raises a federal question under the Constitution, thus entitling the case to be heard in federal courts. Federal judges are appointed for life, though can be removed by a sitting president, IIRC, or by an act of Congress. So, for the most part, federal courts would have no problem hearing the case for the given reason of being "soft on crime."

Nor would lawyers have problem arguing the case. While some like to demonize the noble profession, there are several civil rights organizations that would litigate the case in a heartbeat, and more than enough lawyers to do so. Additionally, since this is a violation of a civil right, it falls under 42 U.S.C. 1983. The only significance of the statute being that if the court finds for the plaintiff, the state owes reasonable attorney's fees, calculated by the Lodestar method at hours worked on the case times about $250 and hour (sometimes as high as $700). Long story short, there's money in them there hills.

And without looking it up, I'd be surprised if felon disenfranchisement hasn't been ruled on at some point by the Supreme Court, seeing all the things I've just said.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #5992 on: October 26, 2015, 05:45:58 pm »
Is there a state where a gun permit is considered a valid form of ID, but not a College ID?? I believe it may be Texas, not sure, but won't be shocked if it was.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5993 on: October 26, 2015, 06:28:47 pm »

No disrespect, but I think you're confused. While it is true that some state judges are elected, voter disenfranchisement raises a federal question under the Constitution, thus entitling the case to be heard in federal courts. Federal judges are appointed for life, though can be removed by a sitting president, IIRC, or by an act of Congress. So, for the most part, federal courts would have no problem hearing the case for the given reason of being "soft on crime."

Nor would lawyers have problem arguing the case. While some like to demonize the noble profession, there are several civil rights organizations that would litigate the case in a heartbeat, and more than enough lawyers to do so. Additionally, since this is a violation of a civil right, it falls under 42 U.S.C. 1983. The only significance of the statute being that if the court finds for the plaintiff, the state owes reasonable attorney's fees, calculated by the Lodestar method at hours worked on the case times about $250 and hour (sometimes as high as $700). Long story short, there's money in them there hills.

And without looking it up, I'd be surprised if felon disenfranchisement hasn't been ruled on at some point by the Supreme Court, seeing all the things I've just said.

A quick look at Wikipedia indicates that it has: Richardson v. Ramirez upheld felony disenfranchisement laws on the basis of section 2 of the Fourteenth Amendment, but Hunter v. Underwood did later put in some provisos based on the equal protection clause.

Also, I thought federal judges had to be outright impeached by Congress to be removed.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #5994 on: October 26, 2015, 09:22:29 pm »
Also, I thought federal judges had to be outright impeached by Congress to be removed.

Without looking it up, you're probably right. I was thinking of the U.S. Attorney dismissal fiasco from 10 years ago. Memory is a funny thing, as I recalled federal judges and not federal attorneys.

That is still not to say that there are no other ways to remove a federal judge. There may be. I'm not just fucked enough to look into it at the moment.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #5995 on: October 27, 2015, 12:41:26 am »

Really going for the gold standard when it comes to right wing bs, aren't they??
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:44:47 am by nickiknack »

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5996 on: October 27, 2015, 12:47:29 am »
Oh that's not racist at fucking all /sarcasm/ , but seriously that is probably one of the most racist things I've seen in the last ten days, and looking at the fine print of that weird ingredients list I can see this came from some really dumb White Supremacist rag. So in short fuck whoever drew this with a rusty spork and I hope they get hit by a bus cause fuck them that's why.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #5997 on: October 27, 2015, 09:04:17 am »
is that a fried rat? that was my idea!!
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #5998 on: October 27, 2015, 10:30:41 am »

Really going for the gold standard when it comes to right wing bs, aren't they??
It's the /pol/ (4chans nazi board) edit.

pyro

« Reply #5999 on: October 27, 2015, 12:37:04 pm »
So the original didn't have the fried rat in it. Anything else 4chan added?