Author Topic: Electronic Arts: Video games firm wants to stop being 'hated'  (Read 4925 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Electronic Arts: Video games firm wants to stop being 'hated'
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 12:19:14 pm »
The original meaning of an offer you can't refuse is that it is so huge, it's hard to turn down. Sorry, but I didn't think about the mob slang. If your production company has gotten large enough, chances are you are selling shares on the market, since after all, video game production needs plenty of capital. EA can buy enough of the company's stock to wedge control of the board.

The latter is somethin I don't quite get, either.  I mean...selling stock in your company is optional, isn't it?

If the stock is put on the market, anyone can buy it. Which means that if a company has enough cash, they can use the stock market as a way to quickly gain shareholder's influence.

Yeah. About the best the company can do is to offer various classes of stock, such as voting and non-voting. The non-voting shareholders don't get, well, a vote, but they generally get some other benefits, like higher priority on reimbursement from sales of the company's assets if the company goes bankrupt than do holders of voting shares. The company could then withhold most of the voting stock and only sell non-voting stock.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 12:19:16 pm »
The original meaning of an offer you can't refuse is that it is so huge, it's hard to turn down. Sorry, but I didn't think about the mob slang. If your production company has gotten large enough, chances are you are selling shares on the market, since after all, video game production needs plenty of capital. EA can buy enough of the company's stock to wedge control of the board.

The latter is somethin I don't quite get, either.  I mean...selling stock in your company is optional, isn't it?

If the stock is put on the market, anyone can buy it. Which means that if a company has enough cash, they can use the stock market as a way to quickly gain shareholder's influence.

Yes, but isn't the stock being on the market in the first place the choice of the company's owner and/or board of directors?  If so, then...just don't put that shit on the market.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 12:22:16 pm »

Yes, but isn't the stock being on the market in the first place the choice of the company's owner and/or board of directors?  If so, then...just don't put that shit on the market.

Sometimes you have to put stock on the market--as noted, it's a way to raise capital and sometimes other methods just won't cut it.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 12:23:49 pm »

Sometimes you have to put stock on the market--as noted, it's a way to raise capital and sometimes other methods just won't cut it.

I'd sooner take out a freaking loan.  My company, damn it!  I built it, I own it, I run it.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 12:26:16 pm »
And then run it into the ground when you aren't profitable enough to pay back the loan and selling stock would have been a less risky method.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 10:00:02 pm »
To the ground?  Fuck that, I'm goin straight to the centre of the earth!  LEEROY!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 03:16:36 am »
JENNNNNKIIIIINS!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline MadmanJohnson

• Wrath of Primus
  • Pope
  • Able to creep out Deimos.
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 07:51:13 am »
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
Before you die an agonizing, chainsaw-related death, you're gonna hear about the Hate Plague!
I'm accusing you of being stupid.
I dare to be stupid.