Author Topic: Xbox One  (Read 27214 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Xbox One
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2013, 07:16:18 pm »
I, too, would like it if more companies, not just Microsoft, would talk real English and not just Hypenese.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2013, 07:37:58 pm »
If X-Box One really is doing this "charge money for reactivation", then I predict that actual piracy will go up as a result of this.

GOG is proof that PC Gamers don't exactly like DRM, either, as GOG specializes in selling DRM-free games.

Man, remember when "DRM" consisted entirely of cute little interface things that would screw you over at an unknown point if you didn't have the manual?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Distind

« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2013, 08:06:11 pm »
They'll have to hack it in the first place, and both consoles have done quite a bit to prevent hacking in their recent updates. Unless they're idiots they'll apply those lessons to the new consoles straight out rather than leaving people with vunerabilities to use to pirate anything in the first place.

With the Xbone they'll have to deactivate the install check, the daily check and never be able to play online as the code they generate will likely not be activated.

Of course, there's plenty chance they missed something in the new hardware that a hacker will find first, but if they force an update on network connection they'll still be able to kill multiplayer.

That said, I SERIOUSLY doubt that the fee is really going to be 50 bucks, perhaps up to 50(for a release week title maybe), but no way in hell is that going to keep going for very long.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2013, 09:55:31 pm »
I, too, would like it if more companies, not just Microsoft, would talk real English and not just Hypenese.

This, so goddamn fucking hard.  Just tell us what the system can ACTUALLY do and we can figure it out from there.

EDIT:

Hahaha, so apparently when they were talking about the new Kinect during the live stream, people's 360 kinects would respond to the commands, bringing menus up or even flat out disconnecting people from the live stream.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 11:55:21 pm by TGRwulf »
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2013, 04:06:05 am »
Just for a little balance, Sony's PS4 might not end up being much better than the Xbox One for all this DRM and used game malarkey:

http://kotaku.com/rumor-the-ps4-has-used-games-drm-509969406

That is still in the realms of rumour and speculation but Sony seems to be being as vague and non-committal about it as MS is.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2013, 04:16:41 am »
Yeah, I was telling people not to count their chickens before they hatch with the PS4 for a reason. Sony only said it could play used games, they never said that it wouldn't have DRM on them.
Who needs a signature?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2013, 04:18:39 am »
Well, if I ever get the money to buy a new gaming system, I'm going with a PC. The new lot of consoles look like a complete and utter mess. We've got either a horribly underpowered and gimmicky piece of shit or two horribly bloated and only slightly less gimmicky pieces of shit trying to be media centers. At this rate, even a fucking Mac of all things would be a better gaming platform than any of the new consoles.

I miss the Xbox/PS2/Gamecube generation more than ever right now.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2013, 05:24:50 am »
Well, if I ever get the money to buy a new gaming system, I'm going with a PC. The new lot of consoles look like a complete and utter mess. We've got either a horribly underpowered and gimmicky piece of shit or two horribly bloated and only slightly less gimmicky pieces of shit trying to be media centers. At this rate, even a fucking Mac of all things would be a better gaming platform than any of the new consoles.

I miss the Xbox/PS2/Gamecube generation more than ever right now.

Well it's always been the case really that if you have the money, and ideally the expertise (as upgrading is a lot cheaper and simpler if you can do it yourself) PC gaming was the way to go.  Plus modding open-world games like GTA and Elder Scrolls makes them 100 times more fun than they were already.

But people who gamed exclusivley on the PC did miss out one some genuinley excellent console exclusives.  But it's obviously too early to tell yet if either console will have games that will make this bullshit worth while....asuming the bullshit ends up being as bad as people are expecting.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2013, 05:25:34 am »
I succumbed to temptation and got a Asus G74SX just so I could play ME2 & III some time ago.

It's already old but it keeps me fit as it weighs a bloody ton when I have to lug it around with me.  ;D

Art Vandelay

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2013, 05:43:26 am »
Well it's always been the case really that if you have the money, and ideally the expertise (as upgrading is a lot cheaper and simpler if you can do it yourself) PC gaming was the way to go.  Plus modding open-world games like GTA and Elder Scrolls makes them 100 times more fun than they were already.

But people who gamed exclusivley on the PC did miss out one some genuinley excellent console exclusives.  But it's obviously too early to tell yet if either console will have games that will make this bullshit worth while....asuming the bullshit ends up being as bad as people are expecting.
I used to like consoles because they were cheaper and a lot less hassle to use than PC. Not to mention spreading myself out on the couch with a controller is much more comfortable than sitting at a desk to use a PC. To be honest, I've wanted to get into high end PC gaming for quite a while now, but the new console generation has nigh-on guaranteed that I'll never buy a next-gen console. Not one of the new consoles even has a sensible control scheme. The Xbox One has requires a Kinect, the PS4 has a fucking touch pad of all things in the middle of the controller and, well, the less said about the Wii-U, the better. Then there's all this media center bullshit that already does what most TVs already do, only shittier.

It's as though all three console produces have bent over backwards to destroy what few advantages consoles had over PCs. It's utterly ridiculous.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2013, 05:51:47 am »

I used to like consoles because they were cheaper and a lot less hassle to use than PC. Not to mention spreading myself out on the couch with a controller is much more comfortable than sitting at a desk to use a PC. To be honest, I've wanted to get into high end PC gaming for quite a while now, but the new console generation has nigh-on guaranteed that I'll never buy a next-gen console. Not one of the new consoles even has a sensible control scheme. The Xbox One has requires a Kinect, the PS4 has a fucking touch pad of all things in the middle of the controller and, well, the less said about the Wii-U, the better. Then there's all this media center bullshit that already does what most TVs already do, only shittier.

It's as though all three console produces have bent over backwards to destroy what few advantages consoles had over PCs. It's utterly ridiculous.

These days too you can buy yourself a pretty decent gaming PC for not all that much more than a new console when they're first released, so the money side of things is slowly becoming less of an issue.  MY PC cost me around £500 or so and it's able to play most games on settings that still look better, with a faster frame rate, than what the latest 360 and PS3 games can do.  The only downside is that the more graphically demanding games make my Pc sound like it's about to launch into space.

My PC is a a year or two old now so I imagine now you could get a PC that's slightly better for the same money or maybe even a little cheaper.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2013, 06:12:48 am »
These days too you can buy yourself a pretty decent gaming PC for not all that much more than a new console when they're first released, so the money side of things is slowly becoming less of an issue.  MY PC cost me around £500 or so and it's able to play most games on settings that still look better, with a faster frame rate, than what the latest 360 and PS3 games can do.  The only downside is that the more graphically demanding games make my Pc sound like it's about to launch into space.

My PC is a a year or two old now so I imagine now you could get a PC that's slightly better for the same money or maybe even a little cheaper.
Most definitely. Hell, in the long run, PC gaming is much cheaper than consoles in the long run thanks to Steam, GOG and the like. Especially here in Australia, where boxed games are extortionately expensive (AAA new releases can cost as much as $120). All in all, there's just no reason to buy a console over a PC.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2013, 06:39:19 am »
These days too you can buy yourself a pretty decent gaming PC for not all that much more than a new console when they're first released, so the money side of things is slowly becoming less of an issue.  MY PC cost me around £500 or so and it's able to play most games on settings that still look better, with a faster frame rate, than what the latest 360 and PS3 games can do.  The only downside is that the more graphically demanding games make my PC sound like it's about to launch into space.

Most definitely. Hell, in the long run, PC gaming is much cheaper than consoles in the long run thanks to Steam, GOG and the like. Especially here in Australia, where boxed games are extortionately expensive (AAA new releases can cost as much as $120). All in all, there's just no reason to buy a console over a PC.

I haven't been looking forward to the inevitable day when all music, movies and games will be downlaodable only and discs Will vanish forever, I like my discs :( .  I'm guessing though if in Australia boxed games cost $120 you can't wait for that day to arrive lol.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:41:40 am by Katsuro »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2013, 06:48:49 am »
I haven't been looking forward to the inevitable day when all music, movies and games will be downlaodable only and discs Will vanish forever, I like my discs :( .  I'm guessing though if in Australia boxed games cost $120 you can't wait for that day to arrive lol.
Yeah, without any brick and mortar retailers swinging their dicks around, publishers will have no reason to force digital distributors release games at different dates for different regions and keep their prices high. Though I don't want physical sales to completely disappear, just for digital distributors to gain the majority of the market share.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2013, 06:55:29 am »
To be honest it's mainly music and movie discs I'll miss rather than games.  Downloaded movies don't have any extra material, so no more fascinating insites into how they made the film, and downloaded music doesn't have any artwork expect for a single jpeg of the album cover.  Metal albums in particularl often have some amazing artwork in the booklet, along with lyrics etc.  When CD's are no more we won't get any of that anymore :(