Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1517308 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4245 on: February 16, 2014, 05:23:13 pm »
I remember in the first Prime game when Samus takes off the helmet, her face actually looked like a real woman. I wonder who's executive decision it was in particular to go "Yeah this isn't good enough, stick some high heels on the Zero Suit. oh, and make her a hella lot more submissive"

Of couse the side effect of Other M's epic bombing is that Nintendo may not put out a new Metroid for a while. Which is a shame, because a new Metroid is literally the only thing that would get me to buy a new Nintendo console at this point.

Daily reminder, everyone needs to play the Prime trilogy right now.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4246 on: February 16, 2014, 08:03:07 pm »
I've played prime two and three, but not the first. It just kept locking up for some reason.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4247 on: February 16, 2014, 08:25:24 pm »
I've played prime two and three, but not the first. It just kept locking up for some reason.

That's a shame. You played it on GameCube or Wii? I'm not sure if there are any cheap copies of the game floating around anymore, especially since Nintendo stopped publishing the Wii version. I guess if you have a computer powerful enough you could emulate it.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4248 on: February 17, 2014, 05:17:51 am »
I played 2 on the gc and 3 on the wii. I have neither console now.

Also hawken got releasaed as free to play, well, its not free right now, in a month it will. I quite like it, kills the time
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #4249 on: February 17, 2014, 04:59:52 pm »
I notice that a lot of people are claiming that Nintendo sucks compared to everyone else, and then turns around and complains about Sony/Microsoft's insane internet connection and DRM policies.

The fact that Nintendo hasn't done anything like that is apparently lost on these people.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4250 on: February 17, 2014, 05:56:06 pm »
I notice that a lot of people are claiming that Nintendo sucks compared to everyone else, and then turns around and complains about Sony/Microsoft's insane internet connection and DRM policies.

The fact that Nintendo hasn't done anything like that is apparently lost on these people.
Only Microsoft had the stupid always online DRM when they first announced the Xbone, and they reversed it long ago. Sony never had anything like that to begin with. Nintendo's issues of gimmicky and terribly underpowered non-handheld consoles with games that are staler than month old doughnuts that get a free pass solely because of nostalgia are still very much a thing.

Nintendo's problems aside, I have to say, Planescape: Torment looks so much better with the widescreen mod and the accompanying UI fixes. I'll never be lazy about modding old games again.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:44:33 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4251 on: February 18, 2014, 08:48:45 am »

Only Microsoft had the stupid always online DRM when they first announced the Xbone, and they reversed it long ago. Sony never had anything like that to begin with. Nintendo's issues of gimmicky and terribly underpowered non-handheld consoles with games that are staler than month old doughnuts that get a free pass solely because of nostalgia are still very much a thing.

Binnnnnnngo.  Microsoft and Sony can change, and have freaking proven it.  Nintendo has sucked arse since the N64...or do I need to remind you of the controller that was clearly designed for for fucking alien lifeforms with three hands and seven thumbs?  Seriously, who the hell designs these things?  Do they have a captive extraterrestrial from fucking Zeist or some shit design these things to be as painfully awkward as humanly possible?

I'm not sure of Nintendo still has their "censor anything not fit for an E rating" policy, but that's certainly fucked them to this day, because that's what they've become associated with: fucking kiddy crap and collections of pointless mini-games, with the occasional good thing thrown in.  The Wii was great for kids, and not much else.  The Wii-U is great for no one because no one outside a fucking Marfan's baby can use the absolutely inane control mechanism.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:53:41 am by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4252 on: February 18, 2014, 09:22:08 am »
Binnnnnnngo.  Microsoft and Sony can change, and have freaking proven it.  Nintendo has sucked arse since the N64...or do I need to remind you of the controller that was clearly designed for for fucking alien lifeforms with three hands and seven thumbs?  Seriously, who the hell designs these things?  Do they have a captive extraterrestrial from fucking Zeist or some shit design these things to be as painfully awkward as humanly possible?
That generation in general had some very shitty controllers. I can forgive things like the single thumbstick, since controller design for 3D games was still largely unexplored. However, the problem of the center of gravity being not between your hands, bit quite a bit forward and to the left is a little less forgivable. That's just as basic as you can get. The Playstation controller sucked as well, the left thumbstick was in the worst spot imaginable. My left thumb would cramp up after just half an hour of using that thing. To Nintendo's credit, they fixed that with the Gamecube, while Sony took yet another console generation to get their shit together. Microsoft, on the other hand, not only got it right on their first try, but also gave us something that wasn't designed for Japanese children. It's a big part of why I went with the Xbox for that generation.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #4253 on: February 18, 2014, 09:35:11 am »
Nintendo's issues of gimmicky and terribly underpowered non-handheld consoles with games that are staler than month old doughnuts that get a free pass solely because of nostalgia are still very much a thing.
You obviously haven't actually played on a DS or 3DS. Neither were/are "underpowered" for the gen.

I'm not sure of Nintendo still has their "censor anything not fit for an E rating" policy, but that's certainly fucked them to this day, because that's what they've become associated with: fucking kiddy crap and collections of pointless mini-games, with the occasional good thing thrown in.  The Wii was great for kids, and not much else.  The Wii-U is great for no one because no one outside a fucking Marfan's baby can use the absolutely inane control mechanism.
Wow. You are an arsehole. The moment you mention "kiddy rap" your entire argument just gets thrown out. Nintendo stopped censoring ages ago, tail end of the SNES era. In fact they allowed a game uncut on the Gamecube which wasn't on so on Xbox/PS2 (game was the terrible, BMX XXX, but yeah. Point still stands)

And you obviously haven't used a Wii U, or actually, you know, read up on it, or else you'd notice that the control is actually nice. Big, yeah. But to such a degree that it isn't useable, and its comfy and doesn't weigh a ton.

It seems like both of you are just, dare a I say it. Nintendo bashing fanboys.

And don't say "well you are a fanboy of Nintendo" because, well, look at my sig. Thats a PSN card. Last gen i had all 3 consoles (360, PS3 and Wii), this gen I have Nintendos and Sonys (because MS lost my love with that whole DRM thing and the always on Kinect thing. Yes, both were backtracked on, but i can't trust MS now. Plus gaming getting too expensive, can't support all of them any more).

Nintendo are my first love when it comes to gaming, I have had all their home and portable consoles (multiple of some *cough DS/DSLite/DSi*) but it doesn't mean i am blinkered. They are going through tough times right now. But so are Sony and MS, both are bleeding money and having to off laid things (Sony aren't making any more PCs, and MS need to realise that Windows 8 needs to be fully decided in two, one for tablets, one for PCs, the current best of both is more like worst of both) yet Sony/MS never got told they need to exit markets, or be sold off. Hmp.

Nintendo have changed. Sony has changed. MS has changed. They all make changes. Just because you dont like Nintendos changes (how dare they try and open up gaming to more people. HOW DARE THEY) doesn't make it wrong.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4254 on: February 18, 2014, 09:38:22 am »
Nintendo's issues of gimmicky and terribly underpowered non-handheld consoles with games that are staler than month old doughnuts that get a free pass solely because of nostalgia are still very much a thing.
You obviously haven't actually played on a DS or 3DS. Neither were/are "underpowered" for the gen.
You ever heard of this new-fangled thing we have these days? It's called "reading", you ought to give it a go sometime.
This kind of says it all. Instead of trying to refute any points that were raised (mine being underpowered main consoles, terrible controls (waggle controls are still very much a thing for the Wii-U) and most of all, the games are mediocre at best, yet get a free pass based solely on nostalgia. When was the last Mario game that had some actual creativity and originality put into it? Because there's been none of that in the recent parade of New Super Mario Bros we've had. In fact, when was the last time they made a new IP? How about a new IP that was an actual game (as in, not Wii Fit)? If you can't see the validity in such criticism, then you're in no position to accuse others of fanboyism.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 09:54:50 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4255 on: February 18, 2014, 09:46:54 am »
Gamespot gave the new Donkey Kong a 6 for being too hard.  Im convinced they are just review trolling at this point

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4256 on: February 18, 2014, 09:51:07 am »
Gamespot gave the new Donkey Kong a 6 for being too hard.  Im convinced they are just review trolling at this point
Speaking of which, I think Gameinformer is just hating Sonic games on principle these days.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4257 on: February 18, 2014, 10:11:46 am »
You ever heard of this new-fangled thing we have these days? It's called "reading", you ought to give it a go sometime.
This kind of says it all. Instead of trying to refute any points that were raised (mine being underpowered main consoles, terrible controls (waggle controls are still very much a thing for the Wii-U) and most of all, the games are mediocre at best, yet get a free pass based solely on nostalgia. When was the last Mario game that had some actual creativity and originality put into it? Because there's been none of that in the recent parade of New Super Mario Bros we've had. In fact, when was the last time they made a new IP? How about a new IP that was an actual game (as in, not Wii Fit)? If you can't see the validity in such criticism, then you're in no position to accuse others of fanboyism.

An ad hominem from Ian regarding Nintendo-bashing?  Well, fuck me sideways, something new!

Also, yeah, I'm bashing Nintendo, and I'm not even gonna beat around the bush about it.  As was pointed out in another thread earlier today, this is fucking FQA, not Daily Affirmations.  If I find someone or something doing something I find to be completely bloody moronic, I'm gonna bash the hell out of 'em.  Why?  Because I damn well want to, that's why.  You can like Nintendo, that's fine, I couldn't give two shits.  You can like Nintendo or Microsoft or Sony or the fucking GameDuck for all I care.  I will, however, find it hilarious that you feel compelled to defend poor widdle Nintendo from a couple of guys on the net...you do realize that, at best, you're nothing more than a wallet they're trying to please so they can get at the tasty money-candies inside, right?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4258 on: February 18, 2014, 11:07:08 am »
I hate Zero punctuation with nintendo tbh he needs to not bother reviewing them. 

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4259 on: February 18, 2014, 11:59:09 am »
I'm just sad that ZombiU currently has no plans to be ported to other consoles. That game had a good concept and atmosphere and could have been profitable, but it was made into a Wii U exclusive and they have no plans for a sequel because of the lack of money it made.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.