Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1513354 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #6495 on: May 03, 2016, 01:14:59 pm »
Yeah, I saw the trailer already. I have no idea how good the game will be but at least the trailer was epic. And I mean that it was like "a long poem, typically one derived from ancient oral tradition, narrating the deeds and adventures of heroic or legendary figures or the history of a nation" (although in the form of a video) rather than using epic to mean "AWSUME" or something.

Welp, if I manage to get a new computer by the time the game comes out I will certainly give it a try.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #6496 on: May 04, 2016, 08:15:56 am »
Talked my friend into picking up Skyrim and decided to start a new game as well.  I'm currently an orc warrior, and I'm trying to be a nice guy.  However, no matter what I do, I always seem to get a bounty in Riften.  That place just does not like me.  Then again, it could be from my stealing a couple books, borrowing a couple of horses, and committing one little murder.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #6497 on: May 04, 2016, 03:05:28 pm »
Dawn of War III seems to only have Marines, Orks and Eldar. Let me know when they add the Tau.
Who needs a signature?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6498 on: May 04, 2016, 04:49:01 pm »
I left click very good in Overwatch.

Ironbite-Bastion is so easy.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #6499 on: May 04, 2016, 05:21:53 pm »
Dawn of War III seems to only have Marines, Orks and Eldar. Let me know when they add the Tau.
Strange isn't it, putting three of the most popular armies in the game to start with.

Weirdo yanks and your weeaboo commie space cows.  ;)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6500 on: May 04, 2016, 05:29:22 pm »
Strange isn't it, putting three of the most popular armies in the game to start with.

I thought Warhammer 40k was British.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #6501 on: May 04, 2016, 05:45:51 pm »

Oh UP you are so thick aren't you?

The Tau were created to aim at weeaboo yanks. It worked. Doesn't change that they are commie space cows. (and i say that as someone who has always wanted to sort a Tau army some day, hell I've even got plenty of minis)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6502 on: May 04, 2016, 05:49:32 pm »

The Tau were created to aim at weeaboo yanks. It worked. Doesn't change that they are commie space cows. (and i say that as someone who has always wanted to sort a Tau army some day, hell I've even got plenty of minis)

Huh, didn't know that.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6503 on: May 04, 2016, 10:53:52 pm »
I just want my beloved Necrons and all there Robot Egyptian Terminator goodness. (Also cause the Monolith is the best fucking vehicle in the game besides the Baneblade)

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #6504 on: May 04, 2016, 11:08:51 pm »
In the tabletop, is Waveserpent spam still viable?
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #6505 on: May 05, 2016, 04:43:29 am »

First, I fully understand why its Marines, Orks and Eldar. I'm just a stubborn old space communist.

Anyway, you're really selling the Tau short here. The Tau are my favorite faction in 40k and it has actually practically nothing to do with their anime influence (I say "practically" because I love the Tau aesthetic). In a word, the Tau are best described as "contrast."

Their methods are the least brutal of all of the factions. They actually bother to make and keep allies and always try to convince a conquest to join the Empire peacefully before bringing the hammer down. It rarely amounts to more than asking, getting a "no," and following by pointing a big gun at you and asking again, but this is still the least aggressive faction in the setting.

Their tactics are based on real life military tactics. They focus little on close combat and heavily on synergy and ranged target priority. The idea is that, yes, running up to a Tau and punching them is the best way to deal with them, but good luck getting there.

They are heavily focused on practicality. Aside from Farsight, you're never going to see a Tau charge headlong into battle, swinging a sword around. Ethereals carry honor blades, but they do so more for ritual and ceremony than combat. They wear armor that reflects this focus on practicality, with only one shoulder pad over the side that faces the enemy while shooting. They mount dangerous field testing equipment on drones to prevent unnecessary casualties.

They understand that technology is the means to an end, not magic. They make extensive use of AI and they're constantly trying to advance their tech. It can be argued that not only is their technology on a higher level than the Imperium, they may possibly be on a higher level than the Eldar. There is no mysticism in how they use and create technology. Every technological wonder they create is a tool, created for the purpose of advancing the Tau Empire.

They are the only faction that's growing instead of stagnating or regressing. The Imperium isn't afraid of what the Tau are, they're afraid of what the Tau will become. If just about any faction were to make a concentrated effort, they could crush the Tau, but people often forget that the Tau were discovered by the Imperium around M.35. When they had only just discovered fire. In 6000 years, the Tau went from cave dwelling primitives to a galactic power with a rapidly growing empire. Where was humanity 6000 years after discovering fire?

The Tau were designed to contrast the rest of the setting and that makes them far more interesting. It's easy to dismiss them as an attempt to court anime fans into 40k or try to say that they're out of place in the setting. The only problem there is that being out of place is the entire point.

In the tabletop, is Waveserpent spam still viable?

Whether it is or isn't anymore, I couldn't tell you. What I can tell you, however, is that no one cares about Wave Serpents because Wraithhost broke the game and now we wish the worst things we had to deal with were Necron flyers, Grey Knight Paladins and Wave Serpents.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:46:25 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6506 on: May 05, 2016, 05:09:28 am »
Remember that the Tau have been known to enslave species and use horrible methods to make them join the empire. Like giving the mind control helmets to the Vespids.

Also, I like that the Ethereal control over the other castes is a lot more sinister than it seems to be, Farsight enclave started immediately changing culturally once they were cut off from the influence of the Ethereals, Tau prisoners of the Inquisition similarly change as they are freed from the Ethereal control. The Tau started to sterilize the humans who willingly joined them in one of the endings of Dawn of War campaign so that they could be replaced with Tau settlers. ...And once the de-facto leader of the species was killed they started faking holographic transmissions from him to stop the people from losing faith in the Tau Empire.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #6507 on: May 05, 2016, 04:39:42 pm »
Well, this is 40k we're talking about. It's simply the nature of the setting.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #6508 on: May 05, 2016, 06:34:56 pm »
Given it's 40k I wonder what a well thought out alien species is doing with fungus-Otks, space elves, Imperial Space Facists, ratmans, xenomorph knock-offs and the living death metal covers that make up Chaos.

I am disturbed by the distinct lack of cheese coming from the Tau, eveb if they are commie space cows.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #6509 on: May 05, 2016, 06:56:46 pm »
Like I said, that's almost the ebtire point of the Tau.
Who needs a signature?