Author Topic: Russia has given up pretences of having free speech  (Read 2611 times)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Russia has given up pretences of having free speech
« on: August 17, 2012, 09:04:47 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19297373#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19293465
Basically the TLDR version is the band Pussy Riot got convicted for saying a punk prayer denouncing Putin and that gay pride parades has been banned in Moscow for a century.  :(

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Russia has given up pretences of having free speech
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 10:12:35 am »
Although I think that their performance in the church should put them in legal troubles I am still shocked and disappointed at the recent developments in Russia.
During Putin's rule (wether as a prime minister or president) Russia has regressed when it comes to freedom of speech. The recent law against "pro-gay propaganda" and their rough treatment on political opposition are not a good sign.

I know that Russians have always liked strong and tough leaders, which is one reason why Putin is so popular but you would think that a strong leader could survive some criticism.

(Also, I know that this is a serious issue but seriously: Pussy Riot is a very punny name and the signs in the protest supporting them saying "Free Pussy Riot" are not helping.  I mean I know I have a dirty mind but come on.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 11:00:09 am »
Also just as important is where they will be sent let's hope not to Siberia

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 10:19:36 pm »
Pussy Riot is a very punny name

Does anyone speak the Ruskie? Can they confirm this?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 10:48:36 pm »
At least, they're being honest about it now. Will Russians ever get the concept of freedom??

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 11:45:27 pm »
While I will not defend the actions of the Russian government, nor condone the draconian sentence handed down, it is instructive to remember that freedom of speech/expression in the USA is is much broader than it is in most other countries, and has had much better legal protections.

Having said that, Putin is behaving exactly like the autocrat we in the West have always known him to be.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 11:50:24 pm »
I think Russia gave up any pretense of free speech last year when they made it a crime to spread "homosexual propaganda".

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 12:03:00 am »
@FXPQZ I know that even Turkey and Indonesia have more press freedom but what gets me about this is the apologists so many people in the west defend this guy

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 12:26:51 am »
@FXPQZ I know that even Turkey and Indonesia have more press freedom but what gets me about this is the apologists so many people in the west defend this guy

Fair enough.

Remember that Putin is about Putin; he cares about staying in power and maintaining his cult of personality and personal wealth and control.  Even the media that the Russian government doesn't own outright doesn't dare to portray him negatively.

From a purely Machiavellian standpoint, he's doing a great job.  In terms of improving life for the Russian people--eh, not so much.

--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 12:30:16 am »

Fair enough.

Remember that Putin is about Putin; he cares about staying in power and maintaining his cult of personality and personal wealth and control.  Even the media that the Russian government doesn't own outright doesn't dare to portray him negatively.

From a purely Machiavellian standpoint, he's doing a great job.  In terms of improving life for the Russian people--eh, not so much.
Don't forget his harem and girl's who act like nuns for him :D  Also odd thing about Russia Today during the Georgian invasion top story best Moscow bars

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 03:15:12 am »

Fair enough.

Don't forget his harem and girl's who act like nuns for him :D  Also odd thing about Russia Today during the Georgian invasion top story best Moscow bars

Because RT network is an organ of the Kremlin.

--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 04:25:30 am »
Pussy Riot is a very punny name

Does anyone speak the Ruskie? Can they confirm this?

I only have a beginner's eye, but yeah. That looks like a good translation.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 11:31:17 am »
Putin will fall, one day. It will happen. These autocrats ALWAYS FALL! I wont be surprised if one of his men poisons him or someone shoots him.

Putin's a weak little pansy. Macho guy always are.