Author Topic: Reasons to hate PETA  (Read 13301 times)

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
Re: Reasons to hate PETA
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 09:48:04 pm »
I only really need two reasons to hate PETA: Hypocrisy, and the complete denial of reality.

The first is rather obvious, such as how they kill the vast majority of animals they "save", or how many of their top people stay alive thanks to medicines developed through animal testing or that contain animal products. That they then have the gall to say "I need my life to fight for the animals" is rather sickening, when you consider they want to stop research that could be used to save countless other lives full of potential. They also seem to totally miss the fact that animal research also leads to new tools to better care for animals.

Of course, they don't actually care about the latter part too much. They don't want animals to be treated better, they want "total animal liberation". As in, their ultimate goal is for humans to have no interactions at all with other animals.

This is where "complete denial of reality" comes into play. The simple truth is, just like all the others, human beings are animals, and are part of the same ecosystems as all those other animals. In many places, humans hunting animals for food is the only thing that keeps the animal populations low enough that they don't eat themselves into the entire species starving. Domesticated animals like dogs, cattle, chicken, and turkey cannot survive without the aid of humans--they're no longer fit for a life that doesn't include us (though to be fair, cats and pigs would get along just fine).

The PETA Wonderland involves countless of species of animals simply all dropping dead. Because whether they admit it or not, humans are a large part of the ecosystem, and our activities are important to the lives of other species. We rely on them. They rely on us. That's just how the planet works. And trying to deny it is fucking stupid.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 09:56:09 pm »
As far as the Holocaust comparison, people who fled Nazi persecution have also made that connection. That's probably why I don't find it as offensive as many others do.

EDIT: In fairness I should make an important note that the mass slaughter of non-human animals is not based on animus toward a particular outgroup as was the case with Nazi Germany, but out of what is perceived to be human necessity. (I say perceived to be because not all human beings choose to live their lives as omnivores although some people cannot afford the luxury of choosing to be vegetarian or vegan. If I were in a Third World country during a famine I'd probaby be in survival mode, more or less.)

My problem with it is that while they made this campaign, they support BSL, which (ideologically speaking) is more comparable to the Holocaust than the chickens are.
BSL? To the Google Machine!

EDIT: Okay, so legislation targeting specific breeds. Yeah I never understood the notion of a "dangerous breed." Dogs such as pit bulls get a bad rap just because they're used as tools for fighting other dogs by irresponsible and sadistic owners. I took in an abandoned pit bull and it couldn't have been a sweeter dog. Yeah PETA is hypocritical, and that's enough to tick me off. Throw in a helping of sexist advertising and it sums up their group. (Hot idea, let's exploit one group to save another! Be a vegetarian because Pam Anderson's breasts are massive!) So that's my beef with the group. Well that and they make the animal rights movement look like a joke with their utter failure at constitutional law--which I'm sure was mentioned here at least in passing. I love animals and support animal rights. I think the way humans treat them is breathtakingly cruel, but there's no solution in the U.S. Constitution which plainly was meant for...well...Homo sapiens.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2012, 10:07:28 pm »
As far as the Holocaust comparison, people who fled Nazi persecution have also made that connection. That's probably why I don't find it as offensive as many others do.

EDIT: In fairness I should make an important note that the mass slaughter of non-human animals is not based on animus toward a particular outgroup as was the case with Nazi Germany, but out of what is perceived to be human necessity. (I say perceived to be because not all human beings choose to live their lives as omnivores although some people cannot afford the luxury of choosing to be vegetarian or vegan. If I were in a Third World country during a famine I'd probaby be in survival mode, more or less.)

My problem with it is that while they made this campaign, they support BSL, which (ideologically speaking) is more comparable to the Holocaust than the chickens are.
BSL? To the Google Machine!

Breed Specific Legislation.  It makes owning and breeding certain "aggressive" breeds, like pitbulls and the dog breeds lumped with pitbulls, illegal.  Some go so far as to confiscate already owned dogs, and euthanize them.  Unlike chickens, which are all used for eggs and meat, these laws only target and persecute specific breeds of dogs.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2012, 11:12:26 pm »
Duuuuuuude...if I ever get a dog, its going to be a big dog.  Likely a husky.  If some motherfucker comes in saying my dog's dangerous and tries to take em away to die, they're going to learn the hard way why man is the most dangerous animal in existence.  Dogs can't use weapons.

Unlike PETA, I don't kill animals.  I never will, and I find it reprehensible unless the animal in question simply has no chance of living a decent life due to medical conditions which already hamper its life expectancy.

However, I will fight for my pets.  To the death, if need be.  They're closer to me than most humans are, and I do both view and treat them like they were my own kids.  PETA don't like that, they can go back to the asscrack they fell out of, and keep their attention-whoring, money-grubbing, terrorist-funding hands away from me, my pets, and my loved ones.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 11:16:04 pm by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2012, 12:06:11 am »
I have 95 good reasons to hate PETA
"Washington, DC — Today the nonprofit Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) published documents online, obtained by a Freedom of Information Act request, showing that People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) killed a staggering 95.9 percent of the adoptable pets in its care during 2011. "

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

Why?
A really fucked up notion of 'Better dead than in chains.'

I can guarantee the six animals my wife and I have adopted over the years would strongly disagree with them because if what they have is slavery, they are pretty damn cool with it.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2012, 03:11:15 am »
How is it slavery when they literally have to do nothing and get free food and toys out of it?

Does this mean I was a slave until I moved out of my parent's house?

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2012, 11:20:48 am »
How is it slavery when they literally have to do nothing and get free food and toys out of it?

Because somehow going out and surviving on your own is freedom to PETA. Ya know, I'll consider it slavery if my dog decides to run away and I leash him down. But since he keeps coming back and loves to sleep on the bed, I believe he does such willingly
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2012, 01:11:15 pm »

Because somehow going out and surviving on your own is freedom to PETA. Ya know, I'll consider it slavery if my dog decides to run away and I leash him down. But since he keeps coming back and loves to sleep on the bed, I believe he does such willingly
Problem for PETA: Not all dogs can survive in the wild. Especially those that have been pets. It would be far more cruel to release a dog into the wild that is used to being served meals rather than fend for itself. If I let my slave terrier go, it'd be mauled by coydogs in a matter of minutes.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2012, 02:03:04 pm »

Problem for PETA: Not all dogs can survive in the wild. Especially those that have been pets. It would be far more cruel to release a dog into the wild that is used to being served meals rather than fend for itself. If I let my slave terrier go, it'd be mauled by coydogs in a matter of minutes.
Was it PETA or some other group that supported killing off those domesticated species that would not survive in the wild?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2012, 02:47:36 pm »

Was it PETA or some other group that supported killing off those domesticated species that would not survive in the wild?

No clue, but it's stupid either way. Every species of animal relies on other species of animals to survive, lots of times in ways people don't realize. For instance, the humble dung beetle helps break down the droppings of large herbivores, which fertilizes the grasses those same herbivores feed on later. No one stops and thinks "zomg, the wild buffalo can't survive with dung beetles", but they, in fact, cannot survive without them.

It's not a bad thing that some animals have adapted to thrive in humanity's presence. It's the natural order of things. Just like the earliest mammals evolved to be small and quick to escape the notice of large predatory dinosaurs, modern animals have to adapt to the major players in their environment.

Certainly, from an ethical standpoint, we could still make a lot of progress in how we treat animals. Only a twisted mind could sit there and say "You know what? Fuck the cows. Let's treat them as shitty as possible before killing them in incredibly painful ways". There's a lot of genuine progress to be made. But the worst thing about PETA and the other organizations that PETA supports is that they turn the idea of animal welfare into a joke, something normal people find hard to take seriously.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2012, 02:54:31 pm »
Some PETA vegans have made the argument we should switch animals to a vegan diet too. And then wonders why animals dies when you try.  ::)

But more offensive is the thought that PETA is more than willing to take away valuable food source from people who already have a hard time trying to find food. Even to the extent where they believe providing people diary cows is "evil". Fuck that shit.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2012, 03:22:16 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRSLQu-d6ZQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRSLQu-d6ZQ</a>

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2012, 04:14:44 pm »

Pretty sure it was PETA.  Their view is, even though animals like domestic cows and sheep will die out, it's still our fault because we made them that way.  The organization seems to run on "human guilt."  Like I said before, Newkirk sees humanity as a cancer, and had herself sterilized in her 20's.

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2012, 05:02:13 pm »

Nor can all cats. With one exception, the cats that live with me (contrary to PETA's propaganda, I belong to them, not the other way round) wouldn't be able to survive on their own. In fact, one of them fell out the window today- a noise startled him and he jumped into the screen and knocked it out- and he just stood looking around, and when I went outside, he came right to me. They're not stupid- all of them have had chances to "escape" and they don't want it. They like it here. PETA's just stupid.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2012, 05:57:18 pm »

Nor can all cats. With one exception, the cats that live with me (contrary to PETA's propaganda, I belong to them, not the other way round) wouldn't be able to survive on their own. In fact, one of them fell out the window today- a noise startled him and he jumped into the screen and knocked it out- and he just stood looking around, and when I went outside, he came right to me. They're not stupid- all of them have had chances to "escape" and they don't want it. They like it here. PETA's just stupid.

PETA would probably try to compare that to Stockholm Syndrome.