Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2066673 times)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #3045 on: January 11, 2013, 12:04:20 pm »
When you have great reading comprehension in a language, and you can speak just fine. But as soon as you hear another person speak in said language, it's...you have no freakin clue what just happened

My listening comprehension for russian sucks balls

Listening is always difficult because native speakers are going to talk fast, supposedly. Native English speakers probably sound fast to those who speak a different language.

Immersion takes a while.

I'm reminded of when we went to Baja Mexico when I was a kid.  I was learning spanish at the time... so you've got a 13 year old kid translating for the entire family.  All five branches of it that went with you.  27 people, and I was the only one that spoke spanish fluently.  On the upside, when I ordered for the entire crew at a restaurant, and apologized for being the only decent speaker of the group, the manager actually said not to worry about it, that I spoke it well, and in thanks for making his staff's job easier, he was giving us a 10% discount on our entire meal.  When I explained to the family? "So what'd he say?" "We're getting a 10% discount because I'm the only one that can speak spanish around here.  You're welcome.  I'm getting a virgin strawberry daquiri."
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #3046 on: January 11, 2013, 06:35:35 pm »
That paranoia you get when somebody breaks a glass or something and you never feel safe.

My mom dropped a plate on the floor yesterday, and even though I vacuumed very thoroughly, I'm still not secure enough to walk through the kitchen with bare feet. I just know there's a tiny shard somewhere with my name on it. Waiting to cut my foot up like it owes the Mexican drug cartel money.
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3047 on: January 11, 2013, 06:44:40 pm »
Forgive me if you've said this before, but why are you at the Hospital, Rav?  You okay?

Aye, I'm cool.  My mom works at UAMS, so its mostly just for convenience that I stay there, considering I'm stuck there in town til 11pm (when her shift ends), its better than staying at a friend's place.  Also, good net and good food!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3048 on: January 11, 2013, 08:34:57 pm »
...good food at a hospital are you joking.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #3049 on: January 11, 2013, 09:34:51 pm »
Actually, the hospital near my parents is run by Mormons and for some reason that meant their food was really, really good. It made getting over a kidney stone much better, knowing I'd get decent food as soon as I was able to keep it down.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3050 on: January 11, 2013, 09:44:33 pm »
Yeah see the food they tried to give me here was blegh. Most of my meals my dad brought in.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3051 on: January 11, 2013, 10:22:23 pm »
...good food at a hospital are you joking.

Not at all.  The cafeteria makes some good shit.  They even sell sushi.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3052 on: January 12, 2013, 12:07:01 am »
Blegh. The hospital where I was has gone down-hill. The civvie one, anyways. Base hospital's pretty nice. 'cept the new guy said 'HEALTH FOOD NOW!' and we lost our cheeseburgers.

&

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3053 on: January 12, 2013, 02:33:03 am »
Dude, the shit the UAMS cafeteria sells isn't exactly health food...double bacon cheeseburgers, nacho heaps half the size of your head, energy drinks, the list goes on.  And that's just the fucking cafeteria, they've got at least 3 other places to get food and drink.  Though, the pizza at the lobby cafe is rubbish, but that's because they use that god damned cracker crust bullshit.

Speakin of, cracker crust (or thin-crust) pizza pisses me the fuck off.  Sure, it might be "authentic," but I really don't give a shit.  If I wanted a bloody giant cracker, I'd order a damn giant-ass cracker!  I'm not sayin the crust has to be the size of a bear cub, but its gotta be fuckin substantial, ya know?  Get some VOLUME on that bitch!  It also doesn't help that cracker crust seems to get stuck in my throat far more often than regular crust does, which is a right whore, because I end up choking painfully for a few seconds until I can get a drink.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #3054 on: January 12, 2013, 03:34:00 am »
Reminds me of the time we went to St. Joseph's Hospital in Atlanta for some tests that needed to be run on my mama.  Their cafe had a wide variety of food... but unfortunately, the sub sandwich I chose had Miracle Whip instead of Mayo...  I ate it anyway as I was hungry as hell.  It took most of the bloody day to find the place.

Never was a fan of Miracle Whip...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:39:15 am by SpaceProg »

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3055 on: January 12, 2013, 04:33:27 am »
Reminds me of the time we went to St. Joseph's Hospital in Atlanta for some tests that needed to be run on my mama.  Their cafe had a wide variety of food... but unfortunately, the sub sandwich I chose had Miracle Whip instead of Mayo...  I ate it anyway as I was hungry as hell.  It took most of the bloody day to find the place.

Never was a fan of Miracle Whip...

I was at MCG.

And yeah. I miss my cheeseburgers at the base hospital. Fucking health nuts.

&

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3056 on: January 12, 2013, 05:51:05 am »
Health nuts in general piss me off. They never seem able to just keep it to themselves.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #3057 on: January 12, 2013, 09:42:12 am »
Being at the pub with one of my best friends and this group of 14 year old girls sits at the table next to us and starts screaming their heads at such a level that it bores straight through your skull.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Jebediah

• Official FSTDT Welcome Committee Head
  • The Beast
  • Winner.
« Reply #3058 on: January 12, 2013, 09:55:57 am »
We are constantly getting new neighbors in the house next to mine. Before the new people move in they always have people come and fix up the house. And then we have days and days of constant hammering and sawing. Here we go again.
Everybody's doin' the fish.

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #3059 on: January 12, 2013, 11:01:11 am »
Is it a rental next door?