Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2065330 times)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #4545 on: July 29, 2013, 04:32:51 pm »
I guess because the human jaw is getting smaller and can't accommodate so many teeth.  We do have quite a lot of teeth (relative to jaw size) compared to most mammals... except the Opossum.  Them critters got gator mouths.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:34:45 pm by SpaceProg »

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #4546 on: July 29, 2013, 04:33:48 pm »

wrightway

« Reply #4547 on: July 29, 2013, 04:37:47 pm »
I guess because the human jaw is getting smaller and can't accommodate so many teeth.  We do have quite a lot of teeth (relative to jaw size) compared to most mammals... except the Opossum.  Them critters got gator mouths.

I always thought it had something to do with modern dental care. Wisdom teeth move forward if another tooth is lost. We don't lose as many teeth.

Offline maanantai

• Likes to Move It Move It
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4548 on: July 29, 2013, 04:43:55 pm »
I'm personally blaming the wisdomteeth for making my front teeth more slanted and overlapping. Which made my overbite worse which is really somehow doing damage to the enamel. :(

On a bright side: Your conversation on subject reminded me to book an appointment for dentist. And it is kind of a big deal. First time ever that I do that without being in pain to begin with. Either I've been in terrible pain or it has been hubs doing the scheduling and booking. I feel like a grownup here :D

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #4549 on: July 29, 2013, 04:45:57 pm »

That's true, but I guess what I meant is "Why are our jaws getting smaller?" I wonder if this is still even happening, because I find it hard to believe that having our jaws shrink some more will actually contribute to our reproductive success now that we have modern medicine and dental care.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #4550 on: July 29, 2013, 04:48:38 pm »
I'm not sure.  Maybe it's just a "you don't use it, you lose it" kind of thing.  We don't need huge jaws to tear tough hide and meat off bones anymore for instance.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #4551 on: July 29, 2013, 04:56:13 pm »
I'm not sure.  Maybe it's just a "you don't use it, you lose it" kind of thing.  We don't need huge jaws to tear tough hide and meat off bones anymore for instance.

Could be. The body invests significant energy to develop structures, and if those structures aren't actually being used, or they're too developed for our needs, then that energy is being wasted, and this can indeed be detrimental. But these changes still have to positively affect reproduction, otherwise there's no reason for jaws to get smaller down the generations. But whatever, my entire argument is based on ignorance anyway. there could very well be a genetic explanation that I'm unaware of.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #4552 on: July 29, 2013, 04:58:41 pm »
Yep.  I'm not an anthropologist.  I'm pretty much a Jack of all critters, master of none.  Hehe.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #4553 on: July 29, 2013, 08:39:17 pm »
As I recall, it's hypothesized that smaller jaws are related to increased brain size in humans, as larger jaw muscles discourage brain growth due to the way they connect to the skull.

Edit: Here's an interesting study on the potential relation between agriculture and smaller jaws: http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2011/11/15/1113050108

TLDR: Softer food diets might be resulting in humans developing smaller jaws. This would be an environmental factor rather than a genetic one.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:46:41 pm by Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #4554 on: July 29, 2013, 09:20:49 pm »
Interesting article. Still reading it, but thanks for posting it!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4555 on: July 29, 2013, 10:18:18 pm »
My teeth need a lot of work. Among other issues, my canines are legit fangs. I could probably easily convince an impressionable emo chick that I'm a vampire.

What they DON'T tell you about fangs is that you tend to accidentally bite the inside of your mouth a lot.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:43:02 pm by chitoryu12 »
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

wrightway

« Reply #4556 on: July 29, 2013, 10:24:52 pm »
My teeth need a lot of work. Among other issues, my canines are legit fangs. I could probably easily convince and impressionable emo chick that I'm a vampire.

What they DON'T tell you about fangs is that you tend to accidentally bite the inside of your mouth a lot.

Quoted for truth.

Offline Mira

• Literally Worse Than Hitler
  • Pope
  • Cisphobic reverse racist
    • Houserule Gaming
« Reply #4557 on: July 29, 2013, 10:25:19 pm »
I used to have sharp canines. Then my orthodontist dulled them down. He didn't even tell me he was going to do that.

I kinda miss them.
I’ve grown overfed, unconcerned and comfortably numb
Kept busy indulging in the pleasures of the wealthy
Oh, someone make me afraid of what I’ve become!

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #4558 on: July 29, 2013, 11:04:00 pm »
I used to have sharp canines. Then my orthodontist dulled them down. He didn't even tell me he was going to do that.

I kinda miss them.

You had a crappy orthodontist then. Seriously, doing things to patients without informing them or getting their consent makes you a jackass.

Offline Mira

• Literally Worse Than Hitler
  • Pope
  • Cisphobic reverse racist
    • Houserule Gaming
« Reply #4559 on: July 29, 2013, 11:06:50 pm »
Yeah, I don't know what was up with that. Not a big enough deal for me to care, but that does seem like the sort of thing you should ask.
I’ve grown overfed, unconcerned and comfortably numb
Kept busy indulging in the pleasures of the wealthy
Oh, someone make me afraid of what I’ve become!