Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2067875 times)

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #6945 on: March 02, 2014, 02:31:58 am »
If I ever write a show, I will keep one or two canon ships subtle and the chemistry between them developing with their characters. None of this "guy is attracted to girl, girl doesn't know this and is fuck-all with his feelings" shit that is plaguing most shows these days, reinforcing this "friend-zoned" trope. One thing that I want to stab repeatedly and see what oozes from its wounds, I hate it so much.

And if that's too hard or the whole "Will They or Won't They" romance arc (which will be resolved all happily ever after and shit like that) turns them off, just do away with romance arcs as a whole and just allow fans to ship one character with another; and there would also be the same antagonism and flame wars involving a popular ship and rival ship, like what you see in the Sonic the Hedgehog and Pokémon fandoms. Yay...

God damn it, why do people have to be so serious with something that is often perceived as "adorable" by their followers and shippers? And why does this happen in all works and there is no lines drawn between a work where these emotions are accepted and some other work that just doesn't leave anything to the imagination? I'm done.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6946 on: March 02, 2014, 03:03:05 am »
Better yet, a cartoon where instead of having constant unrequited love or "Will They Or Won't They" teasing, one where two major characters are in a canonical romantic relationship for the entirety of the show.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6947 on: March 02, 2014, 03:37:10 am »
That whole "Will they or won't they" teasing is a very important trope for romantic stories and can be done well. It is important to do the buildup well in order to have the eventual climax (pun intended) of that story to be more meaningful. In fact, for the average writer doing the "Will they or won't they" bit seems to be much easier than making the eventual relationship stay interesting. After the relationship upgrade most stories have to change the main focus of the story to something else to have any drama.

But that is no excuse for dangling that romance in front of the viewers/readers for ages just because the writer doesn't know what to do afterwards. So basically I agree that the "will they or won't they" trope can be frustrating if done poorly or for too long but it there is a reason for its existence and it is not necessarily bad. I also do agree that a romantic relationship does offer potential for a story (wether it is the main attraction or just a minor sidestory) but I guess that most writers seem to think that it would be too boring or just don't think they could do it well enough.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6948 on: March 04, 2014, 07:21:22 pm »
I think the rightmost USB port on my laptop is having connectivity issues.  Shifting my laptop can cause my trackball to go offline, to my great annoyance.  I don't wanna have to connect it to one of the leftmost slots...I have a thing against cords going around the rear of my machines when it can be otherwise avoided, because I'm freaking anal.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #6949 on: March 04, 2014, 07:39:44 pm »
I only have a cell phone charger cord that is old, worn, and have connection issues.  I have to place my cell phone down just right in order for my cell phone to charge otherwise it will not charge at all and die.  I'm waiting on a new cord to arrive in the mail.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #6950 on: March 06, 2014, 09:51:33 pm »
Chrome seems to be having problems restoring windows and tabs lately.  When chrome is opened after closing, some tabs will be missing, and the latest restarting failed to restore an entire window.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #6951 on: March 07, 2014, 07:10:35 am »
The smh acronym. Its stupid.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6952 on: March 07, 2014, 07:25:45 am »
Game Grumps. I know, they've always been rather low brow, even by Let's Play standards. But the gameplay wasn't outright terrible and there were a few genuinely witty jokes here and there. Recently though, it's devolved into inexcusably awful gameplay and the actually funny jokes and anecdotes have been largely replaced with yelling. It's like they're turning to a couple of PewDiePie clones.

Also, Youtube is now really starting to grind on my nerves. The last change seemed rather innocuous at a glance, but by god did it absolutely assfuck the interface. Trying to find a single video or channel among your subscriptions that's not in your feed at the moment is an utter clusterfuck compared to how it used to be. That list of subsciptions in that toolbar to the left of the screen? Well, the search bar is gone entirely, meaning you now have to manually scroll through it to find an individual channel. Want to see a channel's list of videos? Used to be you could just click the "videos" tab and the list would be right there. Now? Nope, the default page is a bunch of worthless shite, and you can only access the actual videos thought a separate drop down menu. Just, what the fuck are they thinking? Do they not realise that the fundamental rule of web design is to not make everything needlessly convoluted? I swear, that last update at least doubled the amount of clicks you need to do to accomplish pretty much anything on that site. Just... Why? Then there's the whole Google+ bullshit on top of that, which just randomly logs me out every few days for no reason, so every now and again when I try to leave a comment, I get a giant fuck-off pop-up telling me I need to sign in. If you really must merge the two, fine, but at least have the decency to merge them properly. Don't tie functionality for one site to another, completely different site, and then not have the common sense to properly sync up your user accounts on both.

Google are just a bunch of fucking assholes. As much as I'd love to invoke Hanlon's Razor, it's simply impossible that an internet behemoth like Google is so ignorant of even the most basic concepts of web design. This is why no company should ever be allowed to gain a monopoly of any sort.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:45:03 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #6953 on: March 07, 2014, 10:13:08 am »
I think Facebook's suggestion system is even more broken than I thought. I clicked a link posted by an LGBT rights page and in the suggestions underneath it there was a link from what I'm pretty sure was a white supremacist page (something called "the white voice" or some shit, I didn't click it because I don't want any more of that shit suggested to me). What. How does that even...?

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #6954 on: March 07, 2014, 01:46:22 pm »
Whenever I log out of my Google account, I get a creepy message that says " One account. All of Google. "

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #6955 on: March 07, 2014, 03:05:32 pm »
Whenever I log out of my Google account, I get a creepy message that says " One account. All of Google. "

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING.

I think that message is doubleplusgood.

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #6956 on: March 07, 2014, 09:42:49 pm »
My sister said I have to like the sound of screaming babies or else I'm a hypocrite, because I was once a baby. DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE TO YOU?

Context: I was eating dinner and my mom and sister were watching some show. An infant started screaming and I covered my ears. Then my sister flipped out at me.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6957 on: March 07, 2014, 09:50:16 pm »
My sister said I have to like the sound of screaming babies or else I'm a hypocrite, because I was once a baby. DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE TO YOU?

Context: I was eating dinner and my mom and sister were watching some show. An infant started screaming and I covered my ears. Then my sister flipped out at me.

"You once peed on people. Therefore, allow others to pee on you."
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #6958 on: March 07, 2014, 09:58:32 pm »

"You once peed on people. Therefore, allow others to pee on you."
Indeed. Is she gonna chide people who find vacuum cleaners annoying, because they've once used one themselves? I don't think she's that stupid... is she??

She also said "It's a fact of life; you shouldn't complain." where complaining = covering my ears. People getting murdered is a "fact of life." Should I just smile and not react to that? Entire towns get wiped away by hurricanes. Should I just say that people losing their homes or worse is beautiful?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:01:13 pm by Solar Pendra »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6959 on: March 08, 2014, 09:48:15 am »
The shortest, best response: If you forced it out of your snatch, its your responsibility to keep it in line and happy.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.