Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2067939 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #7515 on: June 27, 2014, 01:13:20 am »
Why the hell did Chrome ever take away the 'set as desktop wallpaper' option?  And furthermore, why the hell has only one person ever made an extension that puts it in?  Nevermind that that one extension hasn't been in the Web Store for forever and has seemed to have recently stopped working altogether (I downloaded it before it got removed).  And I can't find any userscripts that add it.

It's just really tedious having to save the image, open up Pictures, find the image, set it as the wallpaper, then open up Control Panel because Vista is a piece of shit that won't let me set 'Stretch' as the default wallpaper setting.

Well, you shouldn't need to open Pictures and find the image. Chrome downloads pop up at the bottom of the window and let you open them up right there.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7516 on: June 27, 2014, 03:11:05 pm »
I literally have a headache from trying to work out how damage from convection (from lava) will work in my game.  I've gotten what appears to be a reasonable, in game terms (that is to say likely not realistic in the slightest), formula for how far the heat can spread thru air and how it interacts with solid barriers (the spread is halved for each meter of solid barrier between the lava and the next available air block), but I'm having a bitch of a time figuring out how to say, in mathematical terms, "you'll take X damage per second per meter away from the lava you're near, depending on how hot the lava is and how far its heat can spread."  Breaking things down to numbers is fun, but it can be a bear, lemme tell ya.

D&D generally uses 1d6 damage if you're in close proximity to lava, and 20d6 if you're actually in it. A good idea might be to increase the type of die used depending on distance (use 1d12 if you're within 5 feet, 1d4 if you're on the other side of the room, etc.)

I'm not using dice, though.  Its not like a tabletop game I'm doing, but one of them thar evil vidya games.  Besides, "feet?"  I'll have you know my game uses metric units!  Mostly because, when I go into doing the minimap, I want there to be distance displayed between you and your waypoints, in the best units for the job.  So, if you're more than 1,000 meters away, it'll display using kilometers instead.  Doing that with feet, yards, miles, and all that other garbage would be yet another bleedin mathematical headache.  Not ragging on ya, of course, just mildly irritated how most games seem to default to Imperial units.

Also, the Imperial system itself bugs the fuck out of me.  It is, as far as I've been able to learn, a load of arbitrary, retarded bullshit.  The conversions between different units, in the same system, are so completely ass-backwards that its a miracle we were able to measure anything before the metric system became the accepted standard.  Metric goes in simple orders of magnitude and is based off something easily quantifiable and measurable: water.  1 cubic meter of water is equal, in volume, to 1 kiloliter.  One liter of water weighs (more or less) one kilogram.  Water freezes at 0C and boils at 100C.  Simple, clean, efficient, and easy to understand.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:16:23 pm by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #7517 on: June 27, 2014, 04:07:44 pm »
I'm having a bitch of a time figuring out how to say, in mathematical terms, "you'll take X damage per second per meter away from the lava you're near, depending on how hot the lava is and how far its heat can spread."  Breaking things down to numbers is fun, but it can be a bear, lemme tell ya.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do, but in general, problems that are easy to write a computer solver for are incredibly difficult to write down in a formal equation. Just accept that you'll be dealing with some margin of error, run a few simulations to get a feel of what's going on, and don't worry about the high-level math.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #7518 on: June 27, 2014, 07:07:04 pm »
When people try to justify using words incorrectly "language is fluid and constantly changing lol".

Also, people (particularly SJWs) whose blogs are super flowery and "pretty" while having descriptions like "unrepentant asshole" or "I'm an asshole, sorry (not sorry)".  It just comes off as "~tee hee~ Isn't my assholeishness and anger so cute and adorable?".

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7519 on: June 27, 2014, 07:22:19 pm »
University residence folks: "We're going to steam-clean your bedroom, while you're still living there."

Even with twelve days' notice... wow.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #7520 on: June 28, 2014, 06:47:25 am »
Tried to wax my eyebrows. Underestimated the sensitivity of my own skin. End result is scabbing around my brows. Fuck my life.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7521 on: June 28, 2014, 10:20:46 am »
I'm having a bitch of a time figuring out how to say, in mathematical terms, "you'll take X damage per second per meter away from the lava you're near, depending on how hot the lava is and how far its heat can spread."  Breaking things down to numbers is fun, but it can be a bear, lemme tell ya.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do, but in general, problems that are easy to write a computer solver for are incredibly difficult to write down in a formal equation. Just accept that you'll be dealing with some margin of error, run a few simulations to get a feel of what's going on, and don't worry about the high-level math.

The thing is, its much easier for me to understand if I can express it mathematically.  I get a simple formula, then I can write it in code, hammer out any potential issues, and so on.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #7522 on: June 28, 2014, 10:29:04 am »
I literally have a headache from trying to work out how damage from convection (from lava) will work in my game.  I've gotten what appears to be a reasonable, in game terms (that is to say likely not realistic in the slightest), formula for how far the heat can spread thru air and how it interacts with solid barriers (the spread is halved for each meter of solid barrier between the lava and the next available air block), but I'm having a bitch of a time figuring out how to say, in mathematical terms, "you'll take X damage per second per meter away from the lava you're near, depending on how hot the lava is and how far its heat can spread."  Breaking things down to numbers is fun, but it can be a bear, lemme tell ya.

D&D generally uses 1d6 damage if you're in close proximity to lava, and 20d6 if you're actually in it. A good idea might be to increase the type of die used depending on distance (use 1d12 if you're within 5 feet, 1d4 if you're on the other side of the room, etc.)

I'm not using dice, though.  Its not like a tabletop game I'm doing, but one of them thar evil vidya games.  Besides, "feet?"  I'll have you know my game uses metric units!  Mostly because, when I go into doing the minimap, I want there to be distance displayed between you and your waypoints, in the best units for the job.  So, if you're more than 1,000 meters away, it'll display using kilometers instead.  Doing that with feet, yards, miles, and all that other garbage would be yet another bleedin mathematical headache.  Not ragging on ya, of course, just mildly irritated how most games seem to default to Imperial units.

Also, the Imperial system itself bugs the fuck out of me.  It is, as far as I've been able to learn, a load of arbitrary, retarded bullshit.  The conversions between different units, in the same system, are so completely ass-backwards that its a miracle we were able to measure anything before the metric system became the accepted standard.  Metric goes in simple orders of magnitude and is based off something easily quantifiable and measurable: water.  1 cubic meter of water is equal, in volume, to 1 kiloliter.  One liter of water weighs (more or less) one kilogram.  Water freezes at 0C and boils at 100C.  Simple, clean, efficient, and easy to understand.

Granted, and I also think it would be a good idea to just switch over to metric despite being raised with imperial. D&D uses imperial measurements, though, so that's what I went with.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7523 on: June 28, 2014, 11:48:59 am »
Tried to wax my eyebrows. Underestimated the sensitivity of my own skin. End result is scabbing around my brows. Fuck my life.

This is entirely your fault and I laugh at you.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #7524 on: June 28, 2014, 12:03:44 pm »
 :(

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #7525 on: June 28, 2014, 12:38:41 pm »

The thing is, its much easier for me to understand if I can express it mathematically.  I get a simple formula, then I can write it in code, hammer out any potential issues, and so on.

Fair enough. Just be prepared for a really hairy formal equation (My guess is that it will be a second-order partial differential equation and the barriers the lava interacts with will be boundary conditions).
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7526 on: June 28, 2014, 01:50:08 pm »
Fair enough. Just be prepared for a really hairy formal equation (My guess is that it will be a second-order partial differential equation and the barriers the lava interacts with will be boundary conditions).

You're making it far more difficult than it will be.  Its a regular old inverse relationship between the distance from the lava (as well as the lava's temperature) and the amount of damage taken per second.  The "half for each solid block between you and the lava" could be handled by a simple conditional and foreach loop.

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #7527 on: June 28, 2014, 02:54:10 pm »
High five for understanding how convection works, at least.

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7528 on: June 28, 2014, 03:22:44 pm »
Convection is cool!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7529 on: June 28, 2014, 05:50:35 pm »

You're making it far more difficult than it will be.  Its a regular old inverse relationship between the distance from the lava (as well as the lava's temperature) and the amount of damage taken per second.  The "half for each solid block between you and the lava" could be handled by a simple conditional and foreach loop.

You got me interested, so I started playing around with a toy model (doesn't incorporate solid blocks yet)

http://imgur.com/a/IEx8e

Red blocks are lava, color at each block represents temperature going from red (lava) to white (ambient). Temperature at each point is temperature of lava block times some coefficient, divided by distance to lava block squared, summed over all lava blocks.

(ETA: I originally said "divided by distance to lava block", should be distance squared.)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:33:36 pm by Sigmaleph »
Σא