Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2067530 times)

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #8175 on: October 25, 2014, 05:21:11 pm »
You know, it's nice that tumblr finally updated their video player and all, but it didn't actually fix the biggest problem I had with their player: the video playing faster than it can buffer.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #8176 on: October 25, 2014, 05:34:12 pm »
Being told to "wear something nice" to a "college event" you're going to (that takes place a five-hour ride from where you live (which you weren't told)), and dressing in a button-down shirt, a pair of slacks, and dress shoes, only to find out they meant "don't dress like a slob/slut," everyone else wearing jeans, and the "college event"being a goddamned football game.

American football, or actual football?

Also, you were still the classiest motherfucker there.  That's gotta count for somethin.

American. And you have a point.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #8177 on: October 26, 2014, 01:53:56 am »
Being told to "wear something nice" to a "college event" you're going to (that takes place a five-hour ride from where you live (which you weren't told)), and dressing in a button-down shirt, a pair of slacks, and dress shoes, only to find out they meant "don't dress like a slob/slut," everyone else wearing jeans, and the "college event"being a goddamned football game.

Also, you were still the classiest motherfucker there.  That's gotta count for somethin.

You can't have proper class until you don a fedora. Pay attention.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #8178 on: October 26, 2014, 02:45:33 am »

Better yet, several. Take this classy gentleman for example:
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #8179 on: October 26, 2014, 03:03:42 am »

It's a trilby you fucking unenlightened sheep.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #8180 on: October 26, 2014, 03:27:57 am »
I'm a pretty big fan of Tavis Smiley, and I truly enjoy listening to his radio show.  This week, he had Senator Rand Paul on, which was interesting, because Smiley is quite openly a liberal.  They talked about racial issues, and Paul not only didn't say anything horrible, he admitted that there is a problem with race, as well as class, in the United States (which is a big deal for a Republican).

He also commented that the Bill of Rights is probably more important to minorities than majorities, because in a democracy, majorities generally have the ability to protect their own rights, while minorities can sometimes be at the mercy of the majority.  I agree with that sentiment, but, when making the point, he listed racial minorities and evangelical Christians as holders of minority opinions who are particularly likely to need protection.

That's right, according to Senator Paul, evangelical Christians, also known as the largest religious category in the United States, apparently face a degree of oppression comparable to that suffered by racial minorities.  I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but nearly 80% of Americans are Christians.  More than half of Americans are Protestant, and more than half of American Protestants are evangelical.  Yes, at 26.3%, they're not a majority, but given that they are the plurality, the cannot be considered a minority in a socio-political sense.  For fuck's sake, if my math is right, there are 12.6 million more evangelicals than there are nonwhite people in the United States.  That's basically the population of Pennsylvania, the 6th largest state in the country.

Not only that, evangelicals have a tendency to try to codify their beliefs into law, so that everyone must follow them.  Evangelicals have, and absolutely deserve, the protections provided by the Bill of Rights,  but let's be real:  the Bill of Rights is much more necessary to protect people from evangelicals than it is to protect evangelicals themselves. [/rant]

The thing is, I'm not annoyed that the Senator said that.  I think it's a dumb thing to say, but he's entitled to his opinion.  Whatever.  I'm annoyed by the fact that Smiley didn't call him on it.  How can you let that go?  He's entitled to his opinion, but if he says something stupid to a very smart journalist in a public forum, shouldn't he be asked to defend it?
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8181 on: October 27, 2014, 02:09:10 am »
Good Let's Player:

Doesn't talk over cutscenes when there's no subtitles available.  Turns subtitles on when talking over cutscenes.

Better Let's Player:

Doesn't talk over cutscenes, period.

Bad Let's Player: YAK YAK YAK BLA BLA BLA YADDA YADDA YADDA while a cutscene is occuring with no subtitles so that you can't distinguish words.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #8182 on: October 27, 2014, 02:36:06 am »
Good Let's Player:

Doesn't talk over cutscenes when there's no subtitles available.  Turns subtitles on when talking over cutscenes.

Better Let's Player:

Bad Let's Player: YAK YAK YAK BLA BLA BLA YADDA YADDA YADDA while a cutscene is occuring with no subtitles so that you can't distinguish words.
Worse let's players: SCREAMS DICK AND BOOB JOKES INTO THE MIC NONSTOP!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8183 on: October 27, 2014, 02:45:47 am »
Good Let's Player:

Better Let's Player:

Even worse let's players: Talks over cutscenes and the tutorial without paying attention to them and later is angry at the game for "not explaining what to do or how the skills/abilities work."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8184 on: October 27, 2014, 02:46:43 am »
Good Let's Player:

Better Let's Player:

Even worse let's players: Talks over cutscenes and the tutorial without paying attention to them and later is angry at the game for "not explaining what to do or how the skills/abilities work."

OH GOD YES.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8185 on: October 27, 2014, 03:19:51 am »
Good Let's Player:

Better Let's Player:

OH GOD YES.

Driving around in a car, there is a huge arrow on the screen pointing towards the start of the next mission, the minimap also shows a route to the mission starting point. "WHERE THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO GO?! LOL! Stupid *KSHH from a bad mic*ing game doesn't even tell me what I'm supposed to do. (Said immediately after the cutscene where the player was told where to go next.)

In other news: I am sad.

There was a bad car crash in Finland. A woman had a head on collision with a bus. She had her three kids in the car with her and they all died in the crash. No fatalities in the bus.

...Police assume at the moment that the crash was intentional. They haven't revealed all the information they have but they did mention that the father of the children was in the bus.

Wether it really was a murder&suicide or just a horrible tragedy the father must be going through hell at the moment.

EDIT: The newspapers had more information on the incident. She had followed the bus in her car and when it stopped she came in and had an argument with the father. The bus driver had to have her removed from the bus and soon after the bus started driving away she passed it with her car, changed direction and drove straight at the bus...

She should have at least let the children get out of the car first.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:45:23 am by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #8186 on: October 27, 2014, 11:39:57 am »
Good Let's Player:

Better Let's Player:

So DarkSydePhil?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8187 on: October 27, 2014, 02:34:23 pm »
Good Let's Player:

Better Let's Player:

So DarkSydePhil?

I think comparing gamers who talk over tutorials to DarkSydePhil is an insult to gamers who talk over tutorials.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #8188 on: October 27, 2014, 02:46:15 pm »
People who say "panicking/being depressed won't solve anything".

The proper response to this is to kick them in the balls and go "Hey, being in pain won't solve anything!"

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8189 on: October 27, 2014, 03:16:49 pm »
That's kind of my wishful answer to people who downplay pain.  Punch them in the face and when they complain that I did it, tell them to suck it up.

Unfortunately, practical answers like this tend to inspire animosity in everyone around you, so I think I shall refrain.