Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2067494 times)

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #8445 on: December 30, 2014, 01:46:13 am »
There's some guy living in Chile with a similar name to me and for some reason I keep getting his cellphone bill sent to my email. I've contacted the company about it, to no effect, and I'm not sure what else I can do.

When I got my current phone number, I discovered that the only reason I was able to get it is because the previous owner quietly and hurriedly replaced it to try and avoid debt collectors. I've spent YEARS getting calls for him (mostly from Georgia), since the guy is long past the point of being taken to court.

I looked him up and he's a local wannabe DJ who sells HVAC units as his day job. I occasionally ponder running over to the shop he works at to yell at him.

For future reference, and I say this as in the future cause you're probably past the statute of limitations, but look into the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act. It provides some good remedies, and at the very least can be used as a threat to deter future harassment. Doesn't help Sigma, but that's why America's the best country on the face of the planet. </subtle sarcasm>
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #8446 on: December 30, 2014, 10:35:09 am »
Metalgate is actually a goddamn thing, and one that's even more stupid than it's namesake.

I quit.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:38:55 am by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #8447 on: December 30, 2014, 11:53:59 am »
A new pet peeve I've recently discovered are those who accuse others of logical fallacies when their own arguments are bullshit.  What brought this out was a post on FSTDT about veganism.  The poster accused someone of the appeal to nature fallacy for saying that cats are carnivores and need to eat meat.  More recently, I saw some fundie apologist/troll in the youtube comments accusing others of logical fallacies while he himself was shifting the burden of proof (he responded to someone who said that God probably doesn't care about people shouting his name in a fast food restaurant demanding proof that God doesn't care). 

Even more annoying is that no one called him out on it. 

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #8448 on: December 30, 2014, 12:59:31 pm »
I don't really mind sex modding in itself, but it's the veneer of justification some of the sex modders try to apply to the stuff they're doing that really gets me.  I mean, if you're a turbo pervert who really wants to mod the game so it's just a nonstop sex party (Suggested mod title: "Skyrimjob"), just own up to it.  Stop trying to hide it under this obnoxious veneer of "Yes, I made this mod that gives you a giant, disembodied breast as a follower to enrich the lore of the setting".  You're not fooling anybody.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8449 on: December 30, 2014, 01:14:46 pm »
During my pokings about in Thaumcraft's (a magic mod for Minecraft) image assets, I've found that the images for the various aspects are all greyscale.  The problem?  They've got colour applied to them in-game.  This means that they're likely coloured using either some kind of key (either programmed or as an image) or are filtered during the rendering process.  That just reeks of bad design...it is TOTALLY unnecessary.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #8450 on: December 31, 2014, 11:17:59 am »
The poster accused someone of the appeal to nature fallacy for saying that cats are carnivores and need to eat meat.

Please please PLEASE tell me they were joking.  If it's not a joke then it's so fucking stupid I might actually die from it.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #8451 on: December 31, 2014, 01:08:10 pm »
1st world problem right here:

As most people can probably guess, the two main uses for "professional" telephoto lenses are sports and wildlife photography.  So why the hell does Canon insist on putting shiny, reflective metal plaques on lenses where half the target market is using them for timid, easily spooked animals?  Seriously, why would you do that? Why not just attach an air-horn that goes off every 5 seconds while you're at it.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #8452 on: December 31, 2014, 01:14:50 pm »

As most people can probably guess, the two main uses for "professional" telephoto lenses are sports and wildlife photography.  So why the hell does Canon insist on putting shiny, reflective metal plaques on lenses where half the target market is using them for timid, easily spooked animals?  Seriously, why would you do that? Why not just attach an air-horn that goes off every 5 seconds while you're at it.

Just cover it with electrical tape.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #8453 on: December 31, 2014, 01:26:12 pm »

Just cover it with electrical tape.

I just bought a Canon "L" series telephoto lens; I don't have any more money or kidneys to buy tape lol.

You can buy lens coats designed specifically to cover up Canon's inconveniently white coloured telephotos, I'll probably save up for one of them (they ain't cheap either).  Apart from anything else metal lenses get cold as a bastard outdoors so a full cover might be nice.  Just wear gloves you say? Trouble is the switches on those lenses are tiny and nearly impossible to operate with gloves on.  Just get fingerless or convertible gloves?  Yeah but then my lens won't have Real Tree camo lol.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8454 on: December 31, 2014, 01:58:47 pm »
I just realised I have an irrational pet peeve for people who call Oedipus (the character) "Oedipus Rex" (which is the name of the play).

I'm both annoyed by that and annoyed that I'm annoyed because it's pointless pedantry. It's worse than the Frankenstein/Frankenstein's monster thing.
Σא

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #8455 on: December 31, 2014, 02:18:51 pm »
I'm both annoyed by that and annoyed that I'm annoyed because it's pointless pedantry. It's worse than the Frankenstein/Frankenstein's monster thing.

Hey, the Frankenstein's monster thing is more than pedantry.  Imagine if people kept calling your child by your name (assuming you didn't name him/her after yourself of course lol)  It'd be kind of annoying right?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8456 on: December 31, 2014, 02:28:17 pm »
Yeah, sure, but "Frankenstein's monster" is a bit too long, there's no shorter version, and it's usually clear by context whether one means the monster or the scientist. It still bugs me, but as I've established before I'm annoyed by my own pedantry.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #8457 on: December 31, 2014, 02:40:46 pm »
Yeah, sure, but "Frankenstein's monster" is a bit too long, there's no shorter version, and it's usually clear by context whether one means the monster or the scientist. It still bugs me, but as I've established before I'm annoyed by my own pedantry.

If you want a "shorter version", why not call him Adam?  That's what Mary Shelly called the monster sometimes.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #8458 on: December 31, 2014, 02:44:47 pm »
You shouldn't feel bad about your own pedantry; the only people who complain about others' pedantry are people whose egos can't ever just accept the fact that they're wrong, they have to feel better about themselves by belittling the other person as if somehow they're the asshole for actually knowing stuff.  If anyone, without any sense of irony or humour, accuses you of being pedantic make sure they fully understand just how much of a cunt they are before you walk away smugly, secure in the knowledge that you're in the right and that you're better than them simply by the virtue of actually giving a fuck about truth and facts. Accuracy matters.  Try telling someone who mixes chemical explosives for a living, or a nurse giving our medications, that accuracy doesn't matter.  Ok, calling  Frankenstein's monster Frankenstein might not result in death but it's the principle that counts lol.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #8459 on: December 31, 2014, 02:46:40 pm »

If you want a "shorter version", why not call him Adam?  That's what Mary Shelly called the monster sometimes.

Weirdly I've read Frankenstein and I for some reason I don't think I knew that.  Mind you, it was a bloody long time ago, I probably just forgot.  She wasn't keeping the whole God-mankind analogy very subtle was she lol.