Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2065037 times)

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #8490 on: January 18, 2015, 05:53:19 am »
That thing where when someone comes out as queer in fiction they immediately change their entire look and get a makeover, new clothing styles, etc., often finishing with wanting to go into hairdressing or theater or interior decorating.

Before I came out as bisexual, I dressed in mostly practical and efficient clothing and my main ambition was to become a paleontologist. After I came out, I...still dressed in practical and efficient clothing and wanted to be a paleontologist.

Note to the media next time: We're still the same people we were before coming out, and to imply otherwise is just feeding the "it's a choice" bullshit.

If it has no effect on the character, is it worth mentioning in fiction? It would at least have to set up a plot point later.

There are any number of plot developments that could result from a coming-out that wouldn't involve derailing the character. Conflict with conservative parents, new love interests, etc. all work off it despite nothing else being different.

Or, it just happening naturally as part of a conversation, if it wasn't hidden and whoever they're talking to/th audience just didn't know. www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0959.html www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0972.html
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8491 on: January 19, 2015, 02:23:13 am »
Facebook: "HERE IS A HINT! LOOK WHO'S BIRTHDAY YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN! [My wife's profile]

...No, I am pretty sure I congratulated her and gave her flowers. You know, REAL roses (one from me and one each from my daughters) not just some internet flowers or a thumbs up notification on Facebook.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8492 on: January 19, 2015, 06:58:13 pm »
But if it doesn't go through facebook, how can it be a real social interaction?
Σא

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #8493 on: January 20, 2015, 08:09:32 am »
People who claim that Starship Troopers is militaristic and fascist, some of which who *COUGH* Verhoeven *COUGH* can't even be bothered to read the entire thing.

Federal service is not exclusively military service, the government is democratically elected with basic freedoms preserved, and it's multi-ethnic.

Don't get me started on the idiots who think the Bug War is similar to a race war.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #8494 on: January 21, 2015, 11:29:38 am »
Scp-231 is such a tacky and idiotic entry.
Why it's so highly regarded is beyond me.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8495 on: January 21, 2015, 12:00:01 pm »
People who claim that Starship Troopers is militaristic and fascist, some of which who *COUGH* Verhoeven *COUGH* can't even be bothered to read the entire thing.

Federal service is not exclusively military service, the government is democratically elected with basic freedoms preserved, and it's multi-ethnic.

Don't get me started on the idiots who think the Bug War is similar to a race war.

a) It is only Democracy to a degree if certain groups of people are not allowed to vote.

b) Being racist is not necessary for fascism.

c) The book is definitely militaristic. It is praise for military and militarism and explains how the military should be in charge of the nation because the politicians are incompetent. (Even when the attack fails and turns into a disaster the blame is not really put on the officer in charge. The book specifically notes that despite his high rank he fought in the front lines and valiantly gave his life so that his troops could be saved.)

d) The specific words used to describe the bug war are what caused the race war remarks. All the enemies are called by slurs such as the US soldiers commonly used to describe the Japanese and Vietnamese. It is just a soldier thing, to dehumanize your enemies and make a clear black and white worldview so that they can diminish the ethical concerns with killing people (or aliens in this case.) So, not a race war but I can see why they made the mixup. (This dehumanization of enemies is actually a thing that USA is really good at and that is why their military has problems when the situation is NOT black and white. Like Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq where one of the major problems has been that the soldiers have had trouble coping with the fact that the good guys and bad guys look the same.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #8496 on: January 21, 2015, 06:06:59 pm »
Birth of a Nation and American Sniper:
One is a black and white movie that depicts non-white races as savages and glorifies killing them, the other is an early silent film.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #8497 on: January 21, 2015, 06:25:59 pm »
D.W Griffith later made up for Birth of Nation, in the form of Intolerance.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #8498 on: January 21, 2015, 10:55:29 pm »
People who act like having/not having a specific headcannon is serious fucking business.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8499 on: January 22, 2015, 08:19:59 am »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #8500 on: January 22, 2015, 08:26:35 pm »
Ooh, another thing: whenever a normally respectable site suddenly gets a bunch of horrible people commenting.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #8501 on: January 22, 2015, 09:25:15 pm »
I'm guessing you're referring to a specific experience you've had?
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8502 on: January 23, 2015, 06:41:58 am »
Steam is recommending that I buy vanilla Fallout 3. Because I've been playing Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition. Really now, between Greenlight, Early Access and now their clearly broken recommendation system, I'm beginning to think Steam is now synonymous with godawful design.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8503 on: January 23, 2015, 10:44:25 am »
Tried recording part of a Modded Minecraft LP, only to find that, for some odd reason, CamStudio only recorded a tiny portion of the screen AND only recorded, like...5 fucking seconds of video.  Whelp, let's see if nVidia Shadowplay does any better.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #8504 on: January 23, 2015, 02:58:47 pm »
I woke up a 6 this morning, and had trouble going back to sleep because my brain decided to think about thoughts that pissed me off.