Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2067659 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #9720 on: March 01, 2016, 10:53:02 am »
I can't find a library copy. It's been out of print for a while. It's one of the earliest steam punk novels. If I hadn't actually owned the book and read it at least twice, it might as well be a figment of my imagination, for all the good my search efforts have been. My mistake was loan swapping sci-fi books with a co-worker for his books about 17 years ago. We did that every year for five years, and it saved us both a ton of money. He then died of a heart attack, and gawd knows I didn't want to pester his family about those books. I just figured I'd be able to find it at a used book store, like I had when I first bought it.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9721 on: March 01, 2016, 11:35:12 am »
Just out of curiosity I decided to check if those books are in the library near me.

...The Difference engine is, as I can see by logging into the e-library with my library card and I can reserve it for myself if I wish to do so. ...Which I think I shall and I can read it during my family vacation which starts on Thursday.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #9722 on: March 01, 2016, 11:52:19 am »
I feel you, Mellon. I've been looking for an out of print book for, well, way too long now. Best of luck! If you haven't yet, don't be afraid to leave your name and number with local used book stores.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #9723 on: March 01, 2016, 02:43:00 pm »
Yeah, that book and several other hard to find ones have been on my to do list a while. I'm hoping digital editions will pop up on kindle and my local library system, too. At least Askold can snag a copy. It's a pretty good read.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9724 on: March 01, 2016, 03:40:12 pm »
Yeah, that book and several other hard to find ones have been on my to do list a while. I'm hoping digital editions will pop up on kindle and my local library system, too. At least Askold can snag a copy. It's a pretty good read.
Out of curiousity, I did a quick eBay search, and it seems to be available. Would the be what you've been searching for?

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #9725 on: March 01, 2016, 04:33:13 pm »
I started using a step ladder to do stepping exercises so I could lose weight.  And now I have to stop doing the exercises because it turns out that's yet another thing that makes my bowels shit themselves in more ways then one.  You can't keep giving me signs that being overweight is fucking up my health, and then actively sabotage my attempts to make things better by making my life miserable when I try, you piece of shit body.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9726 on: March 01, 2016, 05:45:19 pm »
That happend to me when I started working out, it should go away after a while. Not sure why it does that, but whatever.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #9727 on: March 01, 2016, 06:28:31 pm »
I've heard developing a crack habit is a good way to loose weight.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #9728 on: March 01, 2016, 06:37:42 pm »
Not as good as cutting off your limbs, though.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #9729 on: March 01, 2016, 06:42:09 pm »
Especially seeing as you can't put food in your mouth with no hands.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #9730 on: March 01, 2016, 07:20:00 pm »
Don't worry, the fact that your body is reacting like this is a sign that 1) whatever you are doing is working 2) even though its upending how you usually feel, that's a sign things are changing.

Just take a three minute break and then commence again.

Once you're in good shape cardio wise then you can start doing bodyweight exercises, which will really help with both your body strength and your appearance.

There's also the fact that good weight habits are half formed in the gym half formed in the kitchen, so I'd advise that you cut back on portions and establish a good set of portion control habits.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #9731 on: March 01, 2016, 09:02:01 pm »
(click to show/hide)

On a much lighter note that has nothing to do with this, is there a media player besides Windows Media that just plays the song I select from my folder and doesn't add it to a stupid playlist?

Edit: Nevermind about the media player.  I figured it out.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:57:49 pm by Iosa the Invincible »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9732 on: March 01, 2016, 11:41:58 pm »
I've heard developing a crack habit is a good way to loose weight.
Personally, I prefer to tight weight.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #9733 on: March 01, 2016, 11:56:34 pm »
Out of curiousity, I did a quick eBay search, and it seems to be available. Would the be what you've been searching for?

Art, you just made my day! That's a gorgeous 20th anniversary edition (from 2011) in mint condition. I bought it. Thank you!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9734 on: March 02, 2016, 12:17:31 am »

Art, you just made my day! That's a gorgeous 20th anniversary edition (from 2011) in mint condition. I bought it. Thank you!

No problem. When in doubt, always check eBay.

Also, if you'd rather not wait for postage, it would seem that an, ahem, unofficial e-book exists. It's not Kindle compatible, but there are plenty of free .epub to .mobi converters floating about. Just thought I'd mention it is all. Do with that information what you will.